No brake assist + High idle. Vacuum Leak? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By esprit888
  • 2 Post By countach5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

No brake assist + High idle. Vacuum Leak?

I took a drive last night and my brake assist was at first intermittent. By the end of the 25-minute drive, the brake assist was totally gone, plus the car was idling around 1500rpm or more. I'm assuming it sprang a vacuum leak somehow. I think I'm hearing an unfamiliar whistling noise in the engine bay but can't pinpoint it. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:40 AM

Garage
It sounds like you sprung a leak in the vacuum hose for your brake booster. I'm not familiar with the Esprits so I can't tell you where to look but you're looking for a large vacuum hose, about 5/8" or 15 mm diameter. The hoses typically fail near where they connect to the engine intake, where the heat from the engine decays the hose and they'll start cracking. Often you can just cut off the bad part of the hose and plug it back in, good as new. If you can pinpoint that new whistling noise I'm sure you'll find the problem.

2005 Ardent Red Elise, Gut Sport wing & splitter, custom diffuser, Sector111: DSBrace, gPan3, subStuffy2, Larini Sport muffler, decat pipe, Schroth Racing 5 pts, wheel studs, Team Dynamics 1.2 with Hoosier A6s, Koldflash 200 ECU flash, BOE rear clam hinge, BC Racing single adjustables, Hawk pads, SS Brake Lines, HID lights, custom tail and high mount brake light...and much more...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:19 AM

As you have a V8 ? (always helps to put your year in the question) your brake assist is electric not Vacuum so in theory they are not related, but its a Lotus so anything is possible The higher Idle RPM could be the ECU compensating for something, such as a Vacuum leak at the intake manifold.

Last edited by esprit888; 08-11-2019 at 11:13 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:55 PM

The V-8's use a vacuum booster. The "electric" stuff is the ABS. It *could* be a hose problem but it can also be a leaking booster. Plug the hose by the motor and see if the noise goes away. If it does, pull the hose by the booster and plug it and see if the noise goes away. I don't think on the V-8's a vacuum leak is going to give you that high an idle unless it is in the idle motor system. Vacuum leaks are best found by using a smoke machine. It makes the invisible, visible.
David Teitelbaum
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:20 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Waiting for confirmation of year/model....

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
The V-8's use a vacuum booster. The "electric" stuff is the ABS. It *could* be a hose problem but it can also be a leaking booster. Plug the hose by the motor and see if the noise goes away. If it does, pull the hose by the booster and plug it and see if the noise goes away. I don't think on the V-8's a vacuum leak is going to give you that high an idle unless it is in the idle motor system. Vacuum leaks are best found by using a smoke machine. It makes the invisible, visible.
David Teitelbaum
The service/parts manual show a Vacuum booster on pre-98 MY while later V8's have an electric vacuum pump (see Atwells post above re: model year)

2001 V8 TT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:51 PM

My '99 has a vacuum booster.
David Teitelbaum
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:50 PM

All V8's used a vacuum booster. Vacuum source was a hose to the manifold.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Grey View Post
All V8's used a vacuum booster. Vacuum source was a hose to the manifold.
Travis,
Thatís actually what I thought, so I just pulled up the parts manual for a quick look and found two options? I thought it odd too as I could hear my S4 electric pump no problem and no such noise on my V8 (which is new to me so I havenít looked in to the brakes......yet) curious though where on the manifold? as its under positive pressure (from turbo boost) so where does it pull a vacuum? (As this connection could be the original posters issue)

2001 V8 TT
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:35 AM

When you are under boost the check valve holds vacuum for the booster and typically you are not using brakes when under boost. The booster can hold enough vacuum for 1-2 pumps of the brake pedal. A bad check valve can cause braking problems under boost so it should probably be checked to make sure it is working, besides checking for vacuum leaks. There is an "operational check" of the servo in section JG page 17. The hose supplying vacuum to the servo comes off the front, right side of the motor, a large black hose. Refer to section ED page 65. #23. BTW, there is a vacuum reservoir to supply vacuum during periods of boost for the climate controls. In actuality you really are not under positive pressure (boost) very often or for very long so typically you would not notice any fluctuation in your vacuum controls. On cars with vacuum advance, it is usually disconnected when you install positive aspiration. On a Lotus V-8, ignition is controlled electronically by the ECU so you don't need vacuum for it. The evap system is not operating during boost so it doesn;t mind the lack of vacuum for a short time.
David Teitelbaum
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
When you are under boost the check valve holds vacuum for the booster and typically you are not using brakes when under boost. The booster can hold enough vacuum for 1-2 pumps of the brake pedal. A bad check valve can cause braking problems under boost so it should probably be checked to make sure it is working, besides checking for vacuum leaks. There is an "operational check" of the servo in section JG page 17. The hose supplying vacuum to the servo comes off the front, right side of the motor, a large black hose. Refer to section ED page 65. #23. BTW, there is a vacuum reservoir to supply vacuum during periods of boost for the climate controls. In actuality you really are not under positive pressure (boost) very often or for very long so typically you would not notice any fluctuation in your vacuum controls. On cars with vacuum advance, it is usually disconnected when you install positive aspiration. On a Lotus V-8, ignition is controlled electronically by the ECU so you don't need vacuum for it. The evap system is not operating during boost so it doesn;t mind the lack of vacuum for a short time.
David Teitelbaum
Yup,
All makes sense now, and i believe the two pump options on the V8 were for the HVAC vacuum, not the brakes (same as the S4 where the Vacuum pump does not have anything to do with the brakes) I haven't driven my V8 enough to even get aquantied with all the systems yet, but the AP brakes are awesome! found that the servo vac hose connected to the front right bank of the manifold (attached number 23)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf V8 Vac line160.pdf (62.6 KB, 6 views)
carbuff likes this.

2001 V8 TT
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Found the issue. The vacuum hose had come loose from its clip and was in contact with a spinning pulley. Wore a hole right through.
carbuff and Vulcan Grey like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in