Mid engine fans - what do you think of the new mid engine vette? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:43 PM

Focus ST vs. Esprit. ??? A lot depends on the driver now doesn't it ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
...maybe in a few decades once you're balding, picked up 50+ lbs, taken up wearing hawaiian shirts everywhere, and have started making waitresses uncomfortable with your conduct?
Highly unlikely, on all counts. I just love the way the C6 looks, such beautiful curves. I'd buy a '67 for looks, you know, but those cars drive terrible, made before the word 'ergonomics' was in full swing in the car business.

2006 Exige
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:00 PM

I prefer the corvette as a FR layout. I’m not particularly a vette fan but I like that it’s a different style to most other sports cars out. As a mid engine car it’ll have to compete with everything else out there like NSX, Evora, R8 etc.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:44 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldman View Post
I prefer the corvette as a FR layout. Iím not particularly a vette fan but I like that itís a different style to most other sports cars out. As a mid engine car itíll have to compete with everything else out there like NSX, Evora, R8 etc.
Neither the NSX or Evora sell well here in America. With respect to sales I think it's a safe bet the C8 will take that cake. I wouldn't be surprised if it outperforms them as well, as it's always been a performance bargain. The R8 is in another price leauge, at least with the entry and mid-level C8 builds. I think even the priciest C8 will be less than the priciest R8. I just built an R8 online and it was $220K+. Again, we'll have to see, and we have a month and 13 days before the C8 will be revealed. Until then it's just a guessing game.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:10 AM
Elise Guru

You guys make some good points. Looking at it from a product planning/bean counter perspective, the fact that the corvette has performance enthusiasts and real drivers as well as balding golfers, and carshow folks with folding chairs in the demographic means it is hitting across alot of markets!

Steelypip makes some great points about the ergonomics. Look at the Frunk in a Cayman/Boxter, it is huge. The Elise does not have one. Clearly if Chevy can get Porsche useability, that would be awesome. If GM doesn't screw it up, perhaps there will be some real goodness in the C8.

As far as the big V8 in front and attendant issues, that is a good point. The big V8 is part of the Corvette's character. Width and weight of the Torque tube etc does make for a wide car. However, one advantage of the LT1 is that it is relatively light and short at 465lbs and 25.3" tall. Compare that to the 4.4L BMW V8 that weights 503lbs and is 29.6" tall.
Varun916 likes this.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:13 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Highly unlikely, on all counts. I just love the way the C6 looks, such beautiful curves. I'd buy a '67 for looks, you know, but those cars drive terrible, made before the word 'ergonomics' was in full swing in the car business.
VE, Here is an article that has my wife's exact car in it. I think it is the best looking example of the C6 they ever made. https://jalopnik.com/the-c6-chevrole...y-p-1795382863

BTW, once you've tried those carbon brakes on the track, you won't go back, they are amazing....
Varun916 likes this.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzust View Post
However, one advantage of the LT1 is that it is relatively light and short at 465lbs and 25.3" tall. Compare that to the 4.4L BMW V8 that weights 503lbs and is 29.6" tall.
Yes, for a V8 that's very light indeed. My sort-of complaint with a V8 isn't so much that it's heavy, but that it's a concentrated mass with a relatively high CG (two banks of cylinders above the crank). It's the most compact way to package eight cylinders, but that's about all it is. As Honda, Porsche, and others remind us daily, there are multiple ways to make 500+ HP, and you don't need eight normally aspirated cylinders to do it.

So what do you get if you go to a blown four or six instead of an NA V8? Well, you don't save much weight over an LT1, but you do get to shift the engine's mass around to more favorable points in the chassis. The turbo (if you're using turbos) doesn't have to sit on top of the engine. Neither do intercoolers, radiators, BOVs, etc. It makes packaging a lot easier if the lump itself is smaller and a lower proportion of total powerplant mass.

That said, I think the NA V8 is going to be around a while longer because it might just be the cheapest and simplest way to make 500+ HP, and price point is a big part of the 'vette's appeal.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzust View Post
VE, Here is an article that has my wife's exact car in it. I think it is the best looking example of the C6 they ever made. https://jalopnik.com/the-c6-chevrole...y-p-1795382863

BTW, once you've tried those carbon brakes on the track, you won't go back, they are amazing....
Yeah, fantastic looking car. I'm big on elegance, and I think the C6 is just very elegant.
Attached Images

2006 Exige
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
Dunno, comparing performance of a corvette with machines that cost multiples of its price seems silly
I'd argue to you that kind of "punching up" has become a large part of the Corvette ethos. It is by no means a cheap car, but one that is attainable to the average working man, and delivers levels of performance that rival much more expensive competitors.

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in