Lotus Evora airbag steering wheel conversion kit for the Lotus Esprit (Now available) - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 08:24 PM
Onlooker

Well. I did not know it was a forum member making this in his shop. Go fourth and machine to your hearts content. I was under the impression this was u know... Double mark up usual esprit nonsense. But anyone with a lathe or mill can do the spline cut. The same mentality I take here is the same I take on any forum. If a guy in his shop is cutting out a decent hub and of course your going to see it and wants to charge that price for a mark up. He aint turning into a millionaire and I imagine cutting a few out at a time theres set up time getting the tooling right ect. But... Where are the pictures??? Lets see the hub... Erm adapter.

^ It says I take it back. but wish to see photos.^

S4Denver... Nice... But you did poke the bear... Not so much the joke but the KNN. Thats a whole thread of guys losing their S###. You want to know what I think about KNN and why PM me. Every time I hear about their drop in filters I cringe.

1990 SE.

Mod's: BPV capsule & throttle jack delete with all the vac lines shortened to the source and capped.
Kida special straight through muff.
Knn washable filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 08:35 PM

Ahhhhhhh Mr. Roboto, you know so much to know so little...

Back in 2003 I procured engineering and arranged to have adapters fabricated for the Raid airbag wheels to fit our Esprits by one of the largest state of the art manufacturing facilities in the Southeast. Over the years we had several group buys and over 200 were sold. Although I wouldn't profess to be an expert, I do know a little bit about the subject.

In an effort to possibly enlighten your "tiny brain" as you say, here are pics of the required broach and the original prototype. The adapters for the Elise/Evora wheel are similar but different enough that my adapter won't work with them but the tapered splines are the same. As you can see, it's a high quality piece and I'm sure Duneomatic's Evora adapter is comparable.

Just to be clear, there are probably talented machinists out there who could cut the splines by hand, but it's not something you'd be able to "throw him a bone" and he could whip out in an hour. A one-off would be quite expensive.
Attached Images

Jim
1995 S4s

Last edited by lotus4s; 10-06-2017 at 08:44 PM.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 04:31 AM

Hey Jim,

Well said! 😉

Tom

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 05:52 AM
Onlooker

I did want to say it is a nice piece. Like I poked at in the last post the price is near the ballpark for a few spun off by a guy in his shed due to things like tooling and set up time ect ect. The returns arent massive. A big seller can afford to sell this stuff much cheaper even at the stunning quality you have here. Why? Because a new cnc can knock this out so fast without the need for making the tooling. By the way that tool you have pictured is sweet. I dont know much when it comes to machining but I know enough to agree after reading what ghalliger posted.

1990 SE.

Mod's: BPV capsule & throttle jack delete with all the vac lines shortened to the source and capped.
Kida special straight through muff.
Knn washable filter.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 06:52 AM

Well, let's say we spend $300,000 for a state of the art CNC machines capable of doing the entire machining protocol for the adapter. Not counting software costs, programming costs, billet costs, and actual production labor, how many of these adapters do I need to sell to "turn a profit"? More than I could ever possibly sell to Lotus owners.....

My point is that there have been a number of owner-initiated tool projects, some very sophisticated like Jim's and some very simple like my water pump seal tool. NONE of these are based on the idea of profit. The blood, sweat, and tears are dedicated to preserving the Esprit. Check out the extraordinary stuff Mr. Dangerus has done, including transmission fabrication. Astounding amount of work.

Nobody is in this for the money. Owning a Lotus is from an economic point of view totally irrational.
Gallagher likes this.

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieczkow View Post
Owning a Lotus is from an economic point of view is totally irrational.
A truer statement has never been written Constructive criticism helps us all, criticism for the sake of of it helps no one. Roboto does though admit to having a small brain and being a cheapskate so if nothing else he does self deprecate and that is a good thing
mieczkow and Gallagher like this.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboto Esprit View Post
Why? Because a new cnc can knock this out so fast without the need for making the tooling. By the way that tool you have pictured is sweet.
Wrong again, my adapters were made on a cnc machine and still required the broach to make the splines. That's how splines are made on a cnc machine, with a cutter called a broach...

You can buy a broach for a few hundred bucks in a standard spline configuration but if you need a custom one made for non-standard application as in the Esprit steering column, you have to pay several times more to have the tool made.
mieczkow and Gallagher like this.

Jim
1995 S4s
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

I donít make the adaptor kits to make money. I do it to support the great members on this forum. If I never made another one I would be happy, but people keep asking me to make them. My time is very valuable to me and I have better things to do then make adaptor kits for people that think it is just a piece of aluminum. I will continue to support this community as long as it is appreciated and based on the feedback I get it is. Thank you all for the positive support this community has given me over the years.
carbuff, Vulcan Grey, KLR and 6 others like this.

1999 Esprit V8 Twin Turbo (box stock except for 02 OZ 16 spoke nova wheels, Lotus Evora steering wheel, HKS blowoff valves and LED headlights)
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:56 PM

Conversion kit for Evora Wheel

Hi Robert,

I'm looking to buy one of your Esprit adaptor hubs in Las Vegas- let me know how I can purchase that from you, or where I can pick it up, will be in san Diego on nov 18th 2018 - Thanks a lot.

Alec
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:11 PM

Conversion kit for Evora Wheel

Hi Robert,

I'm looking to buy one of your Esprit adaptor hubs in Las Vegas- let me know how I can purchase that from you, or where I can pick it up, will be in san Diego on nov 18th 2018 - Thanks a lot.

Alec
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:27 PM

Hi Robert,

I'm looking to buy one of your Esprit adaptor hubs here in las vegas- sent you a friends request
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 02:26 PM

This looks awesome! Where did you source the wheel with the blanks and what was the cost?
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartanian View Post
Hi Robert,

Alec
Alex/Rob,

I'm looking for one too. Could you let me know if you find that it's still an active option?

Thanks

Richard
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:51 PM

Hi I’m new to the forum , and I was looking at doing a swap of my stock 94 S4 steering wheel for the new Evora one, are you still producing these would love to get one, also is it relatively easy to do the swap? Thanks
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 05:15 PM

Just purchased my first Lotus, a 1997 Esprit V8, and replacing the steering wheel I saw one of the first things I want to do. Iíll search the forum for instructions oh how to do the replacement. Do you have any more of these Evora hubs? Please let me know! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in