LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 06:00 PM

Wohlmeyer, how much where those?

JG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 10:17 AM
1995 Esprit S4S

110 Brit Pounds Each then like 70 us dollars to ship to the states.
post #63 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 10:19 AM
1995 Esprit S4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by myespritgt View Post
I have not heard good reviews on those... :/

I'm gonna need something that can handle 400lbs springs in all 4 corners. Can they?

JG
I have no idea. But if you contact them directly they can answer that.

post #64 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 05:18 AM

Okay, thanks for the info!

JG
post #65 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Integrator

Garage
post #66 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:44 AM

MRDANGERUS for what I understand Lantana Sold the car... But if it makes you feel better I'm pursuing this for my personal GT1 replica. I've done some research of my own, but using Konis instead. I bought the rear ones in yellow konis and they are a perfect match!

As far as the front ones... I can tell you that they are only available in the "red" Konis, and I'm only been able to locate these in the Uk or Australia. Because they are sold for the Nissan "Navara" which is the Euro Nissan Frontier. The red konis are said to be of softer settings than the yellow ones. But if you bare in mind that these are made for a "truck" then chances are they are more than likely to just be as hard as the Corvette Koni yellow rear ones.

Also I was looking at a picture that I found in Google and because of their design they can easily be made even shorter to make them an even better fit for the Esprit.

JG

Last edited by myespritgt; 01-16-2014 at 04:53 AM.
post #67 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 06:52 AM
Integrator

Garage
post #68 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 08:07 AM

Lightbulb

Hey no problem I like taking challenges like this one. Where there is: design, research and fabrication involved.

BINGO, BINGO, BINGO!!!!!

*****By the way I might just have found the actual solution!!!!!!!*****

Apparently Lotus as a pioneer of the "best handling", researcher and mighty inventor/developer of it. Has served many other car companies along its history. Who can blame them for it?? Lotus really has it when it comes to handling!

So, as expected, my little research has taken me into much reading lately and I have found out that: in 1988 Pontiac tired of borrowing, "the wrong suspension parts", from other GM cars of the era in order to save money in building their Fiero. Hired the mighty Lotus firm to develope and design a true worthy suspension to properly handle their mid-engine car.

Thus, therefore the '88 Fiero had the best handling suspension. So it was only logical to think that due to their similar characteristics, (mid engine, 2800# weight and 2 seater) between both the Fiero and the Esprit the spring rates and Shoxs had to be very similar... Oh well this is one of those moments where you ask yourself: what do I know? Right???

So I've got me a set of front 1988 Fiero Koni Shoxs, and guess what? They are "identical" in size and all to the Lotus Esprit ones!

I was just very lucky and as I understand these are not longer in production

So if you can get your hands in a pair of these... Do it!!!

JG

Last edited by myespritgt; 01-19-2014 at 10:42 AM.
post #69 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 10:50 AM

I am quite curious to see where this goes for sure...
post #70 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 07:55 AM
Integrator

Garage
Do you have Koni numbers?
Are they adjustable?
Since we are chasing a combination of sprung mass (known), spring rate (known) and dumping rates (unknown), shocks must be adjustable.
The best solution would be to reverse engineer one of the original Lotus kits.
post #71 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 05:58 PM

Yes I have the part's number for both front and back. But not with me right at this moment. I will post them later.

Yes they are both fully adjustable. The front ones also have rebound adjustment and apparently Koni will have them available around May or April this year.

JG
post #72 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 10:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by myespritgt View Post
[sni]
So I've got me a set of front 1988 Fiero Koni Shoxs, and guess what? They are "identical" in size and all to the Lotus Esprit ones!

I was just very lucky and as I understand these are not longer in production

So if you can get your hands in a pair of these... Do it!!!

JG
These appear to be readily available Konis - are they NOT the ones you mention?:

Koni Special D 'Red' Shocks PONTIAC FIERO

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #73 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 09:41 AM

I may be hallucinating or reading wrong, but the link's seller advertises the price is "per shock" at US $238.00 each. Hmmmm...perhaps a typo?

Also, most advertised shock absorbers for the Fieros seem to have a metal T-bar (as the Fiero owners on the Pontiac Forums list) protruding from their mounting points, or added metal bracing attached. Are these easily removable, I wonder?

--Scott

Last edited by greentengu; 02-13-2014 at 09:47 AM.
post #74 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Cal H

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentengu View Post
I may be hallucinating or reading wrong, but the link's seller advertises the price is "per shock" at US $238.00 each. Hmmmm...perhaps a typo?

Also, most advertised shock absorbers for the Fieros seem to have a metal T-bar (as the Fiero owners on the Pontiac Forums list) protruding from their mounting points, or added metal bracing attached. Are these easily removable, I wonder?

--Scott
At the bottom of the page it states:
"All Koni Shocks are sold ‘per shock’ a complete set requires four shocks"
Whats the price from JAE for a set of Spax?
post #75 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 AM

Ouch for the first and, here's a copy of the email I received from Jay on Nov. 12th 2013:

"Shock absorbers (stock or aftermarket) Front x2 / Rear x2 front shock $265.00ea and same for the rear and they are SPAX shock fully adjustable"

R.D. Enterprises sells similar fully adjustable SPAX for $420/pair based on Ray's quote.

**That's for my 1986 HC, however.

--Scott
post #76 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 10:49 AM

It's all preference of personal taste. I've personally hear nothing but the bad and the worst things about most "Esprit" aftermarket adjustable Shox brands. So why not try the best brand out there? koni! Sure they really don't make a particular model for our Esprits. But it doesn't mean we can work with what they already have?

JG

Last edited by myespritgt; 02-13-2014 at 11:40 AM.
post #77 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Integrator

Garage
Comparing KONI Special vs. KONI Sport

Comparing KONI Special vs. KONI Sport.

The characteristics of shock absorbers hardly ever get the attention they deserve, despite the damper being responsible for comfort, roadholding, stability and safety.

Below is a force velocity graph of a KONI Special and a KONI Sport shock, both designed for the same vehicle. The graph displays the adjustment ranges for both shocks. The pink area shows the adjustment range where both shocks are equal in value. The red area indicates that portion unique to the KONI Special, while the yellow area is specific to the Sport shock only. When a car accelerates, brakes or rolls, typical damper speeds are in the (A) area. Damper speeds caused by road surface irregularities (bumps, railroad tracks, etc.) are in the (B) area.

KONI Special (red or black). The KONI Special dampers are designed to offer the best compromise between road handling and comfort. If only a Special damper is listed, its adjustment forces are designed for all driving requirements.

KONI Sport (yellow). The KONI Sport dampers are designed for aggressive driving or cars with suspension upgrades while continuing to offer comfort. If a KONI Sport is listed as an alternative to the KONI Special, choose Sport for aggressive handling characteristics.

KONI Sport (yellow) shocks are identified by the Sport suffix (example, 8040-1026 Sport). KONI Special (red or black) shocks are listed without the Sport suffix (example, 8040-1026).

1988 Pontiac Fiero shocks could be purchased directly from the KONI website:
http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cf...Fe831LRZ8bS9Wp

Front
PN# 8040 1092
Retail Price: $320.00
KONI online Price: $240.00 per pair

Rear
PN# 8741 1063
Retail Price: $680.00
KONI online Price: $510.00 per pair
Attached Images

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 02-15-2014 at 05:56 PM.
post #78 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 06:49 PM

You are correct MRDANGERUS. That's the given difference between the "Red" & "Yellow" Konis or Special vs Sport.

After all they both: the reds and the yellow konis are fully adjustable with both the red and yellow having 3 different settings: soft, medium and hard. Of course bare in mind that the 3 settings always will be harder on the yellows and or softer on the reds. Therefore one as the owner and user can select the harder setting on the front (red) and perhaps just the middle or even softer setting on the yellow (corvette back) ones.

The reason to use the Fiero fronts is simply because they have rebound adjustment. It's already built within the 3 diff settings, but it never the less it's there! Rebound it's much more important if the car it's rear or mid engine (lighter front bias). To avoid the inevitable bouncing of its lighter front weight bias.

I also want to make something clear to everyone who is following this thread. To avoid any misunderstanding. While the Red Konis are "softer" in comparison to the Yellow Konis. It's important to mention that the Red konis (Fiero front) in their Hardest setting, are extremely Hard! I couldn't believe how hard they were!!! For instance, while on the softest setting I was able to squeeze and retrieve the Shox Rod (in & out) by hand with moderate force, but it was almost nearly impossible to do the same while they were on the hardest setting and can say with confidence that I'm a somewhat strong man.

So please, understand that the red (Fiero fronts), are not weaker than the yellow (Corvette rear). If they are properly setup with the fronts always in a "harder" setting than the rears you'll be ok!

JG
post #79 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 AM

Hello,

so if i understand it right with my limited English, we need 2 Fiero front Konis Red/Special and 2 Corvette C4 rear Konis Red/ Special or Yellow/Sport.
I'am able to buy C4 rear Koni Shocks Special or Sport.
What is the better choice?
Which spring rate front/rear is preferred?

Cheers Harald.
post #80 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Integrator

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in