Interesting cars on ebay - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
As you know, Exotics dont work like regular cars and do not have to follow the "market" as much. Thats because there is such a small number of them to choose from.
I agree. I probably over-paid for mine a bit, but I was ready to buy a v8 and there were very few for sale. The car was in excellent condition and I was tired of waiting. It was worth it for me to pay a premium instead of waiting forever to get a "deal."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Quote:
That might be true for the most part - but if you have a truly well sorted car in top running condition then you'd be nuts to give it away. Top cars get top dollar. The nickel-and dimers looking to "steal" the car can hunt for jalopies that need $7K worth of immediate work at their own peril. They aint getting a top car for $15K. No way.

As you know, Exotics dont work like regular cars and do not have to follow the "market" as much. Thats because there is such a small number of them to choose from. Sure, there is always a "going rate" for Esprist, 308s, whatever but the best cars are always worth well above that range, IMO.
Dude, if no one will buy your car at your asking price, what are you going to do?? Go on to a forum and rant about how your car is a good value. That's not going to sell your car above what people are willing to pay. The market is the market. This guy with the S4s has had that car for sale for more than a year at almost double the asking price than he is willing to take now to get out of this car in desperation mode. That's the lesson. Nothing of what you said matters if no one wants to pay your price.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #83 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusespritse View Post
Dude, if no one will buy your car at your asking price, what are you going to do?? Go on to a forum and rant about how your car is a good value. That's not going to sell your car above what people are willing to pay. The market is the market. This guy with the S4s has had that car for sale for more than a year at almost double the asking price than he is willing to take now to get out of this car in desperation mode. That's the lesson. Nothing of what you said matters if no one wants to pay your price.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Agreed - maybe what I meant to say is that unless you are truly desperate or in a complete financial jam, I suggest sellers NOT sell the car too cheaply "just to sell it". Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Im on board with that. I also believe that something can only be bought for what someone is willing to sell it for. Two way street.

I just dont want to see people dump their Esprits or any other exotic for dirt money. It hurts values and ultimately will end up in the hands of a cheap skate since their actions and behavior when buying(being cheap and lame) will transfer over to the care of the vehicle. We then "lose another one" forever. Probably a strange view on it, but thats how I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipTT View Post
I agree. I probably over-paid for mine a bit, but I was ready to buy a v8 and there were very few for sale. The car was in excellent condition and I was tired of waiting. It was worth it for me to pay a premium instead of waiting forever to get a "deal."
Im with you. I had been looking for years and years and then my current car shows up for sale. It was priced quite a bit higher than the others I had looked at. But, guess what? It blew them away and it wasnt even close. Sounds like you got a great car and are very happy with it. How can anyone ever say you got a "bad deal"? You got a great deal. I also overpaid for my Esprit. I did feel that way at first but then I looked around and did the math. I got a GREAT deal as far as Im concerned. Awesome car, great condition, virtually no trouble at all. The $5K premium I shelled out at the time is probably the best $5K Ive ever spent and I certainly dont miss the $5K. Having too much fun

Page 65, Section LD - what ya wanna know?

Last edited by s2mikey; 05-16-2013 at 09:29 AM.

post #84 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Quote:
I just dont want to see people dump their Esprits or any other exotic for dirt money. It hurts values and ultimately will end up in the hands of a cheap skate since their actions and behavior when buying(being cheap and lame) will transfer over to the care of the vehicle. We then "lose another one" forever. Probably a strange view on it, but thats how I feel.
I have the opposite theory on what hurts the Esprit market. I believe that if you unrealistically overprice the car for a really long time and then have to dump it cheap because of those actions, you hurt the valuations. It's not that uncommon to see Esprits for crazy money. One guy had a G car in Australia that was, for all practical purposes, a regular G car that was painted like a Bond car. He wanted $120,000 firm.

Guess what? That turns serious buyers away from these quirky cars that would otherwise pay a healthy price. You upset the supply/demand balance for Esprits when those buyers decide they might as well by Ferrari or Lambo for that money.

The market for Esprits is always going to be depressed compared to other more famous brands and models -- that's just a fact. It never reached the brand status, and it won't get there any time soon.

These overpricing sellers that think they are going to fix the market and defend Lotus honor by asking crazy high prices are just like the people that go 50mph in the 65mph fast lane so they can help slow down traffic to save lives.

Don't be that guy. It doesn't save lives, and you won't help the Esprit market by overpricing and letting your car sit on the market forever waiting for that miracle buyer that never comes.
post #85 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
The market for Esprits is always going to be depressed compared to other more famous brands and models -- that's just a fact. It never reached the brand status, and it won't get there any time soon.
I don't think this is necessarily true. As a percentage of brand new MSRP, Esprits aren't too far off in value from other cars. Yes a 15 year old Esprit is cheaper than a 15 year old Ferrari, but it was also half the price new.
post #86 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm11010 View Post
I ended up selling the White/Tartan S1 that you described at 20,000 even. It was a gorgeous car with a brand new interior from England and was a correct factory Monaco White/Tartan car. Full mechanical resto and a strip down of the body and paint. The steering wheel was a Turbo wheel and the front lower skirt was off an S2 but otherwise the rest of the car was all stock. I sat on it for about 4-5 months trying to get 25 but at the time the most expensive one on the market. I had many guys tell me how high the price was but now barely a year and half later average S1's

I had a huge crush on your S1. Incredible car. Wish I could have driven it, but I wasn't about to waste your time if I didn't have the money. Your S3 was great looking too. And it had cold AC ?

There is a blue S1 project on eBay that looks cool but I know it would take a lot to get restored. Better off buying one already done. Did it go out of Arizona ?
post #87 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 PM

post #88 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Stilling doing God's work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanj View Post
This guy is clearly ruining the market. Lotus : Esprit in Lotus | eBay Motors
It's not worth 55k in my opinion.
post #89 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
I have the opposite theory on what hurts the Esprit market. I believe that if you unrealistically overprice the car for a really long time and then have to dump it cheap because of those actions, you hurt the valuations. It's not that uncommon to see Esprits for crazy money. One guy had a G car in Australia that was, for all practical purposes, a regular G car that was painted like a Bond car. He wanted $120,000 firm.

Guess what? That turns serious buyers away from these quirky cars that would otherwise pay a healthy price. You upset the supply/demand balance for Esprits when those buyers decide they might as well by Ferrari or Lambo for that money.

These overpricing sellers that think they are going to fix the market and defend Lotus honor by asking crazy high prices are just like the people that go 50mph in the 65mph fast lane so they can help slow down traffic to save lives.

Don't be that guy. It doesn't save lives, and you won't help the Esprit market by overpricing and letting your car sit on the market forever waiting for that miracle buyer that never comes.
Define unrealistically priced though? $120K for an Esprit? Thats beyond unrealistic, its stupid, absurd, lame, and horrifying all at once. You should know I dont mean THOSE kind of prices! Its not about fixing the market either, its about dealing with the market and how many buyers throw the old "I can get one of those on e-bay for $14K" stuff that Im talking about. They apply that pricing to just about every car out there. Doesnt work. I learned by shopping for a while what you get and dont get and that you need to "up" the ante to get a strong car.

What Ferrari and Lambo are you getting for the same money as a good Esprit? In my cars price range($20K-ish), I would have had to have settled for a totally clapped out, worse performing, harder to maintain, and just as hard to resell Ferrari 308. Lambo? Like a Jalpa? You aint getting one for $20K and if you do I ensure your bank account and blood pressure will both head in the wrong direction. Sure, a Mondial can be had for that money but those arent exactly the most desireable car out there. Thats it unless I forgot some cheaper models. You can get a nice 4V 308 for S4 money but the S4 will run circles around it. It wont sound as good though And, check Ferrari parts prices. My friend has an '84 308. Great car. ass-pounding parts prices.

Look - Im probably saying this wrong or something. Im not talking about asking $30K for a G car or $45K for an S4. Im talking about not just dumping the thing off to some clown for the lowest common denominator.

The market will "fix" itself. Once people realize that these cars are rather special and they'll never make anything like it again. People will miss them, along with some other Euro classics.

Page 65, Section LD - what ya wanna know?
post #90 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:42 AM

Hmmm....

Lotus : Other Super Car in Lotus | eBay Motors

an "SE3"?

Not too bad double din integration...

Dig the wheels!
post #91 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:02 AM

This car belongs to a friend of mine, he is extremely meticulous.
post #92 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanj View Post
This car belongs to a friend of mine, he is extremely meticulous.
Damned nice Double DIN install! And I like the CF HVAC panel..

Hmmmm.. Mind ringing him and see if he would trade either my OEM 1994 S4 wheels and tires (less than 750 miles on them) or my Saturns with great tires plus some $ for his Nova's? Seriously...
post #93 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM

I'll see him tomorrow and ask.

I have a friend that is looking for some S4 wheels, send me an e-mail with details, and pics if you have them.
post #94 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:36 AM

I also know him. He RESTORES old Lotus race cars, for crying out loud! His Esprit is better than new.

Tony
Indianapolis
'10 Evora | '66 S2 Super Seven 1500 Cosworth | '99 Birkin (sold)
post #95 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Keeping the original seats is a sign he's a smart guy. He should put them back in before the sale though and sell the other seats.

Nova's should never be sold as part of these cars. They are too valuable and you never get the money for them that way. He's leaving $2-3K on the table by doing that.
post #96 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyseven View Post
I also know him. He RESTORES old Lotus race cars, for crying out loud! His Esprit is better than new.
Yep, here's a couple he did:
1970 Lotus 61 Formula Ford for sale (red)
1969 Lotus Type 61 Formula Ford for sale black
post #97 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 03:19 PM

Heads up, I saw a black 98 on ebay that looks like a relatively great deal. New clutch and recent C service. Opening bid of $22,900 no reserve. 50k miles but apparently only 2 owners. No relation to seller, just thought I'd tell everyone.
post #98 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaibasil View Post
I had a huge crush on your S1. Incredible car. Wish I could have driven it, but I wasn't about to waste your time if I didn't have the money. Your S3 was great looking too. And it had cold AC ?

There is a blue S1 project on eBay that looks cool but I know it would take a lot to get restored. Better off buying one already done. Did it go out of Arizona ?

You would not have been wasting time, you should have called me. The car ended up with a surgeon in Indiana. Was sad to see it leave AZ. I wish I had kept it. My S3 was gorgeous too, I loved the color combo and yes the AC was cold on that one! Currently have a Monaco White/Charcoal S4s that I am enjoying at the moment. Am seriously considering another G car to add to the garage
post #99 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:17 PM

This one has been around for awhile... Anyone have the scoop on this?

Lotus : Esprit Turbo SE Coupe 2-Door | eBay
post #100 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaibasil View Post
Heads up, I saw a black 98 on ebay that looks like a relatively great deal. New clutch and recent C service. Opening bid of $22,900 no reserve. 50k miles but apparently only 2 owners. No relation to seller, just thought I'd tell everyone.
I bought my 98 from a pilot like this 98. They do take good care of the mechanicals of their cars. My previous owner is a great guy and good friend now, but I can say he was not much into "fettling," which is fine by me because I like that sort of thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in