Lotus Evora airbag steering wheel conversion kit for the Lotus Esprit (Now available) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Lotus Evora airbag steering wheel conversion kit for the Lotus Esprit (Now available)

Sorry everyone but it has been a long time that I originally posted the Evora airbag steering wheel conversion on Lotustalk. I have been super busy at work and home and I just didnít have time to work on this project or have any time to play with my Esprit. But time has become available. I have just completed a run of the preproduction units and I am now ready for production. If you are interested in one please pmail me. I also have the Elise kits in work as well if you are interested in that kit.
Attached Images

1999 Esprit V8 Twin Turbo (box stock except for 02 OZ 16 spoke nova wheels, Lotus Evora steering wheel, HKS blowoff valves and LED headlights)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 07:17 AM

That suits the car much better than an Elise wheel. Nice job!

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 07:25 AM

what will be cost ? Evora adapter.

Lotus S4 Turbo
Evora

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 08:01 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Nice!

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

The kit is $350. Evora steering wheel and airbag is not included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4Denver View Post
what will be cost ? Evora adapter.
MidLifeZ likes this.

1999 Esprit V8 Twin Turbo (box stock except for 02 OZ 16 spoke nova wheels, Lotus Evora steering wheel, HKS blowoff valves and LED headlights)
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneomatic View Post
The kit is $350. Evora steering wheel and airbag is not included.
I ordered and received Evora kit last week. Haven't had time to open/inspect much but suffice it to say it appears to be high quality and well thought out. Carefully packaged with an extremely detailed instruction guide that is filled with color photos for step by step instructions. Will report more back when I get some time to push this project forward.

Seller was responsive and extremely professional.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:38 PM

How different is this adapter from the Elise adapter. I already have an Elise wheel on the car and I'm wondering about a switch.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:32 AM

I assuming the hub is custom milled to the evora spec. Not sure how different the wiring is for the horn/bag. Sure there are plenty of people that would buy your Elise kit/wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryder 6 View Post
How different is this adapter from the Elise adapter. I already have an Elise wheel on the car and I'm wondering about a switch.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:33 AM

If I did not already have an Elise one I would jump on this. I have an itch to get one of the Evora steering wheels with cruise control buttons and make so it controls the cruise control on my Esprit!

Kenny; Dallas Tx
==============================
1995 Lexus SC300 - SOLD
1990 Nissan 300ZX - SOLD
1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo - SOLD
1996 Porsche 911 Cab - SOLD
1989 Porsche 928 S4 - SOLD
1994 Lotus Esprit S4
Test pipe, Ramspott & Brandt center exit exhaust, 2002 center exhaust valance, Alunox performance exhaust manifold, Spax coilovers with Eibach front springs, Elise steering wheel
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:04 AM

I received my kit last week, it was well packaged and very nicely machined. Bob(Duneomatic) was very responsive all along the way and highly recommend it thus far.

I am working to source the wheel but I haven't found a dealer or source that's very responsive or helpful, anyone have a good contact I can email the parts list to, get a quote and buy the steering wheel so I can get this on asap?
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:47 AM

Sourcing Lotus parts - even for "new" Lotus cars seem to take as much effort as sourcing ones for 15-40 year old cars.

Will let you know when i have them in my hands so can route people to an efficient source. Working with multiple parts depts currently but lets just say the the Lotus parts "guy" generally is buried deep in a parts department for a completely different brand and is unlikely to answer his phone or check email. Pelican parts it is not lol.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 01:58 PM

Duneomatic are you still there???

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneomatic View Post
Sorry everyone but it has been a long time that I originally posted the Evora airbag steering wheel conversion on Lotustalk. I have been super busy at work and home and I just didnít have time to work on this project or have any time to play with my Esprit. But time has become available. I have just completed a run of the preproduction units and I am now ready for production. If you are interested in one please pmail me. I also have the Elise kits in work as well if you are interested in that kit.
I would love to purchase one of these for my 2001 Esprit TT. I have no idea how to get in touch with Duneomatic.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Scott M

I simply PMd him. Still waiting on *one* Evora part. Grrr...

'03 Esprit (for sale)
'14 Evora S
'13 Subaru BRZ
'11 BMW X5M
'06 BMW Z4M
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 08:24 AM
Onlooker

Guys... Is it really 350 for a piece of aluminum or is it a full kit with useful bits. If its just billet throw your local machinist a freaking bone and save some cash for the actual wheel.

1990 SE.

Mod's: BPV capsule & throttle jack delete with all the vac lines shortened to the source and capped.
Kida special straight through muff.
Knn washable filter.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Scott M

^ The aluminum is probably the biggest part, but there are other seemingly critical pieces as well. The pages of instructions (looking pretty clear) are also required if I have a chance to do the install. He lists the required Lotus parts with #s which one needs to acquire separately. I'd say it's far more than $350 for a machined piece of metal.

'03 Esprit (for sale)
'14 Evora S
'13 Subaru BRZ
'11 BMW X5M
'06 BMW Z4M
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboto Esprit View Post
Guys... Is it really 350 for a piece of aluminum or is it a full kit with useful bits. If its just billet throw your local machinist a freaking bone and save some cash for the actual wheel.
The difficulty in machining the hub is that you need a custom broaching tool to create the tapered splines in the center to match the splines on the steering column. No machinist is going to hand tool the splines along with the other necessary machining of the hub for less than $350.

FYI, I paid $1200 for the custom broach itself over 10 years ago...
mieczkow likes this.

Jim
1995 S4s
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 12:41 AM
Onlooker

What is with this custom broaching shenanigans.... Especially when this can be done on any lathe or mill. moreover. CNC is the thing these days. I have not seen my column yet but I have my doubts on needing anything so special. Why: I have made at least 6 adapters at home without a mill for other cars. IF your a cheapskate like me theres aways option three. Cut out an existing wheel center make a jig and weld up an adapter plate.

Where are you at that it cost 1200 bucks for a broach job.

Pissing down your boots I am not. I just cant wrap my tiny brain around these prices. I could see paying it for a tranny adapter plate yeah the machining is simpler but the math isnt and the size of the billet is larger.

BTW the person who has the adapter please post up. Is it billet or cast or... Steel..

1990 SE.

Mod's: BPV capsule & throttle jack delete with all the vac lines shortened to the source and capped.
Kida special straight through muff.
Knn washable filter.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 09:36 AM

I think you've explained it to yourself here...most members are not interested in hack jobs to make things like this work, and would much rather support a forum member that is likely making little to nothing on these parts that will provide a superior installation. A properly installed Evora or Elise wheel with a nicely machined hub adapter will likely increase car value, or at least increase the saleability, whereas an adapter made from an old wheel with the center cut out and a mashed up adapter plate would likely decrease value and saleability in addition to causing a lot of people to just walk away.

FYI: The hub adapters are visible after installation (at least the Raid adapter is on mine).

Jeff
1990 Esprit SE
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboto Esprit View Post
What is with this custom broaching shenanigans.... Especially when this can be done on any lathe or mill. moreover. CNC is the thing these days. I have not seen my column yet but I have my doubts on needing anything so special. Why: I have made at least 6 adapters at home without a mill for other cars. IF your a cheapskate like me theres aways option three. Cut out an existing wheel center make a jig and weld up an adapter plate.

Where are you at that it cost 1200 bucks for a broach job.

Pissing down your boots I am not. I just cant wrap my tiny brain around these prices. I could see paying it for a tranny adapter plate yeah the machining is simpler but the math isnt and the size of the billet is larger.

BTW the person who has the adapter please post up. Is it billet or cast or... Steel..
😳

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 09:51 AM

this could get interesting... should I poke the bear?? I guess I could have taken an old T-shirt soaked it in oil, could have saved $ instead of my K&N

Lotus S4 Turbo
Evora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in