Interesting cars on ebay - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacarrier View Post
This one has been around for awhile... Anyone have the scoop on this?

Lotus : Esprit Turbo SE Coupe 2-Door | eBay
I posted on that one before. It was for sale for a long time just a few miles from my house for around $16K. It sold several times, if you know what I mean. I even talked to one of the buyers that backed out of the deal when he saw the sad condition of the car in person. It's a previously wrecked car that apparently was not put back together well. They wouldn't let you see it in person unless you bought it first (never a good sign). It sure does photograph well, but they probably paid some low dollar bidder to do a quick and dirty redye on the seats to get them to look good long enough for the photos. I noticed they are using old pics for the interior. Those are the pics when it was for sale in Houston a year ago. The buyer said the exterior paint is horrible in person.

And the dealer down here couldn't get it running right at the time -- something with the turbo they said -- so it looks like they sold it to a flipper. The car doesn't even show up as being registered since it was for sale down here in Houston. Funny how the seller is saying he's selling because he got a new sports car when he hasn't even registered this car. And he doesn't talk about any service since 2007, but we know it needed major work since then. He also added the "no warranty" clause to his auction. I am thinking that flipper is regretting getting into that car because they will probably be extremely lucky if they manage to break even after a bunch of effort.

In short, unless you can get it for about $7K, I wouldn't go near it. And even then you'd be better off paying $20K for a really nice one.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 05-27-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusespritse View Post
I posted on that one before. It was for sale for a long time just a few miles from my house for around $16K. It sold several times, if you know what I mean. I even talked to one of the buyers that backed out of the deal when he saw the sad condition of the car in person. It's a previously wrecked car that apparently was not put back together well. They wouldn't let you see it in person unless you bought it first (never a good sign). It sure does photograph well, but they probably paid some low dollar bidder to do a quick and dirty redye on the seats to get them to look good long enough for the photos. I noticed they are using old pics for the interior. Those are the pics when it was for sale in Houston a year ago. The buyer said the exterior paint is horrible in person.

And the dealer down here couldn't get it running right at the time -- something with the turbo they said -- so it looks like they sold it to a flipper. The car doesn't even show up as being registered since it was for sale down here in Houston. Funny how the seller is saying he's selling because he got a new sports car when he hasn't even registered this car. And he doesn't talk about any service since 2007, but we know it needed major work since then. He also added the "no warranty" clause to his auction. I am thinking that flipper is regretting getting into that car because they will probably be extremely lucky if they manage to break even after a bunch of effort.

In short, unless you can get it for about $7K, I wouldn't go near it. And even then you'd be better off paying $20K for a really nice one.
Wow, okay thanks. I inquired about the car months ago when I first saw it for sale but had uneasy feelings about it with lack of maintenance records and the accident.
post #103 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
This one has been around for awhile... Anyone have the scoop on this?

Lotus : Esprit Turbo SE Coupe 2-Door | eBay
FYI here's a trick I learned that works well since Google is like a sledge hammer.

Type in the VIN as the Google search - sometimes not only will the eBay auction show up, but salvage sale postings (CoPart), previous sales postings (Autotrader), and random flipper activity (Craigslist) will show up. And this stuff can reach back YEARS of activity.

If a VIN turns up on a Google search, the frequency can indicate the turnover rate of ownership.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'

post #104 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaibasil View Post
Heads up, I saw a black 98 on ebay that looks like a relatively great deal. New clutch and recent C service. Opening bid of $22,900 no reserve. 50k miles but apparently only 2 owners. No relation to seller, just thought I'd tell everyone.
I can't believe there's not a single taker on that one at $22,900. Wow.
post #105 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipTT View Post
It looks like a great car to me also.

However, since there is no reserve, it's to your disadvantage to bid early. What you don't want as a buyer is a bidding war. I say look to the last 10 - 90 seconds of this auction to find out who is really interested.

2003 Final Edition

Last edited by davidwh918; 05-28-2013 at 07:59 PM.
post #106 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 09:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Note a few things unique to eBay on this car:

1. Read the fine print - cars older than 10 years old are not covered by their VPP (Vehicle Protection Plan). This is not unusual,but those not familiar with eBay may think they are 100% covered in a bad deal - they are NOT.

2. Autocheck score of 66 - below the 'minimum' of 69.

3. Autocheck indicates 5 Title changes - potentially up to 5 owners, not 2 owners as mentioned earlier.

The seller's ad sounds reasonably good and honest by my gut feel. But I'm also not bidding $22,900 on it either .

Certainly sounds like a good deal for a V8.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #107 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekgt View Post
Note a few things unique to eBay on this car:

1. Read the fine print - cars older than 10 years old are not covered by their VPP (Vehicle Protection Plan). This is not unusual,but those not familiar with eBay may think they are 100% covered in a bad deal - they are NOT.

2. Autocheck score of 66 - below the 'minimum' of 69.

3. Autocheck indicates 5 Title changes - potentially up to 5 owners, not 2 owners as mentioned earlier.

The seller's ad sounds reasonably good and honest by my gut feel. But I'm also not bidding $22,900 on it either .

Certainly sounds like a good deal for a V8.
As great as it sounds, once you take everything into consideration its kind of dodgy. More owners than stated. Why do people claim stuff like that when its so easy to verify?

And, with 10 minutes left the bid-sniping will start. The car will not sell for $22,900. Not very likely. I hope it doesnt!

Page 65, Section LD - what ya wanna know?
post #108 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 08:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
As great as it sounds, once you take everything into consideration its kind of dodgy. More owners than stated. Why do people claim stuff like that when its so easy to verify? [snip]
To be clear, a previous thread poster mentioned 2 owners, not the seller. They may not have seen the Autocheck details.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #109 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
To be clear, a previous thread poster mentioned 2 owners, not the seller. They may not have seen the Autocheck details.
My bad - so sorry

post #110 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
The current owner has had it for 2 years. It doesn't seem uncommon to see people sell Esprits after driving then for a couple of years.

He says his son is leaving for college, my PO sold at the time his son was leaving for college also. I remember when my son was beginning college and my feeling at the time was "get ready, this is going to be expensive!".

I tend to take this guy at his word on his reason for selling. That isn't to say if I were in the market I would buy it sight unseen but I don't see any alarms in the description.

The autocheck score is lowered due to a reported accident so I'd want to know what that was all about.

2003 Final Edition
post #111 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

And, with 10 minutes left the bid-sniping will start. The car will not sell for $22,900. Not very likely. I hope it doesnt!
Well, it didn't. Ended with no takers even at $22,900.
post #112 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Well, it didn't. Ended with no takers even at $22,900.
Wow - something had to be wrong then.....????

post #113 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 11:35 AM

I think it must have sold locally, it says it was removed by seller because item is no longer available.
post #114 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 11:58 AM

There's a sweet S4s up for $26,500 buy it now - looks like a very nice car! And it's my favorite color - green

Jim
post #115 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Quote:
I think it must have sold locally, it says it was removed by seller because item is no longer available.
Either that or he panicked that there wasn't going to be the bidding war he had hoped for and he was about to sell the car for thousands less than his expectations.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #116 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 04:04 PM

And how about that 99 S350 in FL with 21k miles on it for $28,990? I was talking to a guy at the SCCA Majors last weekend, he has an 87 G car, but he's looking at V8 Esprits because they are becoming very affordable. I think he's right.
post #117 of 1461 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 09:33 PM

That FL car was an Azzure Blue right? It went for 35k no reserve and had an CEL on in the photos. Nice car but who knows what it needed done?
post #118 of 1461 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtzmd View Post
Nice car but who knows what it needed done?
Maybe the seller and the purchaser?
post #119 of 1461 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Did this Esprit do all of it's 15,000 miles in an enclosed trailer???

Lotus : Esprit Coupe in Lotus | eBay Motors

How can it look this new? It has me wondering if some of the pics are from when they took delivery 10 years ago. Even the steering wheel doesn't have the warped cover like every single other Esprit steering wheel.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 06-01-2013 at 09:43 PM.
post #120 of 1461 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

What part of this deserves to have the Lotus name associated with it?

Maguire Lotus Esprit , March 792 based, less engine, UK roadrace; SCCA Solo 2 | eBay

Seems like they should be sued by Lotus instead for trying to copy the silhouette, but the case would just be thrown out because they did a crap job of trying to copy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in