Raid Steering wheel upgrade - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 10:03 AM

Just makes me more glad I chose an 89SE... No ABS, No Airbag! First bit of advice I received when I started looking for an Esprit.
mieczkow likes this.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 11:05 AM
Cal H

My view is that airbags are supplemental restraint as is in part of the SRS/SIR name. It is not meant to replace seat belts.

I agree the decelerometer/SIR controller are calibrated for the Esprit. But we are not talking about replacing the sensors or controller that may alter the conditions or events required to trigger the deploy current to activate the airbag. The bag will deploy. Because it is not a Lotus parts does not mean it will not work as expected.

As with the ABS controller. if I do not replace the controller and I replace the accumulator/pump/master assembly of the ABS and I will still expect it to work, even though it does not carry a Lotus part number.. I don't see the difference.

There is nothing special about firing the air bag squib a simple 9v battery can do it. There is no command or data going down stream on the 2 conductors other than raw voltage to heat the bridge wire to fire the squib which is like a small blasting cap which in turn fires the main charge. On the controller side all it has is a 2 ohm sensor to detect the bridge wire continuity that turns on airbag light in the event it is unhooked.

I'm deflecting? Well in an accident situation where there is deployment I will have documentation of deployment or documentation they have cut power to the SIR before service or transport and I'm taking a pretty good chance it probably won't go further than that. That they will not be able tell if it is OEM or not.

But with a totally missing airbag there will be a notation or trail of people involved at the scene. from medical, extraction, and clean up. If they do their job they check the scene and make notations for volatile fluid containment, car batteries, and airbags before proceeding with their job. The airbags check portion in not for safety compliance issues but just to secure against accidental discharge during the complete assistance process. But the notation will be there if anyone pulls the report, which is the 1st thing an insurance adjuster will do.

There are people here that have notified their insurance of airbag removal and they said OK. So I guess thats fine, unless another party claims exception and won't pay based on that.

With my previous Esprit, I ended up keeping the GM wheel on for years because of the limited options and opportunity.

We are all big boys so no whining after the fact.

We are both not going to change our minds, but thats ok because what each of us does not affect each other. Others will have to make up their own mind on this subject as we have presented both sides of the issue.

Cal H
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 12:37 PM

Arrow

You should see my post and pictures here. I had trouble at first getting the awesome raid steering wheel but have it all documented here to help others.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/2374905-post11.html

I will mention that the wheel's "girth" is a bit tricky to get used to.

But I think it makes the car look a million times better so to me it's totes magotes worth it.

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 08:42 AM
Cal H

Some do prefer the flat bottom wheel Gert provides.

Whatever wheel one gets it has never been about the Raid wheel verses Elise wheel or verses the non airbag wheel. For me it has always been about the wheel itself verses the insurance provider. They are in the business to limit their obligation and claim payouts. My obligation is to my family, to lessen the financial exposure in case of an accident situation where I might need medical services. Many of us feel that by using an alternate airbag wheel we stand a better chance of having our claims honored by our insurance carrier.

It is unknown if insurance will raise an exception to any alternate wheel. But I will not make it easier for them to deny a claim. In my opinion the extra few hundred for an airbag wheel is my hedge bet that if I have to file a claim for moderate to serious medical issues it stands a better chance of being honored if an airbag wheel is present.

This is not the 1st nor last time I will spend more in hopes for a better outcome should the circumstances or need arise for an unfortunate future event that may or may not take place.

Cal H
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:01 AM
Integrator

Garage
Hey, isn't it a good idea to start another Group Buy?
I'd love to have a flat bottom Raid wheel or....MOMO, or... whatever!

Vintage Pontiac wheel looks mostly incongruous in our cars.
Attached Images

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 03-25-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:26 AM

I have the Raid wheel as shown love it. If you need the contact info for the wheel and hub let me know. The company is called Carnewal out of Belgium.
I believe Lotus Garage had them at one time also.
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:23 AM
Integrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beinmymirror View Post
I have the Raid wheel as shown love it. If you need the contact info for the wheel and hub let me know. The company is called Carnewal out of Belgium.
I believe Lotus Garage had them at one time also.
That is a retail resaler, (MARK-UP IS USURIOUS!) I need a contact directly to the manufacturer.

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 03-25-2019 at 11:37 AM.
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:28 PM

Check out pistonheads. Com. They did a group buy in 2017 Titled. LAST CHANCE RAID AIRBAG WHEEL GROUP BUY, manufactured by Atiwe.
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:48 AM
Integrator

Garage
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:05 PM

Just found a post on the lotus forum posted in 2018 about a Raid steering wheel supplier in Finland. I've asked for the contact info.
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:04 PM

I heard back from the Finnish supplier about the Raid wheels. They have 2 types but not the one with the flat bottom on the wheel. Good looking thou.
Check it out.
http://www.kiiltovaunu.com/
post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:19 PM

Raid Steering wheel upgrade

Guys..... I was part of the original Raid steering wheel group buy over 15 years. In terms of the hub...Fellow S4s owner Jim Knowles out of Florida had the hub made for him by someone local. I don’t remember the cost... but it was reasonable.

I would say to try and seek him out for assistance. He organized the entire group buy.

The Raid wheel upgrade is by far one of the best mods I did to my car.

Dom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dominick Munofo
Lotus Ltd. Senior Advisor/Past President
1995 Norfolk Mustard Yellow Lotus Esprit S4s:

SS Cat Bypass Pipe, Micklewright Exhaust, Ram Air mod, 104 deg MOP Cam Wheel, HKS SSQV BOV, K&N Air Filter, Carbotech Race Brakes, SS Brake and Clutch Lines.

Last edited by yellow hornet; 05-03-2019 at 11:24 PM.
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:23 AM
Integrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beinmymirror View Post
I heard back from the Finnish supplier about the Raid wheels. They have 2 types but not the one with the flat bottom on the wheel. Good looking thou.
Check it out.
http://www.kiiltovaunu.com/
Must be that they have some NOS in their warehouse...

" not the one with the flat bottom" - could you explain?

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 05-05-2019 at 07:43 AM.
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:48 AM

Suggest asking them your question, I'm not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in