Penelope Pitstop Resurrection - Page 9 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 533Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
After you replaced the fuses a week ago, the pod motors worked didn't they? So you know the motors are good.

One lead is UP the other DOWN on the older motors. There are diodes involved to, if that ain't ELECTRONIC I don't know what is!

Just don't blow the horn again! (That's what fried the fuses again, right?) Should have gotten plates saying MOOV OVR.

I thought I sent you some bits of Section MC showing the circuits.
Sorry I mean the fan motors?? But then the headlights are about the same. The fan motors have two leads coming out of the motor and the motor is grounded to the frame Now do energize them. It didn't work with my hot pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

Diodes?? Wasnt them that robot things from Dr Who? I got to look into getting a time travel phone booth.
post #163 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 04:30 PM

Daleks... Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!

Cheers!

Scott
Jenna'sEspritTurbo likes this.

1986 Turbo Esprit HCi

post #164 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna'sEspirtTurbo View Post
Diodes?? Wasnt them that robot things from Dr Who? I got to look into getting a time travel phone booth.
I can't help with the time traveling phone booth, but how about my time traveling car?

2016 Chevy Cruze, manual
1987 Lotus Esprit Turbo HCi
2005 Elise
1981 DeLorean, manual, EFI conversion
post #165 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 09:12 AM
Dreaded Prior Owner

One BRG Esprit, as requested. I don't have any glamour shots, most of my pictures are of greasy parts, she's a weekly worker not a daily driver!

Hazard rocker was whittled from a bit of high density fibreglass for strength in small section. Most of my switches needed a good cleaning and some dielectric grease, the exposed metal contacts tend to corrode. This saved my headlight switch, but the hazards had a brittle broken nylon contact rocker.
Attached Images

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
Chargecooled w/Megasquirt EFI
post #166 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 09:51 AM

Would love to see some pictures of the EFI installation, and some more info on how you did it.

2016 Chevy Cruze, manual
1987 Lotus Esprit Turbo HCi
2005 Elise
1981 DeLorean, manual, EFI conversion
post #167 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrx View Post
One BRG Esprit, as requested. I don't have any glamour shots, most of my pictures are of greasy parts, she's a weekly worker not a daily driver!

Hazard rocker was whittled from a bit of high density fibreglass for strength in small section. Most of my switches needed a good cleaning and some dielectric grease, the exposed metal contacts tend to corrode. This saved my headlight switch, but the hazards had a brittle broken nylon contact rocker.
She is a cutie,, I love her. Most Brit cars are a work of un-ending progress,, what I really meant was un-ending processes lol. But somehow I really believe that is done on purpose so those with a real love affair of Brit cars can find a soul mate to spend those hours, and hours and hours of bonding with. Maybe they are alive if only through our common bond. Thank you for the pic. Jenna
post #168 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

agreed this sounds like an interesting car

I got a feeling there is a cherry in that car
post #169 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

Okay,, I got more information on my cars past today. It turns out she was part of a collection from a gentlemen out East originally. Where we don't know. He gave the car to a guy in Minneapolis for free some time ago. It was in the after fifteen years time frame. It was missing some interior parts and the guy in Minneapolis replaced some of those parts (ashtrays, center armrest, seats ), rebuilt the carbs and replaced the fuel pump to get it running. We do not know what the connection was between the two men, only that he paid to have the car shipped to Minnesota and did the work to get her running again. I bought the car from the guy he sold it to and thus flipped the car to me. The guy I bought it from is very excited and happy to see her being brought back to life and we chat weekly on her progress. Thank you Shane for the extra bits of info on her. I did get a confirmation letter from the state today and her new permanent tags will be shipping in the coming weeks. Her new tags are "PENELPE" I can live with that.

Tomorrow I have a shipment coming in from JAE,, its gonna be a busy weekend starting tomorrow night with all the new stuff,, pics to follow,, on another note I talked with a close Brit friend whose comment when I told him her fans won't energize,, simple fix,, tap the back of the motor with a hammer,, the brushes will hang up and freeze over time in a stored car, its an ancient Lucas fix not in the books,, highly kept secret. I hope he is right. Maxwell Silver hammer came down upon her motor,,,,

post #170 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

UPS just dropped off a box of goodies from JAE. I can have Xmas everyday of the weeks from JAE as long as my Visa holds out lol
Cant wait for the work day to end. I sooooooooooo wanna put the flasher relay in and see what works. Think only good thoughts lol
post #171 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

So,,I got the flasher but what port does it go in. I have two, green and red. Okay, I think we need to call Jay and ask do you just happen to have another flasher for the hazards? I just don't trust the schematics anymore like they are the bible. Cause they aren't even close.
So my excitement about flashers is put on hold,, but not the light pods.
I was thinking about Snow's comments about using whale bone to fix a switch (sounds better then dense fiberglas) and I was lubing the pods anyway and readjusting the hood because it was a bit out of square and hitting when I flashed the lights. The new hood gas strut introduced another issue to consider when closing the hood. Close it on the cylinder side as not to load up the hood hinge unduly. So I went back and started fumbling with the headlight switch while leaning on the car from the outside. The lights went up,, right side first then the left. I tried to repeat it and after some repeated tries,, up they came again. Eureka,, Mark saying the car sat, use a hammer and tap the fan motors and Snowrx's whale bone gave me an idea. CONTACTS. The next thing you know I had the dash left side open and the light switch out. Some mouse dropping inside. Glad I had an engineer at some point watching over things. A lil vacuuming and on to the switch. The contacts were flashed over and needed cleaning. ( look at the third and fourth pictures) A lil Dremel action on low speed to get the build up off and then four hundred wet dry paper between the contacts. Popped open a new tube of dialectic grease and a small drill bit and everything got a lil dab. Needless to say, the lights are 100% now. Tomorrow night we tackle the flashers and I am pulling the hazard switch out for the same maintenance. Thank you snowrx. Lesson learned listen to what folks say, in there lies clues to Lotus ills you haven't experienced or fixes to ones you have now.
Attached Images

AceVentura likes this.

Last edited by Jenna'sEspritTurbo; 12-03-2015 at 03:51 PM.
post #172 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 10:06 PM

good work...
A can of electronics cleaner spray helps too...
especially before the dielectric grease. I also
use a can of compressed air duster to blow
out dust after the cleaner spray.
post #173 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 09:55 AM
glb

The best electronic cleaner I've found is Deoxit: (Amazon is a source)

Cleans brilliantly.
Safe for plastics.
Coats the metal so new oxidation doesn't happen.

I have both spray and pen types.

The Battery Tender plug is in front grill of XRS. That required periodic cleaning, then coating with Vaseline, as it sees lots of rain and salt etc.

I used Deoxit and no more maintenance is required.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #174 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Dreaded Prior Owner

Gotta love the cheap-n-simple fixes! Glad it worked for you.
Someone really clever would use a little brush style electroplater to cover the copper contacts with gold!

On my 1985, the flasher unit would be plugged into a red socket (upper right) next to the fusebox at drivers left.

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
Chargecooled w/Megasquirt EFI

Last edited by snowrx; 12-04-2015 at 11:13 AM.
post #175 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 01:52 PM

Good fix on the lights, hopefully its not temporary. They come apart very easily (as long as you are careful with old plastic) and typically the rocker itself is worn (see pic) or the copper contact arms are slightly bent not achieving a good contact. Interestingly enough this switch is still available, I don't recall from where but I do have a brand new spare in the garage if yours craps out. Also on the earlier headlight motors there are a few other items that can and do go wrong. Mostly the grease inside gets hard and causes the motor to overload, blowing the diodes within the motor. These too can be easily replaced (see pic)
Attached Images

AceVentura likes this.
post #176 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrx View Post
Gotta love the cheap-n-simple fixes! Glad it worked for you.
Someone really clever would use a little brush style electroplater to cover the copper contacts with gold!

On my 1985, the flasher unit would be plugged into a red socket (upper right) next to the fusebox at drivers left.
Thanx I will run with that and work out the directional's from there.
Lil by little I am winning this rehab

post #177 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by esprit888 View Post
Good fix on the lights, hopefully its not temporary. They come apart very easily (as long as you are careful with old plastic) and typically the rocker itself is worn (see pic) or the copper contact arms are slightly bent not achieving a good contact. Interestingly enough this switch is still available, I don't recall from where but I do have a brand new spare in the garage if yours craps out. Also on the earlier headlight motors there are a few other items that can and do go wrong. Mostly the grease inside gets hard and causes the motor to overload, blowing the diodes within the motor. These too can be easily replaced (see pic)
Looks like you had some water in there with the green. Mine looked brand new inside when I opened the right side motor. More good info to keep in mind for down the road thank you!
post #178 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

I could be having a nice Catamaran Sailing Club season winedown dinner at the Jersey shore with the rest of the fleet but I am on a mission in my garage to get Penelope right and the bugs behind us.
So after last nights success I was motivated to get the hazards and directionals working right. I thought as well as I was at it I should check the defroster switch also. I had luck opening up the light switch it might be prudent to do the hazards switch also. So I opened up the right side dash tonight and installed the flasher in the red outlet as advise next to the fuse panel..
I got the switch out and found that some genius loaded it up with what looked like wheel bearing grease. X2 I dug out as much as I could with a small screwdriver then went in with Berkebile cleaner on Q tips. It was nasty but I got the switch clean and then dressed up the contacts with 400 wet dry sand paper again like I did with the light switch. Another success I now have hazards working and I also clean up the right front light socket as it had a bit of corrosion in it and now its fine. So here is why you pay big dollars for the owners handbook when you see it on Ebay. The owners handbook has very correct pertinent information on your car that far exceeds the shop manual. Lesson learned. The fuse panel and relays spelled out in the handbook is great and makes the shop book look amateur in nature. I need to pick up some fuses tomorrow and I should have the directional's in order and just maybe the radiator fans. I sure got my fingers crossed anyway.
I think missing the dinner was well worth it tonight.
Attached Images

AceVentura likes this.
post #179 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

We got turn signals working now. Off for a ride to see if the cleaning on the cooling fans connections worked and those gentle Maxwell Silverhammer taps loosened contacts up. Maybe a couple pictures in the park are in order
post #180 of 1182 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
You can't make this up

it was a set back day unfortunately The hazards work fine, but the directional flasher was clicking continuously and when signaling both dash turn indicators were flashing. Somehow I think this flasher isn't the right one for the car. I removed it while driving and the fuel starve was still there under load. I am questioning whether the right pump was installed in January by the previous owner I pulled the pump today and will replace it and install a pressure gauge and open up the fuel regulator. The fuel filter was opened and did show some dirt but nothing like those first days. I'm not sure the gph or pressure may not be sufficient of the pump that was installed which maybe contributing to my fuel starvation problem. Hopefully this all ends at the fuel regulator and diaphragm. I do not want to open the carbs. I spent hours on line looking for a new inline pump and still haven't found one yet. I was thinking something in the 6 to 9 psi class with a gph rating around 50-55. Only thing I found for psi in a carb car was a rating of 4.5 psi nothing answering to gph figure. I'm bummed out. I tried to spec a bosch pump but hey sure hide the out put of their pumps. Tommorrow is another day I guess. Today I took a mental beating. Night all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in