Megasquirt Tuners Unite! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ragingfool35
  • 1 Post By ragingfool35

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Ben Holloway

Megasquirt Tuners Unite!

I know there are several folks out there in the forum who are running Megasquirt EFI on their Esprits. I'm one of them, having purchased my car already mostly sorted out with an upgraded turbo, charge cooler, and MS3 EFI installed. As I have been learning about how to tune the EFI, I have found that it is hard to find any Esprit specific info out there in the normal Megasquirt forums or technical articles on the web. Therefore, I would like to see how many folks on the LotusTalk forum are running this ECU on their cars and hopefully start some tuning discussion as I try to dial in some of the problem areas on my car.

A couple of the things I'm interested in from a tuning perspective...

What target AFR's are you guys running? My AFR table seems too rich to me and I think I'm just wasting gas. I'd be interested in peeking at a couple of tables if you wouldn't mind posting.

My car doesn't have an IAC valve (the PO said he never could get it to work right) and I have an issue with the car running rough and the first 10-20 seconds after startup. After that, it runs great. I have tried changing ASE level and taper, but it hasn't corrected the issue. Any ideas?

Ben Holloway
Roswell, GA

1986 Turbo Esprit
-Turbonetics Turbo
-Intercooler
-Megasquirt Injection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 05:53 PM
Dreaded Prior Owner

Well, this is my effort-

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164...squirt-339834/

And here's my SWAG AFR target chart. It's probably not making my cat converter happy with the departures from stoich, but it's working so far with an old WB O2 controller. All my tuning has been on the road or in the datalogs due to distances to dyno's, so take numbers with a grain of salt. YMMV

The GM 4 wire IAC has worked OK for me, although like so much with TunerStudio there's more than enough parameters to get totally lost. Best results if the throttle(s) are cracked enough with the idle screw to get a low idle, and let the IAC work from there on up.

I've beat myself up over cold starts, most recently chased the MS3 PNP Pro on my Subaru for months only to find that the cam sensor was iffy/temperature sensitive and as I was chasing mixture, it was just giving synch loss misfires while waiting to warm up. V. frustrating. The O2 controller can't really come on line w/ a signal soon enough to show you rich/lean right at initial startup, so you're kinda on your own old-school as to what sounds overly rich or lean.
Attached Images

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
Chargecooled w/Megasquirt EFI
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 03:55 AM
You can't make this up

I get the game

Vannna

I will take doe 3500 box 14.0 for $100

I know nothing about the pretty chart except doors red are bad juju

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Ben Holloway

Thanks for the reply snowrx! I have read your posts on your Megasquirt project over the past couple years. Very cool! I particularly like your cam sensor setup. Mine uses an old distributor with a pointer wheel inside and a sensor on the outside. It works pretty well, but is really hard to get to.

As I suspected, my AFR table is super rich compared to yours. The PO was very concerned about not hurting anything, so he set everything up pretty rich. I don't want to risk things going to lean and causing damage, but I also want to get some better fuel economy at cruising speeds.

Here is my table as it is now...
Attached Images

Ben Holloway
Roswell, GA

1986 Turbo Esprit
-Turbonetics Turbo
-Intercooler
-Megasquirt Injection
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:45 PM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

I have a Megasquirt ecu laying around that i tuned a car with and then never used. If anyone is interested i coukd get the model #

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | Monolites/R888R | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | shiftR111/LETSLA/SSC Cables | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:00 AM
Dreaded Prior Owner

-Thread bump-

tardis2112, Did you ever post up your rough start problem details on the Megasquirt forums? There are some knowledgeable moderators that can help quite a bit once they take a look at your tune and datalogs. Without the IAC, I would hope you have the Idle RPM Timing Correction enabled. Even with a simple table, it made a big difference for me to help with cold idle hunting and the resulting MAP/RPM/AFR swings.

If you're running a wideband O2 controller (I hope so!), you might power it up a minute or so before you crank so the controller can get through it's heating cycle and any output delays and can then give you AFR info on your logs ASAP. Unfortunately on cold starts there tends to be a lot of enrichments at play, which can lead to rich misfire, which the sensor reads as lean due to the extra oxygen, which can get confusing.

There are some great EFI tutorials on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyWhittle_HowEFIworks

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:33 AM
Integrator

Garage
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:21 PM

my crank sensor
the bracket just bolts to the existing studs
i have all drawings if needed
Attached Images

Erik L likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:25 PM

I have recently been searching for at proper location for the trigger wheel as well, and like this setup.
Just started the dismantling of the engine for a rebuild and is addidng MS2 with EDIS ignition and Jenvey throttle bodies.

How is the trigger wheel attached to the pulley and did you make the trigger wheel yourself?

My reason adding the MS is for better start, driveability and mixture controle under boost. And not to forget better controle of ignition timing.
Having a 1982 TE, running OK, but never succeeded solving the lean condition under boost about 3500 -4000 rpm.

Lars
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:58 PM

Lars
are you asking me?
yes I drew the trigger wheel and the boss and had them made at a local fabricator. the boss is welded to the pulley then turned on a lathe to provide a proper mounting surface for the wheel. It was tricky leaving enough weld in place. I made the boss dia +.005 dia of the trigger wheel and heated the trigger wheel to 600F. I used thin temporary spacers to get the sprocket square and spaced where i wanted it.
later I drew this which might be similarly priced to turn out of billet.

I have to warn you that start is going to suffer. Start is probably the most difficult to setup.
driveability will likely remain the same. are you converting to EFI?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf crank pulley 2.PDF (91.9 KB, 8 views)
Erik L likes this.

Last edited by ragingfool35; 08-12-2019 at 04:29 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:28 PM

here is the boss and trigger wheel if you want to weld onto the OEM pulley. I have the DXF to give to laser cutter but won't let me attach that file type
Attached Images
File Type: pdf trigger wheel crank.PDF (28.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf trigger wheel crank boss.PDF (30.6 KB, 6 views)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:50 PM
Dreaded Prior Owner

On mine I just machined a step on the back of the pulley, left an OD that matched my home-made wheel's ID, then epoxied the wheel in place with a small pin to keep the wheel in the proper orientation.
Attached Images

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in