It's a bit different on the revised interior cars. This is from foggy memory, but should be more-or-less correct:
- Mask anything around your console that you don't want to beat up with tools.
- Remove the two phillips screws holding on the fuel release / touch key / brightness cover on the console
- Remove cover (slotted at one end)
- Remove the electrical guts and wiring from underneath (easy, self explanatory when you see it)
- Lift the cover that holds the leather shifter boot
- Once inside out, you can loosen the tie and remove it if you want
- Remove the screws holding the circular rubber noise isolation boot in place (this step is not strictly necessary, but it's easy, as I recall)
The next section is tight work, but it can be done:
- remove the 10 (?) bolts that are along the perimeter of the metal mounting plate. Some of these are close-quarters because they are near the console, but you can take them out patiently with an open-end wrench.
- After that metal closing plate is gone, you will see 4 nyloc nuts with noise isolators under them. Remove those and lift the shifter assembly out. It is not necessary to remove the two bolts holding the reverse lockout in place.
- After lifting the shifter out, the two remote shift cables will need to be removed before you can take it away to your work bench.