My rear end needs something ! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

My rear end needs something !

Whoa big fella I'm not that way! But I do have an 89 Esprit that needs some type of trim piece to cover the exhaust. Does anyone have an idea for me. From the back of the car you can see the exhaust hanging underneith the car with no type of skirt to cover it.

I was going to fabricate something using the same metal mesh that is used on the front end of the car with a frame.

Anyone with an Idea? From all the pictures I've seen and parts sites I've visited this year didn't have one. The car is so smooth looking but yet this nasty exhaust and pipes are exposed.
\Thanks Ran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 PM

I have a boot size 11 or 45 if you speak metric...topically applied to backside as needed
...and can reboot if you need more than one application.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:27 PM
FIL

That's what she said!!!!!

05' Elise - REV400, PPE Header, Quaife LSD, Ohlins, BOE Silent Touch, LETSLA, ACT HDSS, Fidanza flywheel, BOE CAB Intake, BOE Catch Can, V2 Fuel Tank, V2 Steering Arms, BWR sway bar, ForcedFed CF splitter, Manly's engine mounts, All Mesh Grilles, Volk CE28 wheels

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ran1x View Post
I have an 89 Esprit that needs some type of trim piece to cover the exhaust. Does anyone have an idea for me. From the back of the car you can see the exhaust hanging underneith the car with no type of skirt to cover it.
Polish the exhaust!

Our 88's OE exhaust is Stainless Steel (Not sure about the 89, which is different). It shines up really nice...NOT Nasty.

You could put a screen in, or just paint the exhaust black if you prefer. But IMO screens add aero drag. (Probably doesn't matter at street-legal speeds, but hey!)

The screen idea has plenty of options. Several types of screens (GutterGuard) are available at home stores such as Home Depot or Lowes, also from McMaster-Carr. Plastic, aluminum, whatever look you feel is the greatest. Fasten it with glue, fold the edges for reinforcement.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:46 AM

i suggest 316L welded mesh.
Heavy gauges are stiff enough to form.
Looks good as it comes too.

"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, while watching a huge tree rearranged in the bonfire by car bumper and cable

Stop that! You're in direct violation of the laws of physics!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Polish the exhaust!

Our 88's OE exhaust is Stainless Steel (Not sure about the 89, which is different). It shines up really nice...NOT Nasty.

You could put a screen in, or just paint the exhaust black if you prefer. But IMO screens add aero drag. (Probably doesn't matter at street-legal speeds, but hey!)

The screen idea has plenty of options. Several types of screens (GutterGuard) are available at home stores such as Home Depot or Lowes, also from McMaster-Carr. Plastic, aluminum, whatever look you feel is the greatest. Fasten it with glue, fold the edges for reinforcement.
I tried several materials and ended up using a sheet of perforated stainless to create a skirt which looks ok. But I'm going to do this again but sculp the edges to dissappear behind the exhaust pipes. And as far as aero-drag I attached the skirt to the car with a hinge like bracket that allows the wind to move this up when I go past 100mph. Nice to have a wind tunnel at my dispossal. Thank you for your ideas Ran
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ran1x View Post
And as far as aero-drag I attached the skirt to the car with a hinge like bracket that allows the wind to move this up when I go past 100mph. Nice to have a wind tunnel at my dispossal.
HeeHee... a few days after my previous post, I visited the Yesteryear Motorsports folks at the vintage races at NJ Motorsports Park. What was on the rear opening, aft of the muffler, on the ex-factory X180R?

A SCREEN.

Shows what I know...

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in