An honest reflection on Esprit ownership..... - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billh1963 View Post
Well...I admit I am a glutton for punishment. My "collection" (such as it is) includes several MGC's, MGB's, TR6, Porsche 914's, Ferrari, and Alfa Romeo. None are paragons of reliability

Not the greatest picture, but here is one of the Mondial

A beautiful Mondy, Bill. Nice color too

If I did a Ferrari it would be the Mondial because its an easier "sell" to the family with the 4 seats. They are still very exotic and cool to.

Page 65, Section LD - what ya wanna know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 04:38 PM

Like the Esprit, the Mondial is dated in it's interior design. I like it; however, those expecting a lot of "bling" like a modern Ferrari will be very disappointed.

The Ferraris of the era (even the Mondial) have a very unique look. I think the Esprit is much better looking.

The Mondial can carry your kids or skinny adults in the rear seat. That is one advantage over the Esprit...you can drag the kids along!

Now I just have to find chargecooled car or even a V8!

I wonder how many "long term" Esprit owners there are? It seems like many owners are transient....

post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 04:53 PM

I would definitely consider a Mondial myself. I think they are under-rated, personally. They look great, are neat in that four seater Ferraris are rather uncommon, and so on.

The Ferrari I would LOOOOVE to have would be a 328, but man; way out of my price range. And I only see them going up.

2016 Chevy Cruze, manual
1987 Lotus Esprit Turbo HCi
2005 Elise
1981 DeLorean, manual, EFI conversion

post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delomike1049 View Post
I would definitely consider a Mondial myself. I think they are under-rated, personally. They look great, are neat in that four seater Ferraris are rather uncommon, and so on.

The Ferrari I would LOOOOVE to have would be a 328, but man; way out of my price range. And I only see them going up.
I would love a 328 as well. Nice ones are appreciating rapidly.

Mine sounds awesome when the revs are up. People turn to look when you get over 5000 rpm. Nothing sounds like a flat plane crank V8. That's why I'm tempted by the Lotus V8 as well. It has flat plane crank too....correct?

Maybe the OP should consider one of those?

Last edited by billh1963; 07-15-2014 at 05:18 PM.
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 06:36 PM

Yes, the V8 Esprit has a flat plane crank.

2016 Chevy Cruze, manual
2005 Elise
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 06:41 PM
BANNED

Hi s2Mikey.
Your write up was very sincere and sentimental.
Great post.

-btw the mondial is one of the three cars I can respect as a convertible.
Always loved its simple lines.
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 05:47 AM

The first Mondial I encountered was a red one way back in the '80s at Georgetown Yacht Basin--my motor head best friend Brian had to help the new owner figure out how to pull his top back. The second time I saw one was when my dad bought his '79 308 GTS at Algar [sic?] Ferrari (then located in Paoli, PA). This was black with a wonderful tan leather interior. I fell in love with that car for fifteen minutes, then alas I had to follow my dad back up the turnpike to home...

...but no matter what car came past my eyeballs or what engine ringed in my ears, nothing could keep my mind off the Esprit, twenty-five+ years running!

That Mondial is gorgeous--I love the color ("Grigio", is it?)! The interior is a really sweet color, too, although I can't quite tell its color due to my monitor's variation of the color--looks like a slate blue-grey Cheers!
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 06:03 AM

S2MIkey great write up, couldn't agree with you more. Hope you get back in to an Esprit soon.

To Bill, your Mondial is beautiful. Have not seen that color ever. Coupes are also more rare correct?

2018 AMG C43 flashed 460hp (wifey)
2017 Shelby GT350
2009 Vantage
2003 996TT X50 Upgrades 1.2 Bar
2001 Esprit V8
1994 FD
2017 F150 Eco boost (Daily)
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
I wonder how many "long term" Esprit owners there are? It seems like many owners are transient...

There are a # of us "lifers" still. It takes a special type to be one, but we all kind of get each other without ever having to explain anything really...I would not trade my Esprit for all of King Midas' silver...

2012 Lotus Evora S GP Edition #14/14
1995 Lotus Esprit S4
1991 Toyota MR2
1987 Renault GTA

www.91MR2.multiply.com
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 06:19 AM

And a shameless plug...

1995 Lotus Esprit S4
1991 Toyota MR2
1987 Renault GTA

www.91MR2.multiply.com
post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspritNOOB View Post
S2MIkey great write up, couldn't agree with you more. Hope you get back in to an Esprit soon.

To Bill, your Mondial is beautiful. Have not seen that color ever. Coupes are also more rare correct?
The color is Blu Medio Met (FER 506/C)

They are rare. This car is one of 29 (total...including all colors) Mondial 3.2 coupes sent to the US

I bought it because it wasn't the typical red. I think many Ferrari owners are scared to buy any color but red...although they love seeing the cars in other colors!
post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 PM

Actually, there's quite a few long term Esprit owners on here and out there.

As for me, I bought my first Esprit Turbo, a yellow '88, back in 1997 and sold it in 2000.
I then bought a pearl white Commemorative '88 a few months later in 2001 which I had to sell for financial reasons a short while after. It was sold at a consignment place and the new owner joined my local group (Bay Area Esprit Group). We became good friends and he would often come to the Esprit events and get-togethers that I would organize. When he found another Esprit that he wanted, he kindly offered to sell it back to me in the fall of 2002 and I have owned the car ever since...it's been almost twelve years the second time around with this car.

Lots of long term Esprit owners here on Lotus Talk and also Yahoo's Turboesprit, many of whom have owned their Esprits a lot longer than me.

Roy
post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 02:52 PM

Yup, I have seen many Esprit owners go grey during Esprit ownership (some within months ) Some have even lost all their hair I have personally not been without a Lotus in over 35 years, the majority of them Esprits and I know others on the forums who have owned them even longer. Its like all the other 'rare' marques, there are those that fall in love and those that get fed up after the first real argument and dump them, only to regret it later on in life. The key for me is the day I stop looking back at it when parked, or the day it no longer puts a smile on my face when driving then its time to move on, and neither have happened yet, but I am on my third wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo R View Post
Actually, there's quite a few long term Esprit owners on here and out there.

As for me, I bought my first Esprit Turbo, a yellow '88, back in 1997 and sold it in 2000.
I then bought a pearl white Commemorative '88 a few months later in 2001 which I had to sell for financial reasons a short while after. It was sold at a consignment place and the new owner joined my local group (Bay Area Esprit Group). We became good friends and he would often come to the Esprit events and get-togethers that I would organize. When he found another Esprit that he wanted, he kindly offered to sell it back to me in the fall of 2002 and I have owned the car ever since...it's been almost twelve years the second time around with this car.

Lots of long term Esprit owners here on Lotus Talk and also Yahoo's Turboesprit, many of whom have owned their Esprits a lot longer than me.

Roy
post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 03:21 PM

I'm hoping I'll end up being a long time Esprit owner; we'll see how it goes with my transmission issue.

2016 Chevy Cruze, manual
2005 Elise
post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esprit888 View Post
The key for me is the day I stop looking back at it when parked, or the day it no longer puts a smile on my face when driving then its time to move on, and neither have happened yet,

I was driving my Esprit today and I was tempted to take a selfie of it and me in the drive.

I was the one with the PermaSmile...

I went back into the garage a few times just to admire it and breathe deeply of the gas fumes...

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
I went back into the garage a few times just to admire it and breathe deeply of the gas fumes...
Well Atwell, guess it's time for those fuel vent lines!

1995 Lotus Esprit S4
1991 Toyota MR2
1987 Renault GTA

www.91MR2.multiply.com
post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 07:14 PM

thanks for sharing. ( i do the garage peek all the time )

The value of the esprit isnt such a big deal as they have all depreciated so much, it's not like they are going to drop more than a few percent a year if at all from this point. I actually think the values will go up in another 5-10yrs. It would surely help if lotus would build something to put them back on the map. They've always built such light weight low power cars which doesnt get them a whole lot of recognition. They've had the new esprit and other model concepts for 5+yrs now whats the hold up? If they want to get on the map they need a 500hp car. Marketing it a numbers game, if they want sales they need to forget about 80k$+ for a sub 300hp super handling car.... thats pretty much the story of the nsx right there and why no one bought them.

I love my esprit and never plan to sell it, it's almost like a trophy to myself. They are really just so rare. I could care less about most ferraris other than the f40/50/60 and those are at the cheapest 20x the cost of my lotus. The gto's are cool too but once again $$$$$$$$$$$.
post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteichman View Post
So you sold it. Funny how things work out. We bought ours around the same time, had a straw that breaks the camel's back at the same time, and now I've decided to sell mine too....

Interesting that you sold it here. I didn't bother listing it here since I figure everyone on this board already owns one. Maybe I should reconsider..
Not everyone ! Been lurking and occasionally posting here for almost as long as you guys, but no Esprit yet. When I read you were putting it up for sale, I checked into it . Looks beautiful, but holy **** you've had some bad luck with it. Honestly, I'm starting to doubt if I should really buy one. I've tried convincing myself that if I could find a "good one", it wouldn't bankrupt me or be constantly needing repairs, just budget for the major C service every 3-4 years and do the A services myself, but I'm not so sure anymore. Seems like even good cars will have major things go wrong eventually. They seem to need more attention than I could give. I do my own work on my Italian motorcycle, but pulling an engine or tranny out of a car is beyond my ability. I love the Esprit, but there is no sugar coating the fact they are high maintenance cars. An Elise is practically like a Honda Civic in comparison.
post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Like the Esprit, the Mondial is dated in it's interior design. I like it; however, those expecting a lot of "bling" like a modern Ferrari will be very disappointed.

The Ferraris of the era (even the Mondial) have a very unique look. I think the Esprit is much better looking.

The Mondial can carry your kids or skinny adults in the rear seat. That is one advantage over the Esprit...you can drag the kids along
My friend Jay has a black 3.2 Mondial coupe. I didn't know they were *that* rare. I thought the interior was nice but I'm not into luxury cars so anything with leather seems fancy to me. Riding in one as a passenger is nothing like the time i sat in an esprit, the seating position in the ferrari feels like a "normal" car. Whereas just sitting in the esprit, feels very exotic.
post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 03:01 AM

Nice discussions on this thread.

I saw a beautiful yellow Esprit a few months before I bought my Elise. When I saw it I thought, "Wow, that is special". Quite a motivation to be in the Lotus camp.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in