The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

INTERIOR & INSTRUMENTATION - CREATIVE CONCEPTS

31K views 106 replies 32 participants last post by  MRDANGERUS 
#1 · (Edited)
Show us your ingenuity!
Any clever/unique/un-usual ideas?
Anyting other than shifter knobs, please!
DIN displays, cameras, instrument panels, additional gauges, seats, anchors, gadgets, gizmos, widgets, etc.

Example:
I was looking for the way to add couple of gauges, like engine oil and trans temp. I read about someone who added a 3-way rotary switch to read all 3 using already existing (water temperature) gauge. Pretty clever!

What say you?

PS. LOU, what are the steering wheel switches and buttons for?

Attachments

See less See more
#36 ·
just found a pic... this guy had to install the unit with 2 extra inches sticking out of the dash so the screen would flip up all the way:

he also mentioned that his knuckles hit teh screen when shifting though...

another method would be to use a flip out unit that flips out farther like this kenwood unit:
but evidently there are problems with the binnacle still with this unit.

I did find one (only one i can find) flip DOWN unit on ebay:

if it flips out far enough it might clear the heater controls below the head unit

any other input is appreciated!

#35 ·
how easy would it be to custom fabricate a different smaller heater control panel that could be moved down so that a double-din flat thouchscreen could be made to fit in the SE console? I know the later S4 and on cars already had the smaller heater controls and a little cubby that could be eliminated, and ive seen a double din in more than a few cars...

#40 ·
Kenwood KVT-516 and KVT-910, they flip out much further than other DVDs and therefore flip-up screen clears out the binnacle.

#41 ·
Anybody have suggestions for a radio/CD/MP3 unit that has a refined, 'grown-up' look; something that won't look really stoopid in an '86 Esprit?

Seems like all the aftermarket car audio these days looks like it was designed by teenage video-game-junkies.

#42 ·
Have you considered a Blaupunkt ATLANTA 110? Very good/proven/classic looking radio/CD player, and fits Esprit console opening.

#45 ·
Here is a picture of my double din radio install and Raid Steering wheel. (Full writeup on the center console/stereo mod at Esprit ICE Installation

I actually sold the car in 2007 but just bought her back! Cant wait to get home to see her :)

Anyway, the console mod wasn't bad at all. I plan to upgrade all the electronics to a touch screen windows machine running Centrafuse front end.

Attachments

#48 ·
Another non-flipper
I'm wondering what is the "Griffin Technology" knob for?

Attachments

#49 ·
That is a multi purpose computer interface device. I have one on my gaming computer. That isnt a standard radio, it is a dash mounted computer monitor. They probably have a full blown Windows media center computer installed. You can get them small enough to mount in the dash behind the screen or seperately behind the seat etc. I am actually planing on doing the same thing. Total cost around $1500.

Where did you locate that picture? I would like to find out more about their setup.

#50 ·
Ahaa!
Prime gadget!
I got it from one of the car ads on eBay, a while ago. May be someone will chime in.

#52 ·
Ultrasonic Parking Assist System - anyone?
[snip]
From a gadget viewpoint, this looks cool; prices certainly have come down.

Cosmetically, not sure I want the sensors drilled into bumper; maybe discreeting hanging in the grill area.

But practically-speaking, my parking skills are pretty good - I can parallel park in San Francisco on a 30% incline with 99% accuracy - in the Esprit no less - without any assist. But cranking that non-power assisted steering ain't no fun :sad:

The kit may allow you to park in tight spots, but increases the likelyhood the OTHER driver will be boxed in tight and bump your car trying to get out.

Even in San Francisco, I try to get a parking space that has some reasonable room; otherwise, I'm just ASKING for a hit/run damage.

Overall, this kit would be a potential hazard for me in San Francisco, and marginal use in San Jose (work parking is plentiful and no sensors needed).

#55 · (Edited)
I found (yet) another flat bottom leather wheel, V340.33GR Volante Sport 330 Grigio.
Made in Italy.
Center button has been transplanted from my previous wheel. It provides more knee room.

Attachments

#57 ·
#59 · (Edited)
Looking for some decent rear view camera.

Most of the devices on the market have a low resolution picture.

Any good impressions/suggestions, anyone?

Check out this video on YouTube:

Looks like CCD camera is the way to go!

#60 ·
In-Dash Single-DIN DVD/MP3 CD AM/FM Receiver with 3.2 Inch Widescreen TFT Digital Monitor
Compatible With Audio and Video Output of iPod / iPhone, Smart phones, and MP3 Players.On the front of the BV7330 is an input labeled "AV IN," which allows the input of audio and video signals from MP3 players, smart phones, and portable music players using a cable with two 3.5mm male plugs. Has input jack for the rear view camera,

#62 ·
Looking for your input regarding GPS speedometers.

What is good/bad, calibration, installation outside diameter, etc.
I heard, that they may be finicky.

I'm looking at AutoMeter, but this heavy bezel looks like it belongs on the steam locomotive...

The SPA gauges look much better, but I don't know where this picture came from and how old is it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.