Penelope Pitstop Resurrection - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 491Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:20 PM

I can verify that.
I've repaired a car after a standard fire suppressant was used.
A big mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

Today it will be a big bottle of Co2 with two small bottles of powder fire suppressant I hate that stuff but it does work. Cross you fingers I covered all bases correctly. Otherwise Atwell will have a good story to share for years to come.
post #43 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 05:22 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna'sEspirtTurbo View Post
Cross you fingers I covered all bases correctly. Otherwise Atwell will have a good story to share for years to come.
What's the best GoPro mount for a fire extinguisher? LOL.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R

post #44 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 07:31 AM

Just curious....does your Esprit's air conditioning
work ? Been close to buying an S3 like your's but
non-working AC units have kept me looking. I'm
in Oklahoma....and without AC in the summers its
just no fun driving a car like this. I'm even concerned
that a working AC may not cool the cabin effectively
in the hot months: May, June, July, August, September,
October, November. It can even get up to 90 degrees
in February in Oklahoma!!!
post #45 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 01:54 PM

Any competent shop can repair or rehabilitate a Lotus system. There is nothing special or exotic about an Esprit's AC. The compressor is a Sanden and it and all the other parts are widely available. In my opinion the older systems using R12 (which is available) actually are better and cooler than the R134a later systems. So if you see a car you like just negotiate the price of repairing the AC rather than passing on a car for that reason. I live in Florida and had my entire system redone when I first bought my car about 7 years ago. It is fully capable of cooling the cabin even in Florida summer heat.

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
post #46 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

Just came in,, tomorrow I post what the day brought us. Shortly a very happy purring kitten in my garage that sounds awesome. Drive naked, the last thing I worry about on a rebuilt is A/C and I take it for granted it wont work. Its a given with a car that was in storage for a long period as Penelope was.
Now Atwell point it at a Fiero,, My sisters would have been a good example. Thank you so much for today.
Bed now and sharing the great news tomorrow and stories along with those oh my that just didn't happen moments.
Stay tuned this is gonna be fun

Jenna
Gallagher likes this.
post #47 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 07:37 PM

Hey Jenna, have you got the factory workshop manual for your car?

Jeff
1990 Esprit SE
post #48 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher View Post
Hey Jenna, have you got the factory workshop manual for your car?
Yes I have the owners hand book in the car, along with the parts book and service manual. Contact "carbuff" some of these books are available as a pdf

The books are good but cater to an experienced technician and not a hobbyist. Knowing that small item of interest may be missing at minute detail levels. I think kidnapping Atwell might be a lot better then the books.
Just my humble opinion. I do not endorse kidnapping unless your really desperate. Then by all means have at it.

Jenna
post #49 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

The Big Day

Okay a mug of coffee at hand and a big breakfast,, Chores somewhat done ( not really) and now without further delay the story,,,

Regardless of how today went one way or the other I must say with total conviction that Atwell ( not Atwood as I have been guilty of posting here) is a stand up guy as well as a treasure chest of information on the Lotus Esprit class cars. I only wish I could remember everything that he shared yesterday. He certainly put me at ease as we worked on Penelope and chatted back and forth across the engine. Lotus needs to hire him as a consultant on this Model of Esprit. He certainly has been a stalwart of not letting the non current models fade from their glory years and re-birthing a long dormant car is right up his alley. I owe his wife and him a nice dinner out very soon
Now on to the day. In preparation for the roll out and start up I went to the Firehouse and picked up a manly size CO2 fire extinguisher to complement my smaller one at home. Lotus has done a smashing job of utilizing as much fuel line in various diameters on the car. I figure all things considered there is upward of 15 foot of fuel line and an equal amount of vacuum and vapor lines if not more. Hose company executives just sit back and smile as they count their money with this car. Atwell did get that remaining hose that I left for him and it wasn't in a terrible spot to get too. (Grin) I did show sympathy and didn't want to run him off that early in the day. I had to replace the lever for the choke cable line and included the new retainer for the cable that didn't come with the car. Nick did a fab job of machining a new custom one. We needed some wire ends to replace some broken wires to the plenum and made off to the local Napa for small items needed.
Once all was attached, crimped and in place we pushed the car out into the driveway. For some reason Atwell moved his Esprit back away from the scene. Fire fighting bottles nearby we fired Penelope up. The choke was finicky but we got her running. While cold she sounded great and when she warmed up we got a rich fuel smell and random popping in the exhaust. No fuel leaks we shut her down and decided not to go for a ride around the block as the brakes felt spongy still. We erred on safety and put her back in the garage. Atwell called a car expert on these cars and chatted him up a bit about the carbs.
I started to take the top of the damper off for the choke in top of the front carb and my fingers got a burning sensation and I let go. The cap went forward and the spring fell into the abyss down under the carbs. Drats, that just didn't happen. Did it? Two hours later after we search in vain he found it down low along the distributor. I will post the picture of him with lights, mirror and magnet fishing about while on top of the engine. The man truly climbs right in and goes to work. Yes that distributor wonderful piece of engineering marvel still getting me. In our search we found remnants of others leave behinds, we weren't alone. I was looking at the carbs figuring what I had to unhook to get the tops off the carbs and clean the jets and there was the problem staring me in the face. Atwell's friend gave him directions and it was a unwilling got to do this job taking the carb tops off. As I loosen the new cable retainer the choke return springs pulled the choke off completely by themselves. Eureka, that had to be it. We agreed to start her back up in the garage with the choke cable off. The sound of harmony came out of the exhaust and the engine purred. Success!
Many of my fears of this car melted away at the moment and the rest are small things that will surely consume money and Penelope will share a labor love with me as we make all things right. Today the head light relay for opening them is on the list of to does and the cooling fans relay will be looked into also. I did spent time last night pulling the cable out of the choke and attempting to free it up more. I found it broken at the top in the dash and the reason why it was not shutting off completely. Monday will be time to order a new one a fight me from the dash to the rear of the car with it. And it will all be done with a smile on my face as it is all good as it should be in the land of British cars.
Thank you Atwell from the both Penelope and I for your due diligence today.

Jenna: wink2:
Attached Images

Last edited by Jenna'sEspritTurbo; 11-15-2015 at 02:46 PM.
post #50 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

And more

Atwell grabbed this at the first start up. Good catch! Thank you!!

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...fTucO7mT3_2_wE

Last edited by Jenna'sEspritTurbo; 11-15-2015 at 09:10 AM.
post #51 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Yes I have the owners hand book in the car, along with the parts book and service manual. Contact "carbuff" some of these books are available as a pdf

The books are good but cater to an experienced technician and not a hobbyist. Knowing that small item of interest may be missing at minute detail levels. I think kidnapping Atwell might be a lot better then the books.
Just my humble opinion. I do not endorse kidnapping unless your really desperate. Then by all means have at it.

Jenna
Oh ok, I have the shop manual for your car and it's not of any use to me.

Jeff
1990 Esprit SE
post #52 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

Ahh I am sure someone here would love to have that book. Thank you putting that out there for others to see. I would never lend mine outside the house. I did that once with a cook book my parents gave me and I lent it out once never to be seen again and when I asked for it back they told me they didn't have it,, Ugggh. There was a venison stroganoff recipe in there I have never been able to duplicate. It just tweaks me when ever I make it knowing its not right. Errrrr

Peace
Jenna

PS I would still kidnap him if you had a real need hahahaha
post #53 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

Parts books, the missing pages story

I have the parts book for my car and I am missing pages out of mine. Where do I find these on line so that I can print them out and install them in my book as well as work intelligently on the headlights
I noticed today that the pages containing the head light motors are missing, Atwell pointed out yesterday that I am missing the index pages from the beginning up to 30.00. I found the headlight motor section missing today. Surprise surprise.

post #54 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Jenna, sent you a PM.

Oh, and the new link to Penelope's Grand Start is here

http://vid15.photobucket.com/albums/...pssmwzyzvr.mp4

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

post #55 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

Sweet
post #56 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 05:35 PM

Congratulations!
Jenna'sEspritTurbo likes this.

2016 Chevy Cruze, manual
1987 Lotus Esprit Turbo HCi
2005 Elise
1981 DeLorean, manual, EFI conversion
post #57 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:20 PM

Well done....been following this journey because I
may well be in the same boat soon....presently looking
for a S3 but none for sale within 500 miles of
Oklahoma...uggh. Can't even find one to take a
ride in. Been in a S1, but prefer the updates built
into the S3. I can't even find a local mechanic that
would be able to help me out if I need it....nobody
around here has worked on a Lotus.

How big of a problem is not having a lift to get the
car up in the air to get to things from underneath?
post #58 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by delomike1049 View Post
Congratulations!
Thank you Mike,, Penelope being 100% on the drive train sure takes a load off my mind. What was a great buy could have easily been my worst nightmare. One that I would have stayed the course and whined the whole time. You all have been saved from that horrid fate this time.

laugh2:
post #59 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

Espritkeeper

Getting underneath isn't hard. I have a floor jack and lifted the whole car off the ground and put her on jack stands. I basically lived under her the first couple weeks,, or so it felt. Having a creeper is highly advisable. If you have long hair you will want it tied up,, I cant remember how many times my hair got in the creeper wheels and yanked my head back in pain. Now I keep it shorter but it still requires I wear a ball cap when under her. A car that has been sitting a long time will require lots of time under to be sure. Good luck on the search and if the A/C doesn't work naked or modest gym shorts in 100% cotton is in order. Good hunting. It sounds like you should be shopping one in good condition. Hiring a mechanic will put his kids through college if you are not mechanically inclined. Though driving Atwell's last week sure would make you think the car is bullet proof. It is very well maintained by him. I think part of the problem here is as things break folks just leave it be and in time the car gets parked and repairs become huge dollars or pounds if you live across the pond as many Lotus owners do. The key is staying up with the car and not behind chasing maintenance and repairs. I don't think any British car owner would argue you that. Good shopping ( I love shopping ) lol

PS: a parting thought get someone with Lotus experience, even a member here to survey the car before you put money into a deposit. In my case I couldnt get it done, but I did do that with a 48 Willy's jeep I hand a few years back that I bought in California. The money was well worth it in piece of mind and making sure oranges were good oranges and not rotten.

Jenna
post #60 of 1139 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 05:41 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
... driving Atwell's Esprit last week...

Couldn't help but make the offer, once I discovered you had never driven one!

It was my way of providing an INCENTIVE to get Penelope back in shape! (I think it worked, too.)
Jenna'sEspritTurbo likes this.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in