Lower cost Bilstein option! - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 04:58 PM

Posting this To The Top as I'm not sure everyone has seen your latest pic of the GAZ installed--beautiful!

Furthermore for those who want to know:
  • The shocks come with a full dyno plot (for both the front and rear shocks).
  • The spring perches for the rears have a 3" spring perch; 2.5" for the fronts.
  • GAZ answers most inquiries very quickly, alternating between two customer service representatives who tend to answer questions thoroughly
  • Cost, as MrDangerus notes, is reasonable, since the exchange rate is now incredibly low vs. last year. Last year: $1.70 per GBP; this year: $1.49 per GBP.
  • Manufacture takes some time, but you might regard that as a positive, as you get the impression they don't just yank an old pair off the shelf, slap some stickers on them, and call it a day. It takes a few weeks to get them.
If you are thinking about ordering the rears, please be aware that GAZ actually makes the units per order and doesn't apparently just yank them off some dusty shelf somewhere. That is, these shocks for the Citroen transmission cars, if you order direct from GAZ, are not "off the shelf" units. More like "off the assembly line".

Give thanks to Mr. Dangerus for his tireless efforts to promote and work with GAZ to make sure the springs are a direct fit for our cars, and not one you have to cut, grind, chop, or otherwise hack away at your car to get to adjust (far as I know!).

Cheers,

Scott

1986 Turbo Esprit HCi

Last edited by greentengu; 04-29-2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Changed to reflect GAZ 2015 PN's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 08:18 AM
Integrator

Garage
Scott,
I'm glad I could help!

GAZ PN# for the Lotus front is GP8-2144
Lotus rear is GP8-2145

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 04-26-2015 at 08:38 AM.
post #103 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 05:47 PM

Indeed! And thank you for posting the part numbers, which I forgot to post--an unfortunate oversight on my part !

Cheers,

Scott

1986 Turbo Esprit HCi

post #104 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 07:21 PM

Non Sport 350 V8 Esprits up to 02-04 spring rates are as follows:
250 Front/275 Rear
Sport 350:
350 Front/330 Rear
X180R:
363F/337R

It appears that all of the Sport Versions,except the S300, The X180R and Sport 350 model spring rates were reversed to standard road going versions. Stiffer springs in front and softer rear.......

2006 Onyx Black Aston Martin Vantage
1999 Azure Blue Lotus Esprit V8TT
post #105 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 07:51 PM

Stiffer front rates will favor oversteer.
Midengine cars (because of their weight distribution), will have a higher threshold when turning. Before they give up and spin. But such a treshold can be easily explored almost instantly, for example by taking the foot off the gas pedal while turning or step on the brakes at a high speed corner and the rear will come around faster than you can say "holy sh!t". Thus, mid engine cars with oversteer settings should be for those who can handle it. I personally prefer a stiffer front

The only way to catch the car when it breaks loose in a turn its to quickly steer the car in the direction the car is breaking loose, then the car will re-gain grip and now it can be steer back again into the direction of the corner. Of course this has to be done in a fraction of a second before you're out of room to make it happen, but that's why its so exciting!

Last edited by myespritgt; 04-26-2015 at 07:54 PM.
post #106 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 08:39 PM
Integrator

Garage
You can compare Wheel Rates (only), if you know the spring rates and the suspension geo (all dimensions).

Esprit front suspension motion ratio (simplified formula, called otherwise a "ball joint" ratio), =0.73 and rear =1.

Wheel Rate = [ ( MotionRatio^2) * SpringRate ] * sin(Spring Angle)

So, if you run 350 ftr/330 rr springs,

that gives you wheel ratios of 178 fr/ 318 rr and Wheel Load Rates 102 fr/166 rr (Measured at CL of tire, dependent on tire width, offset and spacer used for the specific car).
As you can see, the Esprit front geometry reduces the front suspension stiffness 27% more than the rear.

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 04-27-2015 at 06:46 AM.
post #107 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 06:34 AM
Integrator

Garage
post #108 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Integrator

Garage
post #109 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 03:03 PM

Of course you can compare them. You even answered your own "debate". It's all in the "variables". We all know the front and back suspension "Geometries" are all the same in all Esprits (that pertain to this conversation).

This means (for the sake of this convo), that the "only Variable" it's the "harder" spring ratio to the front vs the rear; of the more "track" cars to add "more over-steering" capabilities.

The "only" way your argument would hold is if the geometries would change from "track to street" versions-models which we all know is not the case.

But I have to say it. I'm going to look into the formula. Very interesting indeed!

JG
post #110 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 08:55 AM

Mr. D,

where is the best place to order these shocks? Direct from Gaz? Who is the person to speak with?

I currently have the Protechs from SJ Sportcars and I have never been able to get them dialed in. they are either too soft on compression but with decent rebound control... or too stiff on compression but bouncy on the rebound side. really frustrating.

thanks,

Andrew
post #111 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 02:13 PM

Hi Andrew:

The best place (in fact, the only place to order them) is direct from GAZ itself.

I also have a full set of the GAZ with the part numbers:

GP8-2144 -- 2.5" spring perch adjustable, with spherical bearings, front.
GP8-2145 -- 3" spring perch, adjustable, with spherical bearings, rear.

I sent my inquiry to the general website's "Contact" email address, but the reply came from:

[email protected]

The first person who replied was Mark, but then another extremely patient and understanding representative named Amanda took over the Gmail conversation (I say extremely patient because both my Credit Union Visa and my Commercial Bank Visa were initially declined due to anti-fraud measures taken by Visa. I had to call Visa to clear the overseas purchase.)

They quoted me 3/4 weeks for delivery, and that time was accurate. One set came wrapped in bubble wrap, while the other's parts were loose in box, but wholly undamaged. The shocks come with dyno plots.

Cost: 85 GBP fronts / 95 GBP rears / Carriage 45 GBP

Also note that Mr. D. has, I believe, now added a different spherical bearing to the front units.

I also stand corrected: the GAZ 2015 catalog reflects the above part numbers with adjustable spring seats.

Cheers,

Scott
mieczkow likes this.

1986 Turbo Esprit HCi

Last edited by greentengu; 04-29-2015 at 02:18 PM.
post #112 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 06:15 PM
Integrator

Garage
I found a neat 1" OD/1/2"ID bearings with 0.225' trunnions made by QA-1, which may be fit into the "eyelets" on frt shocks. I will press them in tomorrow and let you know how do they fit.
eBay item number:

Some additional spacers/sleeves will be necessary to center the bearing inside of the lower control arm.
Attached Images

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 05-04-2015 at 08:52 PM.
post #113 of 181 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Integrator

Garage
post #114 of 181 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 09:31 PM

'02 shocks

ksgrimser:

I am in need of shocks for my 2002 esprit, what are the part numbers for your set up?
post #115 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 05:29 AM
Integrator

Garage
Adapters for QA-1 bushings have to be made (chrome-molly steel).
Dimension B has to be calculated after you measure the distance between walls of the lower control arm opening,(A).
Attached Images

post #116 of 181 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt View Post
ksgrimser:

I am in need of shocks for my 2002 esprit, what are the part numbers for your set up?
Sorry I missed this question directed to me. I was not following this thread much and I stumbled across this stale request to me.

I'm using the adjustable setup from SJS. The ones they show on their web site have a single adjustment that adjusts both the bump and rebound. Although not shown on the web site you can ask for the version with separate bump and rebound adjustment if you are so inclined (that's what I happen to be using). I think I have an old thread somewhere mentioning the installation of this which is pretty straightforward. You have to go with springs in addition to the shocks, though (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

let me know if you need any more info (or pictures or whatever).

Knut
post #117 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Integrator

Garage
post #119 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:59 AM
Integrator

Garage
Replacing rear springs.

Esprit rear springs require substantial pre-load (4"), thus energy stored in the spring is high (~800 lbs). Pretty dangerous task.
SAFETY should be a "job one" whilst handling compressed springs. Appropriate equipment should be used.
Sturdy spring compressor is a MUST!
I have learned it a hard way. One of the "el cheapo" screw type compressors snapped off unexpectedly.

Since then, I had a very good experience with "Goplus® MacPherson Interchangable Fork Strut Coil Spring Compressor Extractor Tool Set" bought on Amazon for $ 86.99.
Very sturdy, well made and easy to operate if used with electric or air ratchet driver.
Attached Images

post #120 of 181 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 06:40 PM
You can't make this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDANGERUS View Post
Replacing rear springs.

Esprit rear springs require substantial pre-load (4"), thus energy stored in the spring is high (~800 lbs). Pretty dangerous task.
SAFETY should be a "job one" whilst handling compressed springs. Appropriate equipment should be used.
Sturdy spring compressor is a MUST!
I have learned it a hard way. One of the "el cheapo" screw type compressors snapped off unexpectedly.

Since then, I had a very good experience with "Goplus® MacPherson Interchangable Fork Strut Coil Spring Compressor Extractor Tool Set" bought on Amazon for $ 86.99.
Very sturdy, well made and easy to operate if used with electric or air ratchet driver.
I have good mechanical jaw type spring compressor to squash springs down safely,, Hate the thing and using it, but it is safer then that bolt method by far. My winter project is new shocks all round and I need some help on what is the best for my 1983 Turbo Esprit. I have Good Year front tires and rears are P600 Pirellis all brand new. So your thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in