An honest reflection on Esprit ownership..... - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delomike1049 View Post
Ah, the "joys" of old, exotic car ownership. The 1987 I purchased was in great condition, had never given the previous owner any serious trouble in his five years, and worked flawlessly on my four hour test drive.

Ten days after purchase - horrible clutch failure lead to it going to a local exotics shop. Two and a half months later, and a bill reaching $6,000, it is still down for the count with no idea on when I'll have it back. Esprit ownership has sure not started off well for me.

My point? As always, it is best to buy the best condition car up front, but even if you do, sometimes you're just going to end up having bad luck. These are old, hand-built exotic cars after all.
You got the right attitude, Mike...I wish you all the best with Mike's old car...if you ever need a lift to use, come to Buffalo anytime...it would not be the first time your car was on my lift anyways...

2012 Lotus Evora S GP Edition #14/14
1995 Lotus Esprit S4
1991 Toyota MR2
1987 Renault GTA

www.91MR2.multiply.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 07:51 PM

Concur with the opening post sentiment. As with most here, I too love the Esprits. I have found that by following the recommended maintenance schedule I have had pretty much zero issues with mine. They are supremely enjoyable for a long road trip. 3k miles in 10 days is the longest to date. Plenty of storage space in the front and rear "boots", and very comroftable, especially at speed. And as others here have noted, they bring a big smile to my face whenever I walk into the garage or go out for a drive. Especially when I go out for a drive.

Ron Schramm

'62 Seven S2
'77 S1 Esprit
'84 Turbo Esprit
'14 Evora
post #63 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91MR2 View Post
You got the right attitude, Mike...I wish you all the best with Mike's old car...if you ever need a lift to use, come to Buffalo anytime...it would not be the first time your car was on my lift anyways...

Thanks Joe! Would love to see your Esprit as well; perhaps before the driving season is over? If my Esprit isn't ready by then, I could bring either my Elise or my DeLorean.

By the way, your website link in your signature doesn't work

2016 Chevy Cruze, manual
1987 Lotus Esprit Turbo HCi
2005 Elise
1981 DeLorean, manual, EFI conversion

post #64 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:36 PM
Integrator

Garage
This thread is worth continuing !

Let's compare "then" and "now" remarks...

When driving my Esprit, I have experienced more manifestations of admiration by complete strangers, than when driving any other car, EVER!

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 06-11-2019 at 07:58 PM.
post #65 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:02 PM

Knock on wood my Esprit has been pretty trouble free. It had been stored for quite a while before I bought it so I popped for a full C service and check over by an experienced Lotus dealer. Even then I had a few electrical niggles and a leaking heater matrix that I replaced myself. Since then I've spent almost nothing to maintain it (hope I'm not jinxing anything). Regardless of how good you think your new (to you) Esprit is you still need to give it a very thorough going over. Once done, and properly maintained, these can be great, reliable cars. I like driving something different and enjoy the fact that most other drivers don't tend to automatically hate you like they do many Porsche or contemporary Ferrari drivers. Quite the opposite - illustrated by a 50 something guy who came up to me when I was in my Esprit recently and commented that he had a poster of my exact car on his bedroom wall when he was a kid. We talked for almost half an hour. How many cars get that kind of love.
post #66 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:37 AM
Integrator

Garage
I am quite happy.
I've made a pilgrimage to a large British Car Show, 1300 miles round trip, without any major trouble. Have to recharge the A/C, which probably leaked out over the winter. Many "thumbs up" from fella motorists on the way up.
post #67 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:08 PM

Garage
This thread was started by the PPO (Previous Previous Owner) of my car. Unfortunately, my 87 Esprit is not nearly as trouble free as my late 88.

I certainly enjoy driving it (those of you on the Facebook Esprit group need no explanation). But given I've had it since June 2016 and have about ~7K miles, it's had more than a few hiccups compared to my late 88.

As with the 88, I have full blown Service C and numerous items fixed for full daily driver capability. While I don't daily drive the Esprit anymore, it is ready and willing - most of the time.

Living in Silicon Valley, there are plenty of interesting/exotic cars that overshadow 'legacy' supercars like the Esprit. As 2Many Cars (also a local Northern California Esprit owner) knows, there are certainly older guys like me that know exactly what the Esprit is about - the main difference is that people like us actually are fortunate to own them.

However, I always wanted a Giugiaro Esprit and I literally have been living the dream. Few folks are fortunate to do so and I feel so lucky to fire up my Esprit at lunchtime and go for a drive - anytime, anywhere. While I'm not doing the twisties, there is an immense satisfaction that I'm driving the car of my teenage dreams in and around town just like any other car.
uklad99 likes this.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #68 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:54 AM

TIL: "... garage peeks ..."
Erik L likes this.
post #69 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:28 PM

Critics can say what they want ….. and I'll be happy to meet them somewhere within reason

On track at Daytona....either the infield SCCA 'school course' or the 24 Hours course [twice] nothing yet has passed my 1997 Esprit V8 under power.

Y'all come.

But then frankly nothing ever passed me in the Ford F-250 Turbo Diesel either....which would include the Sebring short course as part of an SCCA Driver's school weekend. How else does one get out on track there?
post #70 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekgt View Post
This thread was started by the PPO (Previous Previous Owner) of my car. Unfortunately, my 87 Esprit is not nearly as trouble free as my late 88.

I certainly enjoy driving it (those of you on the Facebook Esprit group need no explanation). But given I've had it since June 2016 and have about ~7K miles, it's had more than a few hiccups compared to my late 88.

As with the 88, I have full blown Service C and numerous items fixed for full daily driver capability. While I don't daily drive the Esprit anymore, it is ready and willing - most of the time.

Living in Silicon Valley, there are plenty of interesting/exotic cars that overshadow 'legacy' supercars like the Esprit. As 2Many Cars (also a local Northern California Esprit owner) knows, there are certainly older guys like me that know exactly what the Esprit is about - the main difference is that people like us actually are fortunate to own them.

However, I always wanted a Giugiaro Esprit and I literally have been living the dream. Few folks are fortunate to do so and I feel so lucky to fire up my Esprit at lunchtime and go for a drive - anytime, anywhere. While I'm not doing the twisties, there is an immense satisfaction that I'm driving the car of my teenage dreams in and around town just like any other car.
I'm in the same position as Eddie. As much as I love the car, there has been times when I seriously considered painting it lemon yellow. Part of the blame is the fact that these are hand built cars 30+ years old. Most of the blame is from the PO, who drove the car hard and 'put it up wet'. He did a crappy out of engine rebuild in 2006, and apparently worked on the transaxle too, the end result being me just finishing a long engine rebuild and purchase of new transaxle. But it is what it is, they're awesome cars to drive and I always enjoy taking mine out for a spin.
I've attached a list of what I've had to do to the car since purchasing it in 2012.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Repair overview.doc (27.5 KB, 15 views)

DD- '97 Ford E350 diesel van
Toy- '83 Esprit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in