The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

purging air from engine coolant system

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jimjumpn48 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to purge all the air out of the two cooling systems? My 93 runs at 82-85c with the low coolant light coming on and off. I purged the air from the top of the radiator with no change. Last weekend I returned home after a 30 mile drive on the freeway only to hear a bubbling / boiling over sound coming from the right side of the engine. After the engine cooled I checked the coolant levels for the block and charge cooler to find them full and coolant in the overflow reservoir. All suggestions welcome, Thank You

#2 ·
Best thing I have ever use for refilling coolant on our mid-engined cars...

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Airlift-Cooling-System-Checker-Airlock/dp/B07BT3978C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1537215448&sr=8-2&keywords=coolant+air+lift[/ame]

#4 ·
Make sure that the overflow reservoir has coolant. Often, the scum on the inside of the plastic bottle makes it LOOK okay, when it isn't. :no:

Even without bleeding, the system should purge itself of air eventually. You just need to top up the reservoir (cold) on the next 5 or 6 drives. Of course, this assumes that your pressure cap on the bottle is pressurizing OK (15 pound or one BAR rating cap), and that it includes BOTH rubber seals inside. (Some newer Lotus pressure caps don't include the large rubber seal in the top of the cap.) :huh:

Higher RPMs help to get the air out of the nooks and crannies of the engine, also. :p :clap:

PS: If the header tank (metal on the '93, correct?) is ful,l and the LOW COOLANT light is coming on, suspect a poor connection at the switch on the bottom of the header.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.