Quaife LSD vs. Sport 300 differential - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Quaife LSD vs. Sport 300 differential

Have you heard about comparison between Quaife QDF-5M and Lotus Sport 300 Limited Slip Differential?

Quaife is a spring a loaded LSD, whilst OEM 300 is a (longitudinal) TORSEN type differential.

Some owners insist that OEM 300 is a much better unit, hmmm...?

I'm curious.

Your thoughts/impressions?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:38 AM

I've heard of the Sport 300 LSD suffering wear or damage...

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Grey View Post
I've heard of the Sport 300 LSD suffering wear or damage...
Wasn't the X-180 R you drove equipped with 300 LDS differential?
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:08 PM

no, the X180-R has a ZF plate type LSD.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:49 AM

I'm confused , the Quaife unit and the Lotus factory unit are of the same design. There are no "springs" in the Quaife differential, they both biase the torque away from the spinning wheel using helical planetary gears.

14' Evora S
00' S1 Exige
94' S4 Esprit (SOLD)
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:56 AM

@mikelr The Quaife has a spring between the 2 sun gears in the middle bore, the Lotus ATB has a thrust washer between the short planet gears and then apparently between the two stub axles sun gears..

It looks like the Quaife design has some radial support at the base of the sun gears to prevent any angularity issues.
The Lotus ATB has those short gears also riding on the thrust washer, and the long gears going through it.. Maybe that leads to extra wear compared to the Quaife?

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Sig

Garage
As long as you have helically cut gears, you will have thrust. There must be a difference in the helix angle... But that will also effect the "limited slip" function of the differential. My guess would be that the one without the springs will give you more complete "locking"...

Whoever said that island life is great was never committed to Alcatraz...
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:06 PM

They certainly are popular in the motorsport world, I've been running a Quaife diff in my Exige for 8 years, no issues (knock wood).

14' Evora S
00' S1 Exige
94' S4 Esprit (SOLD)
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:12 PM

I like my Quaife in my Esprit SE!

The X180-R ZF was locked until slip, so it did add low speed understeer, compared to my SE with a Quaife, and would allow both rear wheels to spin pretty easily, felt less progressive than the Quaife (the ZF was more on-off).

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:19 PM

I've seen instances where those using plate style LSD were having major handling issues due to the "non-progressive" nature of the LSD operation. The Quaife LSD unit is definitely the way to go.

14' Evora S
00' S1 Exige
94' S4 Esprit (SOLD)
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Hmm...
I thought, the OE Sport 300 was more robust than Quaife?
I'm not familiar with ZF.
I'd like to bring together a business case and evaluate feasibility of making a batch.
Attached Images

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:28 AM

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:17 AM
Sig

Garage
I know when torsen differentials were offered to the general public by the patent holder, they wanted to know your wheel base, track and tire size to fabricate a properly working differential. Now they only sell to OEMs.

They are gear ratios...If it was not designed for your specific car, it won't work properly. By the fact that there are complaints of it not working properly is just proof it was not designed for the car it is installed in.

If there are springs in the differential, they are there just to take up the back lash.

I'd get the OEM differential.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine.gun.kelly View Post
I know when torsen differentials were offered to the general public by the patent holder, they wanted to know your wheel base, track and tire size to fabricate a properly working differential. Now they only sell to OEMs.

They are gear ratios...If it was not designed for your specific car, it won't work properly. By the fact that there are complaints of it not working properly is just proof it was not designed for the car it is installed in.

If there are springs in the differential, they are there just to take up the back lash.

I'd get the OEM differential.

?

The Lotus Compact Torque Biasing Differential was only offered on 64 Esprit Sport 300 models made from 1992-1995. I've been told by an owner that they had problems early on, and some number of Sport 300 did not get equipped with the LSD due to this problem, and were sold with the normal open Differential.

The Quaife ATB was designed specifically for the UN1 in the Esprit, after being requested by owners in a group by IIRC. Many people have one, including myself, and they work fine (except for being difficult to seal at the differential output shafts). I have not heard of one complaint about the Quaife diff in any Esprit UN1.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:55 PM
Sig

Garage
Quote:
?

The Lotus Compact Torque Biasing Differential was only offered on 64 Esprit Sport 300 models made from 1992-1995. I've been told by an owner that they had problems early on, and some number of Sport 300 did not get equipped with the LSD due to this problem, and were sold with the normal open Differential.

The Quaife ATB was designed specifically for the UN1 in the Esprit, after being requested by owners in a group by IIRC. Many people have one, including myself, and they work fine (except for being difficult to seal at the differential output shafts). I have not heard of one complaint about the Quaife diff in any Esprit UN1.
If it was designed specifically for that car, then that's the way to go... Only one caution is, how do you know? There is a difference between knowing, being told and thinking...

Oh...And believing and wanting to believe...

Last edited by machine.gun.kelly; 03-29-2017 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Added last sentence...
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:22 AM

Anecdotal reports by owners must be taken with regard to where it comes from. Most owners are not skilled enough or have enough experience to be able to tel the difference let alone compare 2 different differentials. It's only going to matter at the extremes of the performance envelope where few dare to go. The other huge variable is the tires. To compare you must compare with as many variables controlled as possible. Lastly "better" is a relative term. Either will change the driving characteristics of the car, sometimes not for the better. There is always a trade-off. To improve one aspect another is degraded. IMHO the difference between the diffs is negligible and for most of us we wouldn't notice it. In fact, for most of us, it wouldn't matter if it had a torque sensing diff at all!
David Teitelbaum
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 08:35 AM
Sig

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
Anecdotal reports by owners must be taken with regard to where it comes from. Most owners are not skilled enough or have enough experience to be able to tel the difference let alone compare 2 different differentials. It's only going to matter at the extremes of the performance envelope where few dare to go. The other huge variable is the tires. To compare you must compare with as many variables controlled as possible. Lastly "better" is a relative term. Either will change the driving characteristics of the car, sometimes not for the better. There is always a trade-off. To improve one aspect another is degraded. IMHO the difference between the diffs is negligible and for most of us we wouldn't notice it. In fact, for most of us, it wouldn't matter if it had a torque sensing diff at all!
David Teitelbaum
I can't think of a single reason, besides cost, that I would not want a Torsen differential on even a street car... Help me out. What ill effects will come from it?

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine.gun.kelly View Post
If it was designed specifically for that car, then that's the way to go... Only one caution is, how do you know? There is a difference between knowing, being told and thinking...

Oh...And believing and wanting to believe...
Ok Squiggs...

One of us in this conversation has driven the Esprit with 3 different differentials (ZF clutch type LSD in the X180-R on street and track, Quaife ATB in my SE on street and track, and original open differential on street and track) back to back at the same time and place... And one of us hasn't

Some of us here have been in the Lotus community for at least 17 years, and have helped or tried to help others. While one of us apparently joined very recently with a cryptic introduction. I'm not giving advice, I'm giving an opinion with background. Take it or leave it. Believe it or not, your choice.

I was specifically asked in a conversation about replacing the differential in a Sport 300. The owner, informed me that his personal Sport 300 had an open differential, and was looking to install a Quaife to re-gain the LSD, which was missing (damaged or never installed)

Really doesn't matter, it's a moot argument, since the Lotus Compact Torque Biasing Differential is not available, except from a wrecked Sport 300.
Diverscale likes this.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Quote:
?

Do you know what was the problem? Was it ever fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in