Interesting cars on ebay - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacarrier View Post
Thoughts?

The turbo emblem looks to be off of a Porsche...

Lotus : Esprit SE in Lotus | eBay Motors
The Turbo emblem is off. Man, that looks sexy and I'm not generally a fan of yellow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Quote:
Thoughts?

Looks like a decent car, but that is a lot of miles compared to others out there, so the price will take a hit for him even if it is a good car.

It's riced out far beyond Porsche turbo emblems, which is never good for an Esprit. If it were me, I would count up how much it would cost to restore it to original and factor that in when making my comparison decision of condition/resto effort/cost. That dash is probably a sticker on top of the cracked original wood. You may not be happy with that up close.
post #63 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 04:30 PM

The fact that the photos have been enhanced makes me question it. Not a fan of the black front end..

post #64 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 05:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thoughts?

Umm... Knock off Porsche Turbo badge - sold at Walmart and Pep Boys if memory serves.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #65 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 07:40 AM
'94 S4

Congratulations on your S4. I just bought one too. I know what you are feeling.
post #66 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaibasil View Post
Yeah not a chance. There is a forum member who had an S1 like you decribe, white with tartan interior. Pretty much a nut and bolt restoration, at least I remember the engine and all of the brakes, suspension and driveline got rebuilt, brand new interior with nice paint, a beautiful turn key car, although I think there were a couple minor things that weren't "correct", like an S2 steering wheel and front bumper. Anyways he had it for sale for about a year. IIRC he was asking something like 25k which seemed totally reasonable, but when it finally did sell, I think it was for under 20k. The same person also sold a really clean but original black/red Turbo S3 for about 15 or 16k.

That black S1 looks great but is probably a garage queen. I mean a 35 year old car with 9k miles ? The only 4 cylinder I have seen go for that kind of money was an X180R. It was at a local specialty car dealer and sold on ebay a year or two ago for around 55k. Worth every penny IMO.

I have noticed that 88 anniversary before. They have reduced it a bit, but obviously not enough. The interior is the nicest 88 I've seen but I just don't think there is anyone willing to spend 35k on an 88, no matter how good the car is. It happens to be one of my favorites. I think the early Stevens cars are second in looks only to the S1 and S2, but what I have seen from watching Esprit sales, 25k would set a new market high for an 88, 35k is dreaming. I have seen exceptional examples of older Ferraris sell for way above the average car. For instance recently there was a great condition 308GT4 with factory sun roof that closed for high 30's, a lot for that model, but there doesn't seem to be the same appreciation for exceptionally nice classic Esprits.
I ended up selling the White/Tartan S1 that you described at 20,000 even. It was a gorgeous car with a brand new interior from England and was a correct factory Monaco White/Tartan car. Full mechanical resto and a strip down of the body and paint. The steering wheel was a Turbo wheel and the front lower skirt was off an S2 but otherwise the rest of the car was all stock. I sat on it for about 4-5 months trying to get 25 but at the time the most expensive one on the market. I had many guys tell me how high the price was but now barely a year and half later average S1's in decent shape seem to be priced around the 12-15 mark. Should have held on to it longer but that's the way the market goes. I dont believe that black S1 on Ebay is worth even remotley close to the asking price of 50 grand!! The S1 prices for non restored cars have not even traded hands for that kind of money. The only market that seems to be taking a big jump upwards is the UK market. I think I saw not too long ago a White Tartan S1 full nut and bolt resto with an asking price of $70,000 USD!! Not sure what happened to the car. I think it was only listed for a few weeks then disappeared. Will be interesting to see where the market is starting to turn on these cars, I have been watching Elan prices slowing creeping up past the $30K mark, maybe the Esprit will be right behind
post #67 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:33 PM

Betting part of reason in the UK for higher prices is lower availability.. I seem stuck in the land of sports cars which are undervalued. Prior cars were Porsche 928 S4 (sold for approx $80k new in 1989), couple of 1990's 300ZX's (one NA one Turbo in incredible condition)... Porsche 911 (996 model which of course held its value like trash)...

Crazy how well 1980's 911's hold value though.. Especially the 930 Turbo models! YIKES! Most in the $50k - $75k range!
post #68 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusespritse View Post
Looks like a decent car, but that is a lot of miles compared to others out there, so the price will take a hit for him even if it is a good car.

It's riced out far beyond Porsche turbo emblems, which is never good for an Esprit. If it were me, I would count up how much it would cost to restore it to original and factor that in when making my comparison decision of condition/resto effort/cost. That dash is probably a sticker on top of the cracked original wood. You may not be happy with that up close.
Any idea how much it would cost to have the black front piece painted yellow?
post #69 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

$500 to $1000 depending on the shop

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #70 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
$500 to $1000 depending on the shop

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Other than the random badges, sticker above tailpipe, wheels and front black bumper, does anything else stand out as "not stock" or "riced" as you said before? What about estimated cost with getting back to original? I'm working on learning what other things to look for with these cars. Thanks!
post #71 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 AM

Looks like it has been bid above the reserve, so it will sell. Had not looked until just now, but noticed it is Avon CT about 50 minutes away from me! Let me know if someone really really wants a test drive first thing in the morning, will work for coffee. Looks decent from the pics aside from the non-stock stuff. I would replace those wheels too.
post #72 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekgt View Post
Umm... Knock off Porsche Turbo badge - sold at Walmart and Pep Boys if memory serves.
Yep - Pep Boys 'Turbo' emblem:

Pilot Turbo Stick-On Emblem | Product Details | Pep Boys

FYI there are official 'Turbo' emblems from Lotus, but obviously very expensive and the script matches the 'Esprit' emblems on the rear side glass. These Pep Boys' emblems appear to be on front, rear, and possibly side front fenders.

They are similar to Porsche 'Turbo' emblems and are $5.99 each (vs. Lotus OEM badges at 36.68 pounds - $55.38 at today's exchange rate - EACH)

The only 4 cyl Stevens models I've seen with 'Turbo' badges were on the European models - mid-rear fender only. The badges were never on the rear or front. And it was 'Esprit' on top, 'Turbo' on bottom.

My 88 US Esprit has zero Turbo badging.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'

Last edited by sleekgt; 05-14-2013 at 12:05 PM.
post #73 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 PM

I would never add to my 1994 S4 but always liked the earlier models with the

turbo
esprit

sticker behind the doors...

post #74 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 05:08 AM

In San Antonio
No reserve auction

Makes me wonder why "This 52k mile beauty has been stripped down to bear frame, and undergone a very tedious, and extensive restoration. The Frame has been sand blasted and re-galvanized, with all of the brackets, arms, and bolts sand blasted all re-zinced. "

Lotus : Esprit S4 | eBay

Yup.. only year with mid-mounted wing... BWAHAHAHAHA
post #75 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifeZ View Post
In San Antonio
No reserve auction

Makes me wonder why "This 52k mile beauty has been stripped down to bear frame, and undergone a very tedious, and extensive restoration. The Frame has been sand blasted and re-galvanized, with all of the brackets, arms, and bolts sand blasted all re-zinced. "

Lotus : Esprit S4 | eBay

Yup.. only year with mid-mounted wing... BWAHAHAHAHA
That is the most bizarre thing. No accidents, yet the entire frame had to be removed for refurb which is not even remotely typical. Shocked it only cost $12K to do all that work. It does look clean in the pics so unless it's a mechanical train wreck, the no reserve auction is probably going to be a low selling price.

It's definite car selling season. Lots more Esprits on eBay now, including this one that's been for sale forever for high asking price. This is a lesson to all you that think you can just get whatever price you think the car is worth and ignore the market. You will break down eventually after not selling the car for more than a year and be so desperate to sell you'll get less money than your previous offers:

Lotus : Esprit Turbo in Lotus | eBay Motors

1995 Lotus Esprit S4S for Sale in Tequesta, FL 33469 - Global Autosports
post #76 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 05:45 AM

Both of those you posted look to be great buys (as long as mechanicals, etc. good). IMHO the wheels on them detract from them and are at least a small part of their not selling...

This is probably my favorite on ebay right now..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lotus...56a16d&vxp=mtr

Makes me wish I could have the 1999 dash update in my 1994...
post #77 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 05:53 AM

Both links are for the same car.
post #78 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifeZ View Post
Makes me wish I could have the 1999 dash update in my 1994...
You can have the dash update starting from 1998, like mine
post #79 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanj View Post
Both links are for the same car.
Im my message there are 3 links with 2 cars. One is a S4 and the other a S4s.
post #80 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
That is the most bizarre thing. No accidents, yet the entire frame had to be removed for refurb which is not even remotely typical. Shocked it only cost $12K to do all that work. It does look clean in the pics so unless it's a mechanical train wreck, the no reserve auction is probably going to be a low selling price.

It's definite car selling season. Lots more Esprits on eBay now, including this one that's been for sale forever for high asking price. This is a lesson to all you that think you can just get whatever price you think the car is worth and ignore the market. You will break down eventually after not selling the car for more than a year and be so desperate to sell you'll get less money than your previous offers:
That might be true for the most part - but if you have a truly well sorted car in top running condition then you'd be nuts to give it away. Top cars get top dollar. The nickel-and dimers looking to "steal" the car can hunt for jalopies that need $7K worth of immediate work at their own peril. They aint getting a top car for $15K. No way.

As you know, Exotics dont work like regular cars and do not have to follow the "market" as much. Thats because there is such a small number of them to choose from. Sure, there is always a "going rate" for Esprist, 308s, whatever but the best cars are always worth well above that range, IMO.

Page 65, Section LD - what ya wanna know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in