6Likes
  • 1 Post By jtrealty
  • 1 Post By jtrealty
  • 1 Post By greenisGood
  • 3 Post By flopshotgolf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

V-8 Wiper Blade

The wiper blade on my car was old and leaving streaks so it was time for another. When I first got the car I tried to buy a "refill" (just the rubber blade). No one had it. It is an unusual size, 24 1/2". I had to buy a 26" and cut it. Fast forward to 2019. Now the stores no longer sell refills. Modern cars use "beam type" blades and you can't buy refills for them so no one stocks refills anymore. So what to do. A 21st century solution, I Googled it and found Trico 17-260 refills. Only $3.67 but $7.95 shipping. Still a lot cheaper than anything I could buy in a store and I can keep the OEM arm. Found it at Autoplicity but there are other sites too. Had to cut a bit off but that is easy. The harder part was threading the refill in. The refill was slightly thicker so I had to bend the fingers on the arm a little bit. If you can't remember the last time the wiper blade was changed or it is streaking or over 5 years old, time to replace it.
David Teitelbaum
carbuff likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:50 PM
Scott M

Ah yes... The first half of your story sounds exactly like my own experience when I first brought mine home a few years ago. Although I have no idea what solution I came-up with... haha

'03 Lotus Esprit
'17 Ford Focus RS
'13 Subaru BRZ
'11 BMW X5M
'06 BMW M Roadster
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:00 PM

I just remove the whole wiper arm, problem solved

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:02 PM

I thought it would be a good time to review this idea, since the wiper blade subject has come up. I've had it on the car for a while now. I don't make a habit of driving in the rain but stuff happens. When I was looking around Ebay I noticed they had wiper blades for 2000 Esprits that looked just like the ones on my daily. And they work awesome on it. They wouldn't fit my car,'88, but I thought maybe I could make them work. On 88 cars the pin is attached to the blade. On the 2000's the pin stays on the arm with the car. I bought them, cut the pin away from the old blade from my car with a Dremel and a pair of pliers popped it in the new blade and, voila! It works! And works far better than the old ones. Wipers work best when the blade stays perpendicular to the windscreen and let the rubber flex. With the old blades there were so many parts there was flex all over and the blades couldn't stay very perpendicular. A plus I hadn't considered was that there seems to be much less friction between the windscreen and the blade, a good thing. The Lotus manual says not to run wipers dry, ever. I had the dash apart to take out the wiring harness recently. Wow! I don't want to do that again soon, and the wiper motor and mechanism is even deeper than I was. I don't want to think about repairing any of the wiper mechanism. The pin is JUST long enough, no extra. I took some pliers and carefully closed the gap the pin goes thru carefully so I didn't scratch the paint and it's perfect, clicks in. The plastic clip on the blade secures it so it can't come out. The only downside is it looks a little chunkier and it looks like it's shorter but it's the same length. (Cut and paste below if you like. I have no involvement with this product)

Front Bracketless Windshield Wiper Blades for Lotus Esprit OEM Upgrade Kit pp
Works with Pin and J-Hook Arms + 1 Year Warranty
Attached Images

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

You have to be really careful doing that kind of mod. There is a lot of stress on that attachment back and forth and if not done very securely it will work itself apart even with a wet windscreen.
David Teitelbaum
Seraph likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
You have to be really careful doing that kind of mod. There is a lot of stress on that attachment back and forth and if not done very securely it will work itself apart even with a wet windscreen.
David Teitelbaum
I completely agree. And your DIY skill levels will be put to the test with every swipe of the wiper. The wiper is a safety item actually. It is good to be able to see where you are going! I guess there is a bit of risk taker in me. I did buy a Lotus with the intention of working on it myself after all!!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:33 PM

A couple years ago I bought a set of refills. NAPA 60 2498. Worked great. 23-3/4".
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:01 PM
S4s

Garage
I bought the entire blade from some place like Autozone about 3 years ago. While driving in a downpour last fall the entire plastic support broke off and the entire blade went flying off on the interstate in the mountains. Since I couldn't see (even with Rain-X) and had another 2 hour drive home, I dodged traffic to retrieve it since I needed something to swipe the rain away. With some Gorilla Tape, I put it back onto the arm and managed the rest of the way home.

I'm just got one from JAE a few days ago and I'll see how that one works.

Jim S.
1995 Esprit S4s
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 05:20 PM

I decided to replace what might have been the original blade in late 2011 with an ANCO (Federal Mogul) 31-26 (26" long) at a local Meijer store. Took the rubber blade and threw out the rest. OK, maybe I recycled the rest. It was a few years ago now...
Blade is a good fit to the OEM armature guides, though I did need to trim the length to ~24.75" (630mm) for correct length.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinmymirror View Post
A couple years ago I bought a set of refills. NAPA 60 2498. Worked great. 23-3/4".
I tried a NAPA store. They no longer sell refills. I did consider buying a whole wiper but it was $16 and I would have to throw away most of it to get the blade. I thought I could do better online.
David Teitelbaum
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:08 AM

I had trouble with this. The new style blades donít look right. I found this set to use the 24inch blade out of and has the little spoiler to. Itís just the right wiper for this car. But even Amazon says shipping 1-3 months now!! So this part must be getting harder to get to.

Bosch Twin Spoiler 3397118306 Original Equipment Replacement Wiper Blade - 24"/19" (Set of 2)

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:26 PM
S4s

Garage
I think mine might be broken or missing something. The wiper blade release latch does not stay latched. There isn't any tension to hold the latch in place. If I manually hold the latch in place, the pin stays locked in. So I think either the latch got bent, there is a missing spring or tensioner, maybe missing a washer?

What makes the latch stay in place to keep the wiper blade from falling off?
Attached Images

Jim S.
1995 Esprit S4s
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:19 PM

Looks like the tab in your last pic is just bent down too far. It should partially close the slot locking in the blade.
carbuff likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:36 PM

Looks the same as the X180 cars wiper, but they have it in the 80 to 87 cars section. Looks like plastic frame instead of metal, 24 inch. Hmmmm... Any body tried these? Looks like they would work. Closer to original look.

Lotus Valeo windscreen wiper blade and pin kit by PNM
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisGood View Post
Looks the same as the X180 cars wiper, but they have it in the 80 to 87 cars section. Looks like plastic frame instead of metal, 24 inch. Hmmmm... Any body tried these? Looks like they would work. Closer to original look.

Lotus Valeo windscreen wiper blade and pin kit by PNM
Darn it, just had a shipment sent from PNM to here in the States last week, and then decided to look for a wiper blade replacement. Argh...
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:15 PM

Still learning about LOTUS....so here's my likely naÔve take......over here on this side of the big pond we're SAE sizes.....but I'll bet the reason the size seems unusual [24 1/2 inches] is it's actually some metric length ??
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopshotgolf View Post
Darn it, just had a shipment sent from PNM to here in the States last week, and then decided to look for a wiper blade replacement. Argh...
Already had an order coming from JAE, and they have the correct wiper blade replacement so I had them add that to my order, for anyone else still looking for this part.
carbuff, Seraph and greenisGood like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in