Lotus Mechanic in Rhode Island - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Lotus Mechanic in Rhode Island

I just inherited a 1986 Esprit Turbo and need some work on reinstalling the turbo. My local mechanic charges for $90/hour. Is this the going rate for qualified mechanics? Any in the RI area? Thanks

Last edited by dnschwartz; 03-26-2010 at 03:09 AM. Reason: personal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnschwartz View Post
I just inherited a 1986 Esprit Turbo and need some work on reinstalling the turbo. My local mechanic is aksing for $90/hour and I really don't feel like paying that much for him to scratch his head and eat up my dollars. I am wondering if there are any skilled Lotus mechanics in the area who can assist me? Thanks
I would suggest that $90 in not out of line for a quality mechanic. Our local Mercedes Benz dealership charges $105 and the independent MB shops charges $85 per hour.

Also, the Lotus dealer in Boston charges around $125/hour.

Cheers,
Alan
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 06:06 PM

It's one thing to pay $90/hr to work on your car and it's another to pay $90/hr for the mechanic to learn how to work on your car.

You might try Michael's Motorsports, I don't think he's too far from you depending on where you are in RI. I believe he's in Lexington, MA. 508 651-7867
Long time Lotus mechanic.

Jim
1995 S4s

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:28 AM

If you are handy and have some tools it shouldn't be *that* difficult to install the turbo. The hard part is getting it out! Maybe some local owners can even help. As for "learning", it shouldn't take the mechanic too long to do. The hardest part will be if any fasteners or parts are missing. The manual will also be of great help. If the turbo was pulled chances are there could be other problems but you won't know until you put it back together and try driving the car. Not only will you have to pay the labor, the mechanic isn't going to make house calls. You will have to have it transported to the shop. You don't have much to lose by at least trying to do this yourself. Maybe the local club can make it a "club event"? You would have to feed everyone but that can't cost *too* much!
David Teitelbaum
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
If you are handy and have some tools it shouldn't be *that* difficult to install the turbo. The hard part is getting it out! Maybe some local owners can even help. As for "learning", it shouldn't take the mechanic too long to do. The hardest part will be if any fasteners or parts are missing. The manual will also be of great help. If the turbo was pulled chances are there could be other problems but you won't know until you put it back together and try driving the car. Not only will you have to pay the labor, the mechanic isn't going to make house calls. You will have to have it transported to the shop. You don't have much to lose by at least trying to do this yourself. Maybe the local club can make it a "club event"? You would have to feed everyone but that can't cost *too* much!
David Teitelbaum
Ive had my ExigeS for a bit over a year. After some searching/ screening for a mechanic, I discovered Michael Fridmann in Millis, MA. Michaels Motrosports, tel 508-376-9500. I would estimate he's about 30 or so minutes form Providence (I drive approx that route often). He's helped me a lot, very knowledgeable, reasonable. I know 2 other Exige owners who also rely on Michael, and there are others. Why I mention him... he owns at least one Esprit and there are always several in his lot/ garage. He definately knows the model.... raced Esprits for years, etc. However you turn, good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in