The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

How Many S4s Esprits are still "alive" in USA?

9K views 54 replies 31 participants last post by  APB 
#1 · (Edited)
Between 1995 and 1997 there were 366 S4s Esprits built, of which 331 in 1995 alone.
Of 331 cars 158 were exported to USA. I’m pleased to report that #158 sits in my garage!

If you have S4s,
please chime in and post the color, State or Town and last 4 digits of the VIN.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Atwell,

If your referring to the post by flowersrj, then no I have not seen anything to suggest that.

I can say that the R12 A/C setup was changed out to R134a prior to my ownership.

Also, my assembly date on door plaque reads 12/94 and I was told by someone at a LOG that they saw it at the Detroit Auto show back when. I bought it out of that area too.

Plus, I was told by someone from the factory visiting LOG that never was the first model of a Lotus sent to America first, despite it being the only one built in '94.

-Rich

#9 ·
When I first started looking for a Lotus I searched for an S4s because it is the pinnacle of the evolution of the Lotus Esprit 4 cylinder. I quickly came to the realization that they are rare and do not come up for sale often. Of the few that were for sale at the time, they were all in need of a LOT of attention and were priced way too high for their current condition. Weighing all of the options I concluded that for just a bit more money I could get a V-8 which was newer, a much larger group to choose from, and more powerful. It also did not have the problematic Delco brake system. The V-8 does have some drawbacks. It is heavier, and the cost of parts and service is higher. Looking back, if the right S4s was available I would have bought it but I am happy with my V-8. It did take a while to sort out all of the problems but that would probably have been the case with any other Lotus. It was a shock when I had to do the clutch and the parts alone cost me over $2,500! And it took me a year to figure out my hard hot restart problem was bad injectors. I console myself that at least the brakes work well.
David Teitelbaum

#23 · (Edited)

NJ : Norfolk Mustard Yellow... Vin # 3126. Last I remember the number was 142 cars.

Dominick
(No Wing Filler Holes Present [emoji3])

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#25 ·

I met a guy at the Princeton LOG 2 years ago who had a green S4s. It was Ralph Stechow’s ( RS Motorsports ) old S4s. Very clean car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.