Quickies. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quickies.

Two quick questions for Esprit owners:

1.) Is cruise control addition feasible for the Esprit SE? I THINK that I saw a post perhaps here or on another forum describing the mod - just can't remember where. Also, should it be based on tach, speedo, or use a vaccum speed reference? Audiovox unit OK?

2.) Gas odor in car. Mine seems to be coming from OUTSIDE the car, and is not apparent when the windows are up. Immediately upon putting the windows down - particularly the driver's side window, I can smell it. I have checked in the engine compartment for obvious leaks, worn hoses, etc... without finding any, at least so far.

Thanks for looking...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:52 PM

The gas odor could be the vent hose that runs along the rear bulkhead connecting the two gas tanks. That hose is known to deteriorate over time.
David Teitelbaum
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Moderator Extraordinaire!

+1 for the above comment on the vent hose and see my post here https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/c...0-years-24074/ for the cruise control. A cruise control can be added to the 4 cylinder Esprit, it just takes some time to hide the components and route and attach the wiring and vacuum hose.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 03:17 AM

Garage
The fuel system vent tubing was made from a surgical grade rubber which does not play well with gasoline. Go figure.
Over time the hoses/tubes dry out, crack and all the vapors that are supposed to go to the charcol cannister go elsewhere.
By now all the 4 cylinder Esprits vent tubing should be well rotted away.

There is also the possibility that one or both of the fuel tanks is leaking.
The tanks sit on top of what is basically carpet foam. The foam holds water and over time the tanks rust away.
It is a common malady for these cars. You only have to let them get wet once and the rust begins as the tanks were just spray painted with a thin layer of non rust inhibiting paint.

First check the tubing as it is the cheapest and by the easiest to replace.
Along with the tube that runs along the bulkkhead there is a bunch of tubing tucked away in the right side buttress. A real problem spot lies there where two different size tubes were stuck together to make a reduced size connection.
May have seemed like a good idea at the time, but it's the first place to rot away.
Tubing will run through the engine bay wall and down to the charcol cannister located near the lower right side of the engine. Round black plastic can, about the size of a 5 pound coffe can with three connection nozzles on top.

You can replace the tubing with the OEM stuff, but then buy two sets as you will have to replace it again if you plan on keeping the car for any length of time. Or, you can just stock up on good old American rubber fuel line hose and tig it up as needed. It won't be a perfect fit, (remember there is a whackey in-line size reduction which can be resolved with the addition of a proper in-line reducer), but it will last the life of the car and cost a bit less.

If the fuel tanks are your problem email me as it takes a lot more to fix that problem. I've done both tanks and it was not fun.

Al
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 PM

I've done cruise control in the Esprit and you can see the write-up here:

Esprit Cruise Control

Jim
1995 S4s
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response!

My mechanic will look at the gas odor issue this week. Saw the post dealing with it, too.

CC is in the works, too Dakota Digital looks like a good unit.

Aonther question (also posted in General Lotus Forum): Has anyone forund a source for the odd leather that was used in the Esprits? Believe that it was called Magnolia. Very light tan with a yellowish cast?

I would PREFER a CONUS source for this, if possible...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Interior Leather.

Going nuts here in California trying to find an American source of the odd colour of leather used in older Esprits (Magnolia, a creme coloured stuff with yellow accents). Lastest I have been rold is that there were about SIX different shades of the stuff used on the cars!

If anyone has found an American supplier please let me know - and I will post info re this issue if I find one for the group...

I need pretty much of an exact match, as I am planning to re-cover only certain parts of the car at this time - shift and parking brake gaiters and the center console piece - rest (as you can see) is in fairly good condition...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in