Jack and tool kit pictures? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Jack and tool kit pictures?

Could anyone post a picture how the jack and a tool kit should be placed/held in place on the 1988 US Esprit, please?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 09:23 AM

Garage
Like this - I noticed that my *cough* friend's 87 has the jack in a different location - next to the driver side headlight pod (next to spare tire cubby hole):

88 Esprit jack mounting - there is a hole in the cover and jack that slides on top of the bracket on the firewall:

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 09:26 AM

Garage
I don't have picture of toolkit as my 88 didn't have one.
I bought a toolkit for completeness, but my redtop battery would not hold the Lotus plastic cover with retention strap.

So I never used it and gave the Lotus plastic cover to a fellow 88 owner recently.

And my *cough* friend's 87 holds the tool kit where the 88 holds the jack - go figure

87 Esprit - just for fun - the jack is in the wrong place as the mechanics were working on the radiator and disassembled the trunk contents:

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 11:22 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
As for the toolkit on top of the battery box, I have attached a few pics of the mounting orientation.

The plastic tray has a few 'bumps' on it that help position the 'box. The handle of the toolkit needs to be facing the front of the car for it to lie flat...away from the retaining hook.
Name:  P9180002.JPG
Views: 479
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  P9180004.JPG
Views: 465
Size:  62.5 KB

If the rubber strap is stretched, dried out, and has lost it's resilience, it won't hold the toolkit snugly. When new, it fits 'through' the handle as shown. As it gets older, it won't be tight unless it goes 'around' the outside of the handle.

Name:  P9180008.JPG
Views: 464
Size:  61.0 KB

I included a picture of my original dried-out rubber strap. I'm in the process of sourcing new rubber straps, stay tuned.
Name:  Small IMG_1658.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  18.6 KB
I also included a picture of the results of 25+ years of stretched British rubber...and a pic of my own jack. If you look close, you can see how old and stretched the rubber strap is.
Name:  P9180009.JPG
Views: 515
Size:  60.3 KB

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 01:58 PM

I have the same as above, but took the spare Wheel out and the Jack as well. And added an extra homebrewn toolkit to supplement the original one in the back.

Kind regards,
Jacques.
Attached Images

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
As for the toolkit on top of the battery box, I have attached a few pics of the mounting orientation.

The plastic tray has a few 'bumps' on it that help position the 'box. The handle of the toolkit needs to be facing the front of the car for it to lie flat...away from the retaining hook.
Attachment 1012074

Attachment 1012042

If the rubber strap is stretched, dried out, and has lost it's resilience, it won't hold the toolkit snugly. When new, it fits 'through' the handle as shown. As it gets older, it won't be tight unless it goes 'around' the outside of the handle.

Attachment 1012050

I included a picture of my original dried-out rubber strap. I'm in the process of sourcing new rubber straps, stay tuned.
Attachment 1012066
I also included a picture of the results of 25+ years of stretched British rubber...and a pic of my own jack. If you look close, you can see how old and stretched the rubber strap is.
Attachment 1012058
Thanx,
BUT,
who were they kidding!
What is in the kit?
My "tool kit" weighs 200 lbs and it fits in the 3-tier tool chest, LOL.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 09:58 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDANGERUS View Post
What is in the kit?
Here's what is in the toolkit. I added a smallish breaker bar to aid in releasing stubborn lug bolts.

Name:  P7300003.JPG
Views: 435
Size:  62.2 KB

The fuses are worth every ounce, right @JennasEspritTurbo?

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 11:28 AM

The tool kits are a complete joke. On older cars they used to be real tools useful for all of the expected roadside repairs most any driver would encounter including flats, cleaning and adjusting the spark plugs, points and such. I say leave the tool kit for the Concours and assemble what you really need and think you might use. All depends on your level of skill and just how much you expect to have to do. A well maintained car needs less than a POS. Tools are of limited use if you don't also carry spare parts so just how much ARE you going to carry? Especially on a car like a Lotus where space is precious. Fuses are a great idea, don't forget a couple of bulbs too.
David Teitelbaum
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:19 PM

Dragging up an old thread...

SJ Sportscars sent along the strap to secure the toolbox atop the OEM battery cover I scored from the UK on eBay. I needed to fabricate the retaining bracket using Atwell's wonderful photos, and it's all together with an NOS tool kit sourced from Matt at Lotus Western New York.
Attached Images

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:38 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
SJ sent me an ample supply of that strapping too. Since I took those pictures in 2016, I made new straps for several local owners (and sleekgt).

Another thing that occurred was that the gray foam in the lid of my OEM tool box started to disintegrate. It's just like the headliner material backing, but 10X thicker. No wonder!

I replaced it with some other foam I sourced (it helps to have a wonderful wife who always orders well-packed stuff online, LOL)

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in