Removing Cigarette Lighter - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Removing Cigarette Lighter

My cigarette lighter in the V8 has decided to die. I need it to power my radar detector.
Plugging the detector in, shows it momentarily blink on and then nothing. So I'm guessing I'm getting power to the lighter and it's not a fuse. The detector works fine in my others cars.
I could not see the lighter listed on the fusebox chart, which one is it?
My lighter looks a little bit abused inside anyway, so I've ordered a replacement. Now I just need to know the 'how to' bit
Do I need to get behind the dash section, or simply pull the lighter forward and out?

Thanks in advance.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:31 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Are you sure that your detector's plug fits the Esprit's non-standard 'imperial' size? All my devices have issues with the Esprit sockets.

At one time, Valentine One RD's came with a slotted sleeve that shored up the socket and kept it straight. They don't supply them any more, though.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

My detector has worked fine since I bought it several months ago. Just decided to stop working in the Esprit yesterday.
As mentioned, the lights on the plug faintly flash on when inserted, so I'm guessing the lighter itself is not functioning correctly.
I really just need to know how to get it out

Thanks

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 03:59 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Lighter sockets are usually a bayonet-type fitting, meaning that you would just pull (or push, if you have the center backbone tunnel panel off).

Since you suspect a loose piece of wire, I'd locate the fuse and remove that before messing with the socket. (We don't want any of the SMOKE to escape.)

The V8 cigar lighter fuse is #7 on the driver's bulkhead fuse panel (in the Frunk), 15A. See Section ML, page 35. Top-center fuse.

When you remove the fuse, verify that the fuse's connections haven't loosened in the socket, causing a poor connection. (Common Lotus wiring issue, especially on relatively high-amperage circuits that can heat the wiring.)

The interior trim is pictured in the V8 parts list, sheet 14.05, pieces 8, 9, 10. You won't need to remove the shift knob for access.

If you need scans of those pages PM me.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R

Last edited by carbuff; 09-12-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in