New here, '88 esprit turbo, upgraded to SE - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, Jeremy used to call him "the hamster" probably because of his height, or lack of it. Jeremy Clarkson is very tall. Funny thing is, Hammond looks like the perfect height for our cars!
Turbo R likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 04:08 PM

So very true!

Did you see the seat in that car?

I've never seen anyone do that mod in the states yet (that I'm aware of), but have noticed that it is a popular mod in the UK and Europe. Adds lightness and looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisGood View Post
Yeah, Jeremy used to call him "the hamster" probably because of his height, or lack of it. Jeremy Clarkson is very tall. Funny thing is, Hammond looks like the perfect height for our cars!
greenisGood likes this.
post #103 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 08:52 PM

With Makrolon poly.
Attached Images

redfox likes this.

post #104 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 01:49 AM

I'm at 2350 or 1066kg right now and still moving down.
post #105 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 08:52 AM

Thanks gents.

Loren, That's some serious modding !!
I went from 1235 dry (oil and coolant, but no fuel), to 1160Kg so far, and more is on it's way But it takes looong time. Ringht now I am trying to get lighter wider original Wheels. I run a set of AWI Monobloc, but am working on a set of OS Fututra Modular, that I have takes apart completely and had trued and tested being completel radial. Today, I took the final step and removed the outer lips and cleaned them completely from silicone and corrosion. Will use " wider lips so they will be 10,5"*18" rear and 8,5"*17" (standard) front. I had the 150 nuts chemically cleaned and regalvanized. The 150 bolts I have cleaned up by hand.
Right now I am scrubbing off the old brakedust (pretty burnt into surface) with toilet cleaner. Very efficient. Use glove and a mask, glasses and Work outside. I sanded two of the lips Down by hand and polished them up by hand. But then I saw Felgenfuchs in Germany and I may go for 4 lips from them made in Radinox. Extremely strong and can hit a curb with no marks
Then i'll fit the same tires front that I am currently using now: 235/40-17" and wider 315/30-18" rear. Want the Sprot300 look but with more modern lower and faster tires.
My set were very very dirty and badly corroded. Here's a rear after I began working on them. Testfittet a few days ago to see, if they clear the new big brakes. They do, phew! Now much more clean after todays toilet cleaner work, and ready to have new lips. Or i may replaint the barrels first. New paint is nice, but original paint is original. We'll see.

As it is with most Lotus cars, it's an ongoing process. Due to time, Money, availability and so on. It just takes time to work withy these cars.
So, I wanted more support from the seats in my Esprit. The standard SE seats are fairly okay, and I tried to sit in a late model S4/V8 seat, and that have less support and is too soft for my liking. The answer is of course, the Sport 300 seats. I was Lucky enough to find a genuine set. And had them recovered in magnolia leather as that is the original interrior in my SE. It came as a full option car, with magnolia leather also on the roof, the roof frame, behind the seats etc. The Sport 300 seats give you a few more cm's headroom.
Those seats are, as with most things Lotus, nla. As far as I know, SJ Sportscars in the UK are the only ones to make copies. They are cheap and just fine. Beware of the subframes though, as I was told that they are a Little bit diy, but can be used and corrected. Either have them done in UK or have them shipped to you and redone locally. Easy peasy.
My Sport 300 seats were complete with subframes and they Work a breeze. Put them in the lowest position and enjoy. When you enter the car, it says "schwup" and you are ready to take on corners. You can simply feel the car better and soon after you realise that you drive faster. Then comes bigger brakes and then...
Highly recommended!

Yep. As with any Esprit it attracts stares and comments. For example one time when my wife and I had just started on a drive, and we were waiting for a woman in front of us to pass the street. She looked. And looked. And then her two grocery bags slipped out of her hands The she quickly came to her self and continued.

Or the other day, waiting at a red light next to a new fresh 911. A mom with her small son crossed the street in front of us, and the boy stared and told his mom: "look mum, there's the new 911, but that other red car, wauw, that's a race car".
I owed him a dab on the gas pedal when I drove off.

I am sure that all of us have funny stories, so bring em' on!

Kind regards,
Redfox.
Attached Images

Turbo R likes this.

Last edited by redfox; 07-30-2017 at 11:01 AM.
post #106 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 09:46 AM

Thanks Redfox!
Totally appreciated the seat info!

Those were great stories too, I could totally visualize the grocery bags falling, as well as the mom with the small son, that kid has excellent taste in cars! I've had a similar thing happen with kids before and always do my best to encourage and inspire future generations of car guys.

Wow...love those OZ Futuras, your process makes them look new! Looking forward to seeing them when they are done.

Thanks again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox View Post
Thanks gents.
As it is with most Lotus cars, it's an ongoing process. Due to time, Money, availability and so on. It jsut takes time to Work withy these cars.
So, I wanted more support from the seats in my Esprit. The standard SE seats are fairly okay, and I tried to sit in a late model S4/V8 seat, and that have less support and is too soft for my liking. The answer is of course, the Sport 300 seats. I was Lucky enough to find a genuine set. And had them recovered in magnolia leather as that is the original interrior in my SE. It came as a full option car, with magnolia leather also on the roof, the roof frame, behind the seats etc.
Those seats are, as with most Things Lotus, nla. As far as I know SJ Sportscars in the UK are the only ones to make copies. They are cheap. Beware of the dubframes, as I was told that they are a Little bit diy, but can be used and corrected. Either have them done in UK or have them shipped to you and redone locally.
My Sport 300 seats were complete with subframes and they Work a breeze. Put them in the lowest position and enjoy. When you enter the car, it says "schwup" and you are ready to take on corners. You can simply feel the car better and soon after you realise that you drive faster. Then comes bigger brakes and then...
Highly recommended!

Yep. As with any Esprit it attracts stares and comments. For example one time when my wife and I had just started on a drive, and we were waiting for a woman in front of us to pass the street. She looked. And looked. And then her two grocery bags slipped out of her hands The she quickly came to her self and continued.

Or the other day, waiting at a red light NeXT toa new fresh 911. A mom with her small son crossed the street in front of us, and the boy stared and told his mom: "look mum, there's the new 911, but that other red car, wauw, that's a race car".
I owed him a dab on the gas pedal when I drove off.

I am sure that all of us have funny stories, so bring em' on!

Kind regards,
Redfox.
redfox likes this.

Last edited by Turbo R; 07-30-2017 at 09:54 AM.
post #107 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 10:23 AM
fma

Redfox - the AWI's are still my favorite Esprit wheel - looks fantastic.
redfox likes this.
post #108 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 10:51 AM

Ha ha! Thanks

I forgot a bit of the story. So, as we drove on, my wife asked me, "What was that about that woman loosing her grocery bags"? I replied: "Honey, you. just witnessed the Esprit effect".

Here's another one:
I went with my friend (he's got a 996 911 Chaos car) to a street new Classic car meet in the other end of the Island where we live (Sealand). So, having been there for a few hours, we prepared to drive home. And right after my friend started his 911, A Group of japanese tourist came by to have a look. They passed the 911 and stopped to see the Esprit. A nice woman came close to ask about the car. "That's a very nice car, sir. Oh, thanks, it was in the movie Pretty Woman. Oh really? Yes, and in Basic Instinct. Oh reeeally? Yes, and in two James Bond movies as well and a teenspy movie called If Looks could kill, too. Oh rreeeeeeeeaalllyyyyy? Thanks for chatting", I have to drive home, and off I went. Every single japanese tourist clapped in their hands... And my friend followed shortly after, pretty silent.
Just an ordinary experience I had with the Esprit.
It kind of creates an opportunity for contact and a chat. And as you said, we should do all we can to plant the Esprit virus in every single Little child. When they grow up and drive (or rather, are being automatically transported) on a silly Little Electric carpet, they should have this experience in the back of their mind

Kind regards, Redfox.
Attached Images

Turbo R likes this.

Last edited by redfox; 07-30-2017 at 11:04 AM.
post #109 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 11:53 AM

Looking quite a bit different now.
Attached Images

redfox likes this.
post #110 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 12:40 PM

A modernized Lotus Esprit Supercar!

Have you ever thought about making a GT1 replica?

Kind regards,
Redfox.
post #111 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 01:03 PM

Yuk, hate the bubbles for wheel wells.
post #112 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 12:48 PM

HI, i'm back!

here mine. first set made to my specs with help from jason at rotiform. i didnt know he made another set! car looks great. i lowered mine a bit with spax coilovers to make them fit a bit better and i have no change in handling. love this car!

not mine, from a calander photo shoot with a girl :P
shay2nak and Turbo R like this.
post #113 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Welcome back! Is the Pantera yours too?
post #114 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

And where are you that you can use that front plate?
post #115 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 07:52 PM

I was thinking the same thing...is that Pantera yours as well, Lolo? Love the color too! Welcome back!!!

BTW, "Green is Good"...not sure where Lolo is based, but the Frankenfeld covered bridge is in Point Pleasant, Pennsylvania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franke...Covered_Bridge

Happy Friday, all!!!
post #116 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 05:19 AM

no, pantera is a customers car.
that cover bridge is in erwinna Pa, 200 yards from my driveway
Turbo R likes this.
post #117 of 123 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

There was a question a while back about an Esprit looking like it sat slightly high that had the Bilstein -Lotus struts. I suggested that he do what I did, they ARE adjustable. I thought I'd post the after pics. Sat about 10=12mm too high. Now it's perfect. I included some other pics...just because..well happy with the way it came out. Never done tho.....
Attached Images

shay2nak, Erik L, lotus4s and 2 others like this.
post #118 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 06:52 AM

Wow that looks great! Love it.
greenisGood likes this.

2018 AMG C43 flashed 460hp (wifey)
2017 Shelby GT350
2009 Vantage
2003 996TT X50 Upgrades 1.2 Bar
2001 Esprit V8
1994 FD
2017 F150 Eco boost (Daily)
post #119 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:01 PM

Garage
The stance, color and the wheels, and finish on the wheels make that SE look totally modern, its transformed. I like it as much as the S4.
greenisGood likes this.
post #120 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! but my car is actually an '88 not an SE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in