Lotus Elise airbag steering wheel conversion kit for the Lotus Esprit - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 05:36 AM
Cal H

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiaj View Post
Duneomatic sells the right adapter for Elise steering wheel - it's your choice using other adaptor that its not meant for the steering wheel you bought -- after all, there are safety to consider......say the fitment of the air bag?

You might as well buy the raid.
The fitment of the airbag is the function of the steering wheel itself.

The hub is the interface between the steering wheel and the splines of the steering stalk. It resembles a disc. Both the Raid and Elise hub adapter have the same mating splines on the stalk side or the center mounting hole. The difference is the actual diameter of the hub itself and tapped bolt holes that the wheel attaches to the hub. It is my understanding the hub diameters are different sizes. It does not mean it is impossible to interchange them. Just that it involves more investigation.

With that being said. It is possible to drill and tap new holes in any adapter to mate up with any wheel if you know what you are doing.

One must remember that both the Raid and Elise hub kits are made for fast and easy installation by even a novice wrencher. I would think if you have the ability to modify a hub you would have modded one of the off the shelf hubs sold by many auto outlets.

I forgot that instead of drilling/tapping new holes in the hub it may be possible to drill new holes on the steering wheel side to mate up with the existing tapped holes of a hub if you can do so without negative impact to the integrity of the steering wheel

Cal H

Last edited by maxvelocity; 10-02-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvelocity View Post

One must remember that both the Raid and Elise hub kits are made for fast and easy installation by even a novice wrencher. I would think if you have the ability to modify a hub you would have modded one of the off the shelf hubs sold by many auto outlets.
So easy a tard like me can do it. I have had both and I definitely like the feel of the RAID wheel much better but either one would drastically improve the interior of the car.

2018 AMG C43 flashed 460hp (wifey)
2017 Shelby GT350
2009 Vantage
2003 996TT X50 Upgrades 1.2 Bar
2001 Esprit V8
1994 FD
2017 F150 Eco boost (Daily)
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 06:13 AM
Cal H

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspritNOOB View Post
So easy a tard like me can do it. I have had both and I definitely like the feel of the RAID wheel much better but either one would drastically improve the interior of the car.
Oh stop it. You are not a tard. You should change screen names as you are no longer a NOOB. You going to LOG 35 in Colorado next Aug?

Cal H

post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvelocity View Post
Oh stop it. You are not a tard. You should change screen names as you are no longer a NOOB. You going to LOG 35 in Colorado next Aug?
Thanks Cal still have a lot to learn so by far still a NOOB.

As for LOG 35 I highly doubt it but thanks.

*Shameless Plug*

2017 Shelby GT350
2009 Vantage
2001 Esprit V8
1994 FD
post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Cal H

The Raid CF wheel is a good fit for your car. You are one of the very few that knows first hand the look, fit, and feel of both wheels as you have had both wheels installed in your car.

Think about attending LOG 35. I spent some time with Atwell at 34. It was a like 12 years since I last saw him in person. It is always nice to meet others in person too. I think this is as close as you are going to get near a LOG. I have always heard about the WCLM as wish I could attend it one day.

Cal H
post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiaj View Post
Duneomatic sells the right adapter for Elise steering wheel - it's your choice using other adaptor that its not meant for the steering wheel you bought -- after all, there are safety to consider......say the fitment of the air bag?

You might as well buy the raid.

I ask because I have an Elise wheel in hand and someone offered an adapter but it was for a Raid wheel. Figured I would ask those who have done the conversion before buying it and "figuring it out". I agree that those adapters are supposed to be plug n play. I know a machinist or 2 but would like to not bother them if I can just buy something already. Now if someone sent me the measurements however...
post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryder 6 View Post
Anyone know off hand if the Elise adapter and the Raid adapter are similar/the same?

They are similar in that they serve the same purpose but are not interchangeable at least not without quite a bit of modification and it still wouldn't look right...

Jim
1995 S4s
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 07:10 PM

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for.
post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 08:51 AM
'94 S4

Nothing new here, except to me. Posting a thanks to espritNOOB for great deal on the wheel & hub and to duneomatic for sending directions even though I didn't buy a hub from him. NOOB is happy w/his Raid wheel and I prefer the Elise one (because it's Lotus) so it's a win-win. Sight lines are fine but boost gauge is mostly blocked. I can see the bottom of the boost dial so I know what's happening w/o moving my head around. Besides the aesthetics improvement over the GM wheel the best difference is the weighting it adds to the S4's power steering feel. The huge wheel made it too light for me; the Elise wheel negates some of that. The car responds to even small movements on the wheel so being smooth and relaxed with it is the challenge. Totally happy w/this.
Attached Images

Gallagher likes this.
post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 10:48 AM

Alright! Anything is better the stock wheel!

Enjoy buddy.

2017 Shelby GT350
2009 Vantage
2001 Esprit V8
1994 FD
post #51 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 12:19 PM

I look forward to getting my steering wheel mounted when the next batch of kits is done!!
post #52 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 05:50 PM

When will the next batch be ready?
post #53 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 05:43 AM

Garage
*BUMP*!

I would be interested in this as well. The black and silver Elise wheel would look great with my current car I think, and still retain the airbag for increased safety.

post #54 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:51 AM

Very Interested in this conversion kit, Can you email me some more details [email protected] (2002 Lotus Esprit 25Th Annv.)
post #55 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:19 PM

Are the kits still available? Source for the wheel? Anyone want to sell their adaptor/wheel?

Thanks,
Bob
post #56 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Sorry everyone but I have been super busy and unable to work on making any kits for sometime. I have more kits in work now as well as the Evora kits. Pmail me if you want to preorder a Evora or Elise kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWeber View Post
Are the kits still available? Source for the wheel? Anyone want to sell their adaptor/wheel?

Thanks,
Bob

1999 Esprit V8 Twin Turbo (box stock except for 02 OZ 16 spoke nova wheels, Lotus Evora steering wheel, HKS blowoff valves and LED headlights)
post #57 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 11:56 AM

I'm down for a kit if I can pointed in the right direction for a wheel/airbag. Any suggestions?
post #58 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:26 PM

Garage
Elise steering wheels show up on eBay fairly regularly.

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue (sold)
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet (sold)

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
post #59 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 09:40 AM

Snagged a steering wheel on eBay. Source the air bag module through a Lotus dealer?
post #60 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:43 PM

you can count me in for an evora wheel conversion kit. don't think I am able to PM yet but can provide contact info on request

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in