Interesting cars on ebay - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 AM

Tom,

Is Garth about 6' 2" or taller, and used to have sandy hair? I bought my 1977 S1 from Star Motors back in the day, the owner had a very trick scca Europa they raced out of the lotus shop, and I am describing their mechanic they had back then, he was very good.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 06:41 AM

That is a beautiful car. It has been on CL for a while now, even back before I purchased my S4. Best of luck to you hope you will be happy with it as I have been with mine.

You've come to the right place for advise and info. The guys here are great!

Not sure where you are located but here is one in Florida for the same price at 6500 miles.

Cars for Sale: 1995 Lotus Esprit S4s in Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315: Coupe Details - 340056998 - AutoTrader.com
post #43 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspritNOOB View Post
Not sure where you are located but here is one in Florida for the same price at 6500 miles.
Yeah, I'm in Seattle, so it's hard to get further away from FL.

I really favor the Giugiaro style, but the more modern Esprit (especially the 95MY with the Brembos) is a smart move for me.

I told the Ministress of Finance, that I won't have to work on it and can spend the next year upgrading bathrooms, cooking, doing laundry, landscaping the back forty and just generally paying attention. She is skeptical, but approved the capital expenditure request anyhow

Now, I have to put on my FAA Inspector face and do a through and objective inspection of the car before I drive off - it will be difficult to keep emotion at bay, I really like the green, what other color can a Lotus be? Black, I think, the rest not for me.

Esprits look very nice in red, but I'm not into waving flags at bulls!

Jim

post #44 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphoenix View Post
Yeah, I'm in Seattle, so it's hard to get further away from FL.

I really favor the Giugiaro style, but the more modern Esprit (especially the 95MY with the Brembos) is a smart move for me.

I told the Ministress of Finance, that I won't have to work on it and can spend the next year upgrading bathrooms, cooking, doing laundry, landscaping the back forty and just generally paying attention. She is skeptical, but approved the capital expenditure request anyhow

Now, I have to put on my FAA Inspector face and do a through and objective inspection of the car before I drive off - it will be difficult to keep emotion at bay, I really like the green, what other color can a Lotus be? Black, I think, the rest not for me.

Esprits look very nice in red, but I'm not into waving flags at bulls!

Jim
Honestly, if the G-car is what you prefer then thats what you should look for. Dont avoid them due to reliability concerns or whatever. A great G-car is a great car, period. Just like a shady S4 is a shady car, period. My '87 G-car has been mainly a flawless machine. Id hop in it and drive it anywhere just as quick as any S4 owner without worry. Of course they'd get there FASTER.... but, ya know....

Red is my favorite. Its the only car other than a 308 Ferrari that looks majestic in red Black, Green, White - Esprits are good looking enough that color is hardly a concern.

Page 65, Section LD - what ya wanna know?
post #45 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Dont avoid them due to reliability concerns or whatever.
Actually, I'm just the opposite, I can work on anything and mechanical issues don't scare me. I have a tendency to adopt the un-loved mutts and restore them to better than new (incurring much greater expense than buying a well-maintained version of course).

The black 85 I'm partial to here is in very nice condition, so reliability is not the factor in this decision - the more I read and research about the 94/95 S4, the more I like it from a driver's perspective. The V8 is cool, but I'm more of a four cylinder guy.

I think I like the G car more from an aesthetics perspective - agressive, seventies looks with big meaty tires - very cool. But Spring is here and I don't want to look at it, I wanna drive it to Montana with my Newfoundland puppy hanging his head out the sunroof and slobbering all over the wing

It's possible I'll be flying back from Spokane tomorrow, if so, next step is the black 85 and I won't be a bit disappointed.
post #46 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Actually, I'm just the opposite, I can work on anything and mechanical issues don't scare me. I have a tendency to adopt the un-loved mutts and restore them to better than new (incurring much greater expense than buying a well-maintained version of course).

The black 85 I'm partial to here is in very nice condition, so reliability is not the factor in this decision - the more I read and research about the 94/95 S4, the more I like it from a driver's perspective. The V8 is cool, but I'm more of a four cylinder guy.

I think I like the G car more from an aesthetics perspective - agressive, seventies looks with big meaty tires - very cool. But Spring is here and I don't want to look at it, I wanna drive it to Montana with my Newfoundland puppy hanging his head out the sunroof and slobbering all over the wing

It's possible I'll be flying back from Spokane tomorrow, if so, next step is the black 85 and I won't be a bit disappointed.
Ive always liked the 4-banger too. There is no reason for a G-car to only be a looker! They prefer to be driven and enjoyed rather than sit. It seems that many of the low-mile cream puffs are mechanical nightmares underneath the shiny paint due to lack of use

There is no doubt that the S4 is more refined, faster, and a "better" overall performer. Its a different experience for sure. The V8? I just never got on with them. The are more like Italian exotics - higher prices, more finnicky engines, heavy on the electronics(more stuff to cause issues), harder to work on, etc, etc. Nothing quite like the V8 power though. Its in an entirely different league and I can only bow to it.

ANY Esprit is an awesome car from an S1 up to a 2004 V8 final edition. They still make most other cars look boring and stupid. And, they drive like nothing else out there. Ya cant go wrong!

post #47 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 02:17 PM

Depending on your own physical size, be sure you fit in any G-car or the early Stevens cars. I had no trouble years ago when they were new, but I'm bigger these days. I am not at all comfortable in a 1990 SE I considered, but my S4 fits fine. Drive before you buy!
post #48 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:

that's pretty funny.
post #49 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 06:21 PM

Good luck on your adventure tomorrow Jim, I expect you will be like a kid before Christmas, and not sleep much tonight.

Maybe you should take a big red ribbon with you, then you could have Christmas colors!

Have a safe trip, and have fun! Keep it under 170! I think lotus recommends rasing the tire pressure to 38psi if you are running over 149 for an extended amount of time....

Brian
post #50 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:46 PM

Hopped on a Horizon Dash 8 this morning and flew to Spokane to look at this Esprit. It was as advertised, drove the car (OMG - I wasn't entirely ready for the Esprit experience!) and bought it.

Needs some thing, left mirror inop electrically, center mirror broken off, but otherwise a very nice car. All maintenance records all the way back to new. All services done on time. Looks like the cam covers are weeping a bit, but no drips anywhere. New rotors and pads 4 months ago, have like a hundred miles on the brakes.

Met sister Kat and brother Pat for some Mexican and admiring of her new BMW 328 (very nice car and a Black Lab and two Shih-Tzu's fit nicely in the back seat - something the Esprit does not have!)

Drove it home, 275 miles to Seattle and it ran very well. Engine temps and pressure nominal. Very windy out on the Palouse, but warm, so I got it warm and turned on the AC and climbed some hills and watched the temp needle move slightly up, then immediately back down, so looks good. Oil temp wnt to 60 and stayed until I hit the cold rain, then everything dropped a bit.

The brakes are new but the rears need bleeding. Haven't figured out the heater controls yet, AC works great, tires had way too much pressure, so I fixed that at the first rest stop. I still don't like the Continental tires at all, hated them on my Volvo, so those are going soon. Engine is OMG amazing. Tranny and clutch flawless, but I need driving shoes fer gods sake

It has a vintage stereo with a cassette player - wow, that was like 20 years ago right??

What an amazing car, power is just out of this world. Handles like a go-kart on rails and is very comfortable. I'm 5'11", admit to 225 lbs. and it's plenty of room for me - but I used to squeeze my fat butt into an open class glider every weekend for 6 hours or more, so small and tight is right at home

So - it's just never an adventure until something goes wrong, right?

PO's hambone mechanic did a butcher job on the windshield wiper arm, bad taper fit that he tried to fix with a washer under the nut and a thousand pounds of torque on the nut, but taper still loose ya dummy. So wiper quit wiping after 5 minutes in the rain, but motor still running. Easy fix but TSA does not allows tools in your carry-on and I wasn't going to check a bag for $25 just to haul tools over the Cascades, so I had only screwdrivers I bought to install the temporary center mirror from the Spokane Auto Zone. I needed a wrench and a large area washer.

I stopped at the Board Shop in Easton, WA and the nice lady there loaned me a crescent wrench, so I robbed a large area washer off the engine compartment cover bolt and sorted the wiper arm. Now I can see through the rain at the top of the pass. Thanks Board Shop Lady in Easton, with her Flat-Coated Retriever Cody! I bought one of her handmade knit ski caps as payment for the tool loan, it's a very nice ski cap.

So, here's a surprise - a cassette deck! I was worried it would not have a USB port in the stereo and I'd have to resort to the old stereo jack plug to the iphone, but when I saw the cassette deck on the faceplate, I gave up all hope and got out the earphones. I mean really - when was the last time you saw a JVC 6-disc CD changer in the trunk of a car!!

Wiper works great now, rest of the drive was uneventful except that 75 mph feels like 50 and the car is wondering when we're gonna get going!

Boy that was fun!! What an amazing machine. Funny how the Mustang guys want to blow past showing their incredible acceleration ability - if they only knew

post #51 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 08:18 PM

Extremely nice.

I think I even like the green now that I see it in real road poses.

Like...like.

2014 Audi R8 5.2 V10 Spyder
1998 Lotus Esprit Twin Turbo -- Sold
post #52 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:26 PM

Excellent! Very happy for you!

2012 Lotus Evora S GP Edition #14/14
1995 Lotus Esprit S4
1991 Toyota MR2
1987 Renault GTA

www.91MR2.multiply.com
post #53 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:04 AM

Oooh the green is nice. Congrats!
post #54 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:25 AM

Congrats Jim, welcome to the nut house!

Glad you took time to try the S4, I think you understand now what I was doing a lousy job of explaining about the uniqueness and feel of the S4. It is the most developed 4 banger Esprit to ever hit our shores.

You don't drive a S4, you wear it.

Love the green, the darker colors might have a small advantage of flying under the radar a little better, yellow or red just seems to say give me a ticket!

Now get that smile off your face, and start on the wife's list of tasks to do!

Brian
post #55 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:55 AM

EXCELLENT STORY!
post #56 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 12:59 PM

So, today I started in on the minor items discovered during the 275 mile trek home. The wiper still working nicely, but replaced it with an ANCO refill.

The rear brakes were squealing badly on the way home, when slowing to a stop, sounded like they were not used very much or not fully working. I pulled into the last rest stop outside Seattle and purposely braked hard, got out and felt the brakes - yup, rear brakes not helping out at all.

The rotors and pads were just installed last December and they have maybe 500 miles on them at the most, so I figured somebody did not bleed the brakes.

So, got out the manual, depressurized and went to check the fluid - but hey, no need to check, it's obviously overfilled. There's brake fluid all over the master cylinder now that the accumulator is empty - dumb bunnies!! I mean, it's very clear in the manual that you must depressurize the brakes before checking the fluid level - AND it's written on the top of the brake fluid reservoir cap!!! Oh well, it's not the DPO, it's the DPO's mechanics again.

So, I drain a pint of brake fluid, get the Ministress of Finance to sit in the driver's seat (don't get any ideas I told her! She replied that she really likes her new car, very comfy - uh oh) and we bleed the rear brakes. I thought at first something was wrong because nothing came out for 5 seconds, then fluid started bubbling out, holy cow, that's a lot of air!. Another 20 seconds to get it to run clear. Did the left side, same thing, lots of air.

While I had the LR wheel off, I noticed a missing exhaust stud with the capture plate hanging free, so I put a new stud and nut in and re-fastened the capture plate to the nut. Doesn't appear to have been leaking badly, but I suspect a new exhaust gasket is in the cards. PO had a new exhaust installed in 2008.

The, I repaired the center mirror and re-installed, now I have 2 out of 3 mirrors working properly and went for a drive, ahh rear brakes!! Very nice! I ran down the hill highway and bedded them in, obviously they weren't working, but now they are working very well. No pulling, just a nice quick stop.

Now I need to order a new stereo to replace the museum piece, then go drive
post #57 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 02:03 PM

Congrats, welcome and enjoy!

Jim

Jim
1995 S4s
post #58 of 1461 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 03:38 AM

Jim - Great car! The green is a terrific color too. Fairly rare and it fits the car perfectly.

And, yes, you need driving shoes. I have a pair of Pumas that work really good and are comfortable to walk around in too.

Welcome to the insanity.....

post #59 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Nice looking car for $25K if it doesn't get bid up:

Lotus : Esprit ESPRIT TWIN TURBO in Lotus | eBay Motors
post #60 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 03:13 PM

Thoughts?

The turbo emblem looks to be off of a Porsche...

Lotus : Esprit SE in Lotus | eBay Motors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in