Headlights no longer retract - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Headlights no longer retract

I drove my 88 Esprit turbo this evening and I let a good friends little girl sit in the drivers seat for a few minutes, now when I turn off the headlights they no longer retract, car has never had this issue and only has 25,000 miles from new, could she have pushed or pressed something in the vehicle Im not aware of, or is this just coincidence and perhaps a fuse is blown or some other issue? The lights all still function, running lights, driving lights and high beams, any advice would be appreciated. Vehicle is still for sale to a genuine enthusiast, pearlescent white 40th anniversary model in excellent shape, adult owned and respected, with all service records, see attached new pic and additional pics in earliar post under 40th anniversary esprit for sale
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:04 PM

Can you hear the motors running when you turn the switch off/on? If so, then it's probably the bushings inside the motors which is an easy fix. Look here for headlight motor repair.
Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

If the motors are not running then you have an electrical problem. Check the fuses, relays and wiring connectors for that circuit.

Jim
1995 S4s
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 06:05 AM

If it is an electrical problem (most likely) then it is probably the relay or a connector that is not making good contact. Pull the relay and make sure all of the contacts are in position and have not "backed out" from the plastic relay block. The front relay block in front of the driver. I don't think you can blame your friend's little girl.
David Teitelbaum

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

was an electrical problem, very minor, loose connection at back of headlight switch, took maybe 10mins to chase down. I have 5 kids so didn think it was te friends kiddo, interestingly my relay / fuse housing, has an additional fuse not shown in the owners manual diagrams, instead of fuses 25-29, I have an additional fuse 30 , instead of 5 fuses in a row I have six? definately came from the factory that way and has a 3amp fuse in it, Im wondering if its for the 10 disc cd changer that came factory installed on the 40th anniversary model, does anyone know?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 05:57 AM

Very possible someone (a DPO) saw an empty slot and assumed it needed a fuse. Remove it and see what happens. Or someone added something (like an alarm or a radar detector perhaps) and used the spot for a fuse.
David Teitelbaum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in