Key fob question - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Key fob question

When I press the alarm deactivator the little red light comes on - is this normal? I know it means low battery but I thought maybe thats only if it stays on. Also can you replace battery and not screw up the alarm - I have no immobilizer key to reset if something goes wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:23 AM

Normal if it continually flashes whilst the big button is pressed down.

From the manual

"A small LED tell tale on the
transmitter fob will flash whilst the button is held down to indicate
correct operation, but if the lamp flashes irregularly or only once,
transmitter battery replacement is required
"

[Edit oops - in ref. to the Elise fob]

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Moderator Extraordinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
When I press the alarm deactivator the little red light comes on - is this normal? I know it means low battery but I thought maybe thats only if it stays on. Also can you replace battery and not screw up the alarm - I have no immobilizer key to reset if something goes wrong.
Usually when the battery is low the LED will not flash but stay on when the button is pressed. It then usually stays on until you replace the battery or until the battery goes completely dead. Does the fob still activate or deactivate your alarm? I'm guessing at this point it is no longer working. Normally you can slip out the old battery and slip in a new one without having to reset the fob as long as you do the exchange fairly quickly. Seeing as you do not have your PIN and the fob needs a battery you are left with little more than trying a new battery and seeing what happens. It is better to try putting the new battery in at home and having the fob fail than to come out to your locked and immobilized car in a parking lot only to find out the fob will no longer work and now you can't drive the car. You are unfortunately in a bad situation and this is why it is so important to keep a good battery in your fob and to always have the alarm PIN on hand for your car........

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! Mine still works but I only have one FOB and no way to program a new one so I can't take chances. My owner's manual got moist and the glossy pages seem to be coated with glue so it's useless for me to look up stuff like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 05:16 AM

you need to get the PIN from a Lotus dealer before you regret it. What model of alarm do you have?
Michael
Quote:
Thanks! Mine still works but I only have one FOB and no way to program a new one so I can't take chances. My owner's manual got moist and the glossy pages seem to be coated with glue so it's useless for me to look up stuff like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 06:28 AM

Depending on the alarm you have there may or may not be a "pin" #. You have to get the cylindrical immobilizer key (at LEAST one!)l. Progamming a cylindrical key IS a big deal. Lotus will tell you it can't be done, you have to buy a new alarm module with new cylindrical keys. There is a guy who can sell you a key fob (and program it) and 2 cylindrical bypass keys. You have to remove the alarm module and send it to him with your one key fob. Not cheap but cheaper than buying a new module. Driving around without a bypass key is dangerous. If the alarm messes up you will be stuck. I have to look up the key fob programming procedure again but I think to program a key fob you need a bypass key!!!!!!!!!
David Teitelbaum
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Point me in the right direction - I'd like to have a back up or just get rid of the alarm altogether.BTW- mine is a '99 V8
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 07:17 AM

I have the "Touch Keys" and "Remotes" available. To determine if you need a PIN you need the Cobra model number.
Remote Key Fob, Alarm & Immobilizer Programming
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/...7/#post1332268

Michael
Quote:
Point me in the right direction - I'd like to have a back up or just get rid of the alarm altogether.BTW- mine is a '99 V8
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 07:51 AM

I can get you the contact info tonight. If you have a '99 there is no pin #. I do believe you have to have a cylindrical bypass key to get into programing mode to program another key fob so have to send it out even if you just wanted another key fob.
David Teitelbaum
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:02 AM

You have a model 6422 Cobra alarm with no PIN. Here are the instructions for programming the remotes, but you need a programmed Touch Key first.
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 6422 Remote programming.pdf (89.8 KB, 386 views)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all! Having just one way to start the car has been bugging me since I bought it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:39 AM

To get two cylindrical bypass keys and have them programmed to your alarm contact:
Add Lightness Motorsports
3801 Charter Park Ct STE E
San Jose, CA 95136

Larry Marasla

408-264-6300
[email protected]
If you need another key fob, the one for the Elise will work. They go for about $125. Best if you can send everything to Larry and he will program it all for you. He does require the alarm module that is behind the passenger air bag. The car will not run without it. Make sure you insure the module when you ship it. He has the "jolly" programmer to make the alarm module accept a new cylindrical bypass key. He does not work cheap and the bypass keys are not cheap either. You MUST have at least ONE!!!!!!!!
David Teitelbaum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in