V8 Overheating issue / Fan problem - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:24 AM

I had a similar issue where I had 'mystery' coolant loss. I couldn't really tell where it was going. I could see a bit of spray under the car on the rear passenger side, so I fashioned an overflow bottle for my overflow bottle (ziptied water bottle off overflow overflow). I then took it for a drive. I figured if it wasn't blowing out the overflow that would be a good clue. What I found was that it was indeed blowing out of the overflow and when I stopped to look at it I could see air bubbling up in the bottle. That was a sad sight as I had confirmed my fear......blown HGs!!!

Confirmed with compression tests and visual on the spark plugs. And that was that. Engine out full rebuild (which I am still finishing up).

I hope you find something less serious because a rebuild on this engine was big job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:25 AM

Another definitive test is to test the coolant for combustion gases. The tester is not expensive or you can go to a shop that has one, they should not charge much to do the test. I would do this test before committing to tearing the motor apart.
David Teitelbaum
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:40 PM
My car sneezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by countach5 View Post
I'm starting to get concerned here. I bought some leak dye in hopes to locate the area. Pumping the pressure to 20 pounds revealed 3 or 4 hoses that were either clearly leaking or seeping a bit. After tightening these up and topping off header and overflow tanks, I have been driving it on 20 to 25 minute outings each day. I make sure to drive enough to bring the engine up to full temperature for a bit. Once I come home and let the engine completely cool down (next morning), I seem to lose 8 or so ounces of coolant. I just can't accept that this will eventually stop after topping the system off a few more times. I've been through a fair amount of coolant. I firmly believe I'm losing coolant somehow. My fear now is a head gasket although I see no signs of it through the exhaust or seeping from perimeter of the heads.
Id suggest you perform an oil analysis. Id suspect liner sealant before head gaskets based on your description.

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp; mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq
'65 Karmann Ghia, '80 930, '89 928 S4, '92 Corrado, '02 Maserati Coupe, '06 Murcielago
www.fquick.com/gmendoza
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI...bwPaEI4JFbyCrA

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:29 AM

Coolant / combustion gas tester....I have one. Maybe we could get together and use it.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:57 AM

A liner seal leak would show up as the oil level rising and you would see foam in the oil. There would be a milky residue on the dipstick and the oil fill cap. Blown head gaskets AND bad liner seals are both possible and you should check for both before tearing the motor apart. That way you would know if you have to do liner seals or just head gaskets. Testing the coolant for combustion gases can confirm a blown head gasket but it can't confirm a bad liner seal. A definitive test for that would be an oil analysis. A positive combustion gas leak cannot tell you which head gasket on a V-8. You can tell that from "reading" the spark plugs and a compression test. Anyway if you do have a blown head gasket, good practice is to do both heads.
David Teitelbaum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in