Setting the clock - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By flopshotgolf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Analog clock in 1997 Esprit

(duplicate post, sorry) I donít have an ownerís guide, and internet searches only pertain to digital dash clocks. Can anyone tell me how to set the analog clock? There is not a typical knob for setting (unless mine is broken off?).

Thanks.

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-31-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Setting the clock

My 1997 has an analog clock in the dash. Without an Ownerís Guide I canít figure out how to set the time. Can anyone help with instructions?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Sorry about the glare on the clock face - the only visible sign of a potential control is the small button(?) at about 5:30. I canít find anything on the internet about setting this clock, but I have seen photos of other 1997 dash panels with the same clock and same button, so I donít think it is just the broken shaft of a twist knob.
Attached Images

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 07:33 AM

Can you disconnect battery till right time and reconnect?

2002 Lotus Esprit
25 Anniversary #50
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 12:14 PM

Have you tried pushing that button? I don't know about this clock but I've seen others like it where you push and hold the button until it advances to the correct time. Watch you don't go past it as it only goes one way and it will be a long way around again.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Solved. I had tried a quick push to see if it seemed to activate something (it didnít), the push and hold (also no luck). I tried these approaches with the car running and with the car off but the key in the ACC position. All to no avail.

It is always the last thing you try, though, isnít it? Pressing and holding the button with the key in the fully off position did it. Short push for one minute at a time, longer push for ďfast forward.Ē

Thanks for the suggestions.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Solved. I had tried a quick push to see if it seemed to activate something (it didnít), the push and hold (also no luck). I tried these approaches with the car running and with the car off but the key in the ACC position. All to no avail.

It is always the last thing you try, though, isnít it? Pressing and holding the button with the key in the fully off position did it. Short push for one minute at a time, longer push for ďfast forward.Ē

Just got my first Lotus, a 1997 Esprit V8. Also donít have an ownerís manual and was trying to figure this out. See the picture. Are you saying the hole in the plastic at the 4:30 position should be lined up with the little hole at 5:30 in the clock, and thereís should be a little push button going thru both holes? So this will be fun for me to try and set the time correctly.
Attached Images

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:51 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Are you saying the hole in the plastic at the 4:30 position should be lined up with the little hole at 5:30 in the clock
Looks that way, from the pictures above. (Post 3 seems to show the hole @ 5:30) Then push the teensie button inside, as noted a couple posts up.

@Sanj has binnacle top-cover removal instructions on his website, if you cannot just turn the glass face by rotating it with a suitable screwdriver inserted into the hole.

But, I just tried to supply the link, and got the message "Earthlink Personal Pages are being migrated". Got a working address, @Sanj ?

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:47 AM

Yep, just push the little button in and hold it. The clock will start moving and just stop when it's correct. I have a 'stiff' wire twist tie that I keep in the console just for this. Using a bread tie as a 'special tool ' is very 'Lotus' as it is almost to flimsy to work but just does.

And if the hole in the glass does not match up with the hole in the clock face you should be able to turn the glass to get it to align.

Funny thing, when I got my 1997 there was a blanking plate where the clock is supposed to be. Figured my car hadn't gotten some optional gauge or something. Anyway, I was working on some other 'non-working' Lotus bits once and had the unfortunate task of removing the binnacle. Once I got it apart, guess what I found rolling around inside? Yep, the clock!!!! Didn't ever think it was still functional, but it was. The PO tried to tighten the bracket to tight and pulled the clock from the bezel and instead of repairing it they just left inside and put a blank cover in the hole.

I put it all back together with a little superglue and mounted it back in. Once I figured out how to set the time it has been one of the things on the car that actually works!!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:56 PM

So this has been driving me crazy, because I still couldn't set the analog clock following the instructions above. I stumbled upon a critical piece of information you all left out. THE DOORS NEED TO BE CLOSED!!! If the driver door is open (did not test passenger door), you still can't set the clock even if the key in the correct position in the ignition. After you close the door, then it works like a charm.

My first post where I feel like I contributed something. lol.
carbuff, stugilmour and Seraph like this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:06 AM

That doesn't make sense. The clock is not wired into the door light circuit so how would it know if the door is open or closed? Probably more like the voltage of the battery was low and having the door open and the light on was enough to keep you from setting the clock.
David Teitelbaum
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:01 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
That doesn't make sense. The clock is not wired into the door light circuit
David Teitelbaum

Is it Full Moon over Hethel??? GRIN

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:29 PM

Fresh battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
That doesn't make sense. The clock is not wired into the door light circuit so how would it know if the door is open or closed? Probably more like the voltage of the battery was low and having the door open and the light on was enough to keep you from setting the clock.
David Teitelbaum
Brand new 5yr battery installed 2 weeks ago, so that's not it. But something associated to the door being open is definitely preventing clock adjustment.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:05 PM

Here's a silly question....Does the clock run with the doors open?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

It is always the last thing - since that worked, why would you keep trying stuff?

Mike

'83 Esprit Turbo (The Fabulous Trashwagon)
'87 Esprit Turbo (FrankEnSPRIT)
'90 St Tropez Turbo
'04 Boxster S
'05 CO Elise, LSS, Touring, Hardtop, among others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in