Radio - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Radio

I am thinking of replacing my factory Alpine unit with a more updated system. What I am trying not to do is cut the factory wiring harness. Has anyone done this yet? Or is there a adapter that someone knows of that will fit the harness?

2002 Lotus Esprit
25 Anniversary #50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:00 PM
Happy To Be Here

Garage
Iím not sure about how Alpine does their harness plugs, but I had some good luck with the Pioneer in my Evora. I was able to determine what color every wire should be (Lotus uses random colored wires) and I de-pinned the stock plug. Then I used all the pins and plugged them in one at a time in the new plug to an updated Pioneer head unit. With any luck, you might be able to do the same if you stick with Alpine. Aside from that, you probably will not find an adapter to work with the old harness and a new Alpine unit.

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:07 PM

Garage
i recently installed a double din with back up camera in my daughters old VW Jetta.

I worked with Crutchfield. They were great to deal with and supplied a custom harness that plugged into the car and into the new head unit. They also supplied an adapter face plate so the head unit snapped into the stock hole - looks factory, quick and easy.

My dealings made me think they could custom do about anything. I bet if you sent them a picture of the plug they would try to source it and build the adapter harness for you. Very service oriented.

Also pricing was ridiculously reasonable.

94 Esprit S4 - Silver
Previous - lots of hot rod Air Cooled 911s
[email protected]

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:33 PM

I just updated mine to a new Alpine unit.

and new speakers

I still might install the amp if I can find somewhere to put it.

The speakers were a bit of a PITA but not to bad. I didn't have to cut or splice. Just unplugged to stock and plug in the new. Sound was definitely improved and now I can stream audio to it. I couldn't find a way to install the mic for phone but screw it. I don't want to talk to anyone when I'm driving the Lotus anyhow.

My only regret is not installing the newest Alpine unit. Not sure if it would fit and definitely would black the AC vents.

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/a...-auto-ilx-f309
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:43 PM
Happy To Be Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik L View Post
i recently installed a double din with back up camera in my daughters old VW Jetta.

I worked with Crutchfield. They were great to deal with and supplied a custom harness that plugged into the car and into the new head unit. They also supplied an adapter face plate so the head unit snapped into the stock hole - looks factory, quick and easy.

My dealings made me think they could custom do about anything. I bet if you sent them a picture of the plug they would try to source it and build the adapter harness for you. Very service oriented.

Also pricing was ridiculously reasonable.
With regard to my Evora, I tried to go with Crutchfield as well. They informed me that they didnít have enough research done for my car model, so they couldnít help me. They werenít able to make a harness between an AVIC-X940BT and an AVIC-W8400NEX, where the X940BT was the stock unit. Pretty much, if the car came with an Ďaftermarketí radio as stock, they canít help with making a jumper harness.

That said, Crutchfield did help me with figuring out the pin out to the X940BT wire harness, which was exactly what I needed to figure out the wire colors where Lotus just used whatever haha. Of course, they may be able to help out more for older cars, so it canít hurt to ask what they know about your car.

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:55 PM
Dreaded Prior Owner

If your old radio is obsolete (or bricked, or you really, really don't want to cut your harness) you can pull it apart and remove the socket from the internal board, then use that to connect to your car's harness. Just solder your new units harness to the appropriate pins on the socket you removed to create an adapter. Maybe there's a cheap similar unit on eBay to scavenge a socket from if you want to preserve the old radio.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...LPINE+CDM+9821

Alternatively, with enough time, you could research Alpine forums or Digikey/Mouser catalogs to see if you can ID and source the matching female socket to match your car's harness. Look the plug over with a magnifier to see if you can find a trademark.

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
Chargecooled w/Megasquirt EFI

Last edited by snowrx; 08-14-2019 at 05:29 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:55 PM

To avoid chopping up your old radio, if Crutchfield can't make you a harness with plugs on both ends they could probably get a a plug with wires that will, at least. plug into your car's harness and you would have to figure out each wire and make up your own "adapter" to connect to a new radio. Not difficult, just do one wire at a time and do NOT just rely on matching up colors. Do not connect the grounds together, keep them separate, especially to the speakers and respect polarity to each speaker. Make very sure you have a really good ground from the radio to the car, separate from the V- wire.
David Teitelbaum
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:26 PM
Dreaded Prior Owner

If you can find a socket, it might be from Metra, maybe give them a call, they make the radio end so at least they'd know the style, and they offer wide asortment of harness end pigtails-

Metra Online | Metra Radio Harness Into Car

But aftermarket would be harder to find vs OEM, maybe you can ID another OEM user of the Alpine stuff?

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
Chargecooled w/Megasquirt EFI

Last edited by snowrx; 08-14-2019 at 08:32 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:55 AM

Ditto on going the Crutchfied route. When I was looking into replacing my factory radioÖ I had contacted them and they had a harness available. They were great to work with and very helpful, but at the end of the day I opted for going to a professional high end stereo store, since I decided to upgrade my entire speaker system as well.

I have used the Crutchfield wiring harness in the past with other vehicles and it was a plug and play with no issues.

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dominick Munofo
Lotus Ltd. Senior Advisor/Past President
1995 Norfolk Mustard Yellow Lotus Esprit S4s:

SS Cat Bypass Pipe, Micklewright Exhaust, Ram Air mod, 104 deg MOP Cam Wheel, HKS SSQV BOV, K&N Air Filter, Carbotech Race Brakes, SS Brake and Clutch Lines.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the help. Looks like I will try to contact Crutchfield.

2002 Lotus Esprit
25 Anniversary #50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in