Sunroof S4s - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By yellow hornet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Sunroof S4s

I'm the 4th owner of my S4s. This one did not come with a sunroof.
Just asking is it worth my time and $$ purchasing a sunroof? I understand it's not a straight change going from the hard to glass top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinmymirror View Post
I'm the 4th owner of my S4s. This one did not come with a sunroof.
Just asking is it worth my time and $$ purchasing a sunroof? I understand it's not a straight change going from the hard to glass top.
It is a straight swap on your later model, all V8 roofs are a direct fit, your challenge is finding one as they rarely come up for sale and when they do itís north of $1200. The seals are also slightly thicker on the glass roof, but they are available aftermarket.

2001 V8 TT
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

When you speak with Steve at SJ Sportscars, he says it's a pretty big deal going from the composite panel to glass. He has all the parts and pieces along with the glass panel ($795) for sale.
I seem to remember when I had an 89 esprit it was really easy going from one to the other.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:16 AM

The sunroof makes the cabin feel a little bit larger but it makes it a lot warmer because of the greenhouse effect from the sun. You will need the thicker (taller) seal to stop the wind noise. You also need the bag to keep it in to keep it from getting scratched up. They come up from time to time for sale. Often from owners who have sold their car and want to squeeze a bit more money out of it.
David Teitelbaum
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:55 AM

You live in San Diego....so you won't regret a sun roof....at least that's the opinion of an owner with one in Florida.....not interested in finding a solid roof
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

I'll most likely think about this one. Being in sunny So Cal I'd probably not use it much.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:34 AM

Sunroof S4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
The sunroof makes the cabin feel a little bit larger but it makes it a lot warmer because of the greenhouse effect from the sun. You will need the thicker (taller) seal to stop the wind noise. You also need the bag to keep it in to keep it from getting scratched up. They come up from time to time for sale. Often from owners who have sold their car and want to squeeze a bit more money out of it.

David Teitelbaum

Replacing the seal is not mandatory. It really just depends on the condition of the OEM seal on your car. I have been running the glass roof with the OEM seal on my S4s for 15 years now and have no water issues or cabin noise.

Whenever not in use... I mostly leave the sunroof popped open or just donít clamp down the roof compressing the seal. Since you are the 4th owner... The likelihood of replacing the seal is probable if you go to the glass roof.

The glass roofs are a bit hard to come by... if you can acquire one... jump on it. I havenít used my painted roof since I switched over.

Also another bit of misconception is the glass roof allowing more heat in the cabin. Under normal conditions.... yes. BUT... if you bring the glass roof to your local tint shop and have him install ceramic tint with a high heat rejection, you will have zero issues. Various tint manufacturers make the ceramic tint in various tint levels, from dark limo tint all the way up to 90% clear. The other benefit of ceramic tint is that it allows for clear transmission of LTE, WiFi and Bluetooth devices.

Hope this helps.

Dominick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seraph likes this.

Dominick Munofo
Lotus Ltd. Senior Advisor/Past President
1995 Norfolk Mustard Yellow Lotus Esprit S4s:

SS Cat Bypass Pipe, Micklewright Exhaust, Ram Air mod, 104 deg MOP Cam Wheel, HKS SSQV BOV, K&N Air Filter, Carbotech Race Brakes, SS Brake and Clutch Lines.

Last edited by yellow hornet; 09-08-2019 at 08:46 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Most appreciative for your advice. As I said previously SJ Sportscars do have a glass sunroof. But will keep my eyes open for one here also.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:49 AM

Garage
I have one but 'life' being what it is, is still sitting unused in my spare bedroom since 2015 (!).
Since I have a 87 now, I verified the Stevens glass roof is not interchangeable for Giugiaro Esprit.

I tried to sell it locally (too many horror stories of broken glass roofs being shipped) and of course my $1500 asking price a bit steep.

When 'life' subsides a bit, I will be more serious about selling it at a more competitive price.
But shipping in breakage-proof container will add $$$ just for shipping alone.

I sold a composite top to Dave C in Florida - box was much less rigorous - arrived fine, but it was $60 to ship from CA to FLA.
Guessing a glass top with adequate padding/etc would be twice that.

And in sunny and hot San Jose, the glass top is fine - this one is dark-tinted (not the light-tinted ones you might run across).
Yes it does get hot to the touch, but that's why the car has AC. Your AC IS working, correct? :-)

Forgot to mention - I have the taller seal from SJS (never installed because I put foam on the glass itself to work with existing composite top).
The factory vinyl bag is also included.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:07 PM

Go ahead replace the seal along with the new glass top if you get it......if you get it. Repeat ....you live in San Diego.....maybe now you get it. Get 'er done!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinmymirror View Post
When you speak with Steve at SJ Sportscars, he says it's a pretty big deal going from the composite panel to glass. He has all the parts and pieces along with the glass panel ($795) for sale.
I seem to remember when I had an 89 esprit it was really easy going from one to the other.
Not sure why Steve would say that, unless he's referring to buying all the fittings (tongue, washers, bolts, catches, shims etc as well as the piece of glass) as its as simple as remove the composite and install the glass one, literally 30 seconds, i do it all the time.

2001 V8 TT
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:59 PM

Garage
Here's an older but relevant thread about Esprit glass roofs:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...eights-249481/

Attached are pictures of my Stevens glass roof. In order to 'simulate' a taller gasket, I got stick-on foam gasket and put on the glass top.

That allowed interchange with the composite whenever I felt like it.
I do have the SJS rubber 'taller' gasket - in hindsight, if it is installed, it would be tighter on the composite top.

That's because rumor has it that factory-installed glass top cars had the fiberglass body actually cut lower to fit the glass top.
Not sure if that makes sense, but that's what I heard.
Attached Images

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:48 AM

My V8 came with a glass roof and not a composite. Personally I have never used the glass roofs on the Esprits I've owned, therefore my first job was to source a composite panel. It took a couple of months to find one, have it painted and re-trimmed.
My glass roof now sits rather lonely in its bag in the barn. Horses for courses I guess! LOL
I also got a wind deflector with the composite, but I'm believe its for a G car, as it does not fit my V8 (what's the going rate for these, as I'd be happy to let it go?)
Anyone out there with a V8 wind deflector they want to sell?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I'm fairly interested. Pricing wise $1200 to $1300. I almost bought one on the internet earlier this week and almost got scammed. Thank goodness I had PayPal to get my money back.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieGuy View Post
My V8 came with a glass roof and not a composite. Personally I have never used the glass roofs on the Esprits I've owned, therefore my first job was to source a composite panel. It took a couple of months to find one, have it painted and re-trimmed.
My glass roof now sits rather lonely in its bag in the barn. Horses for courses I guess! LOL
I also got a wind deflector with the composite, but I'm believe its for a G car, as it does not fit my V8 (what's the going rate for these, as I'd be happy to let it go?)
I have a couple, what colour are you looking for?

2001 V8 TT
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieGuy View Post
[snip]
I have 2 Steven's deflectors (one from an 88 A23 Calypso Red excellent shape with only a few tiny touch ups and the other is unknown year Black with some scuffs).

I tested both interchangably on my 88 Stevens and definitely Stevens/V8 Esprit.

My current 87 Esprit is Giugiuaro and would like to trade straight across for your Giugiaro deflector (rather have extra Giugiaro than extra Stevens deflector. I would like to see a picture of it to confirm it. The Giugiaro deflector has a shorter height outer-edge that is shaped slightly differently. I have a photo somewhere - will post if I can find it.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'

Last edited by sleekgt; 09-11-2019 at 09:32 PM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:31 PM

Garage
Here's the deflectors - note the one on the right has a curved molding on right.
The one on the left has 90 degree angle.

Please confirm which one you have. LEFT - Giugiaro deflector. RIGHT - Stevens deflector
Attached Images

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'

Last edited by sleekgt; 09-15-2019 at 09:45 PM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:53 AM

Eddie, mine is the same as the one on the left.
Also has the velcro piece of material in the center.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in