It will come on usually at 5k in 3rd or 4th gear. I do
not have an OBD scanner so I could not
scan at that time and the light would reset by
the morning. Anyway as luck would have it the lift
came on near an auto zone and I was able to
have it scanned. Result. P0328. Knock sensor
so any ideas what may be causing it and why
it will reset and is it just a matter of replacing a
sensor or is this a sign of something bigger??
Thanks for any feedback.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 PM

PO328 in the manual calls it a circuit high input in the knock sensor circuit. Most likely cause a bad/dirty/intermittant ground connection on the clutch housing. Not likely a bad sensor. Pull the trunk floor and check the ground connections on the top of the bell housing. Could be a broken wire at a connector.
David Teitelbaum
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 PM
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red

Do you have the Hi-Torque ECU upgrade on your car?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 06:10 AM

This problem should have no relation to the type of ECU. That said, he SHOULD have the high torque upgrade in any case. It is a worthwhile investment (makes the car run *better*) and is a necessity in some State's emission testing programs, it includes some "fixes" for communication bugs. Easy to tell once you remove the cover under the right rear quarter panel window. On the big silver box there should be a sticker or Magic Marker. If it doesn't SAY High Torque then you can assume it isn't.
David Teitelbaum
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 09:12 AM
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red

David,

We have confirmed on other forums at least 7-8 owners who got their early Esprits upgraded to the Hi-Torque chipped and then experienced CEL P0328 when jumping on throttles in 3rd or 4th. (Including myself)

We have also discussed with Lotus support in UK on that particular issue.

Alan
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 10:50 AM

There are actually 2 "High Torque" firmware upgrades. It may be possible one of them was to correct this issue. If the error IS related to the upgrade then you are right, you must get in touch with Lotus support. The other possabilities include living with the intermittant error or getting an ECU without the high torque firmware. It may still be possible there IS a problem in the ground side of the knock sensor circuit. It can't hurt to check the wiring.
David Teitelbaum
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvesprit View Post
I do
not have an OBD scanner so I could not
scan at that time and the light would reset by
the morning.
For future reference, the ODB-II system will (or at least is supposed to) store any CELs that get triggered. Even though the CEL may not be lit, the system retains the error code in it's memory and can be read by a scanner..

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 03:24 PM

You are corect that a code will store and *should* be there to read. It has been my experience that is not always the case and it seems to depend on the code. Less important codes don't always store and if they do they may not stay for many cycles. In the Manual it does say the codes are supposed to store for 40 engine warm-up cycles. May not always happen especially if you have a weak battery and the voltage drops enough during start-up. If the headlights "pop" don't expect stored codes to last!
David Teitelbaum
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 02:16 AM

Angry P0328

I have had my 2001 Esprit at Scottsdale Lotus for the past few weeks trying to get the infamous P0328 issue resolved. No luck so far. However, it appears that this problem is becoming more widespread. Numerous owners have now reported the same issue and no one has found a solution. In fact, the service tech. told me that another car just came into the shop with the same issue. For what it's worth, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the ECU. They swapped out my current ECU with a loaner ECU from Lotus and the problem did not go away. They have also confirmed that replacing the knock sensor does not correct the problem. They are still working on it.

Steve
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 05:07 AM

Maybe the knock sensor IS working properly and under low vacuum conditions you are getting some pre ignition. Make sure your sparkplugs, gas, etc are in top shape. Check any source for a vacuum leak.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 06:33 AM

Supposedly Scottsdale Lotus also tried using a smoke test to check for a vacuum leak. No cigar. Whatever is happening appears to be age-related since it never occurred early in the life of our cars. Hopefully we will get it sorted out soon.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 07:03 AM

If you have ruled out the ECU by substitution then you are down to the wiring (and connectors) or the knock sensor itself. The manual says to check the grounds on the bell housing. I would check the whole ground path back to the ECU. After that the next step might be to substitute a known, good, knock sensor. In the knock sensor circuit the knock sensor does not have it's own discrete ground wire. It screws into the engine and grounds through the motor itself. To get to the knock sensor you have to partially remove the intake plenum. If the knock sensor was detecting detonation you should have caught a PO326, not 328. An interesting typo in my manual, there are TWO PO326's. I have to assume the second PO326 *should* read PO328. Maybe there is an error in the basic firmware and the code you caught really should be a 328. The thing to do is to watch the operation of the knock sensor on a scope as this happens observing the output as it lights the MIL. If it really is a 328 maybe the gas they are selling in your area is not the octane you think it is!
David Teitelbaum
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

All great feedback. After some talk and reading
I'm going with the option of watching, since
it only happens under the exact same circumstances
each time. Normal driving never an issue, also
I think since we have no emmision control here
it may be time to say goodbye to those pesky
cats. However let's keep this alive and see
if any of the lotus dealers/mechanics come up with a
solid answer
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 10:05 AM

Getting rid of the cats is not going to "fix" this code. In fact, it will cause other codes, the ECU needs to see the O2 sensors and the ones after the cats need to have different values than the ones in front of the cats or they will throw codes. If this problem is age related then it could be the knock sensor has a finite life or there is a wiring issue that surfaces after a period of time because of corrosion. Is this problem mainly in one area of the country, dependant on the # of miles, what do the cars with this problem have in common? The gas supplied in the area, the local temperature maybe? The shop servicing the cluster?
David Teitelbaum
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Don't think it's regional mine is an east coast car and the other that I know about is a west coast car. I do know that removing the cats can
throw other codes, but they can be "fooled" fixed. I really just
want to wake the neighbors and the added HP. Happy holidays
to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in