V8 Tires - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

V8 Tires

Ok, i'm going to put my tin hat on right off the bat for this thread......

I'm considering some new tires for my V8. I have the OZ Nova wheels and currently have a set of Sumitomo's on all around. These came with the car and wouldn't really be my choice. They've been ok, but are the cheap option
Fronts 235/40 ZR17 90W
Rears 285/35 ZR18 97W

I've searched through the previous threads on this subject, some of which are almost 10 years old and probably contain out of date info.

I'd prefer to keep the same brand on front and back, but options are obviously limited. What are the parameters of size tire I can use on these wheels?
What are you guys wearing on your Esprit's these days?
Any advice would be greatly received.

Cheers

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:32 PM

Garage
The 235 40 17 is the killer - there is like 3 companies that make that size.

I think you can run a 245/40/R17 on the front of the v8s (95 and later cars). That adds a lot of options as its a pretty common size. But I dont know for sure on the bigger tire.

94 Esprit S4 - Silver
Previous - lots of hot rod Air Cooled 911s
[email protected]
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

The 245's fit without any rubbing?
Anyone here running with 245's?

Adam

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:25 PM

Adam,
Check out this recent thread.
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...-tires-162154/

I have the Michelin PSS with 245 fronts and have not had any issues with tire rubbing body/wheelwell/suspension parts. So far so good. They do seem to LOOK a little wider on the front OZ Novas, but I'm getting used to (or just over) it!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 06:34 AM

So I have OZ Futura on my 1997 V8 and just installed new tires last week. Went with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, 255/40-17 in front and 285/35-18 in rear. Discount Tires could not find a matching set of Michelin in the original staggered widths. While you can definitely see the width difference on the wheel itself using 255, what really "bothers" me is how much more it sticks out past the front fender (not at the top of the wheel well). Just that much more air hitting the wheel has got to increase wind noise, etc. So now I'm looking for a front splitter that will direct the air around the wheel well, something like this Challenger splitter.
Attached Images

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Do you have a photo of your V8 showing how your new tires look flopshot?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:38 PM

CookieGuy, I am in the same position as you. Went to British Invasion in Stowe, Vermont this weekend, 1/2 way up, blew the back left tire on my 04 Esprit. Had to flat bed it home 75 miles, very sad.... :-( I have the same Sumitomo's that you have, may I ask what it is you do not like about the Sumitomos and what you are trying to capture with a different manufacturer? Looking for some insight as I am going to replace all 4 tires.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Hi MMaine, the Sumitomo's came with the car and are a couple of years old. I haven't had any particular issues with them, but I'm trying to do my homework in readiness for a change out. I definitely want the same brand on all 4 corners.
The cost bothers me. I'm a big believer in you 'get what you pay for' and in that respect, the Sumi's are 'cheap'. How old were your tires when you had a blow out? What was the cause?

I think I'll end up going with the Michelin Super Sports and size up slightly on the fronts. They seem to have some good reviews.
Anyone here running their V8 on them want to chime in on how they ride?
Thans
Adam
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:14 AM

I have been looking into replacing my tires, they are Yoko's and they are old. Tire Rack has a set of Summi's that are the correct sizes and the price is good, $550.94 for all 4 plus shipping. What happened to your rear tire and how old are they? Were you checking tire pressures? Summi is one of the few remaining manufacturers still making tires that will fit our cars front and rear but if they aren't any good I will have to keep looking.
David Teitelbaum
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

Esprit 2004 Tires

I think I'll end up going with the Michelin Super Sports and size up slightly on the fronts. They seem to have some good reviews.
Anyone here running their V8 on them want to chime in on how they ride?
Thans
Adam[/quote]
Hello Adam and good evening.
I bought the car in 2018 and at that time, i believe the tires were 4-5 years old. I checked with 3 independent, reputable Lotus dealers, (Vancouver Lotus, RS Motorsports and recently, Lotus if Waltham, MA. All 3 independently inspected the tires and said the tread looked good and there were no signs if cracking or age releated wear on any of the tires. So i drove them for a year with no issues or pulling. The tire failure on the back rear left tire was not a puncture but looked like a split right down the right side of the wheel. I was only traveling about 50-60 mph when it happened and I felt it immediately and pulled over. Could have been lower than normal air pressure in the tire but I enjoyed my experience with them. I thought new tires would run me 1000-1200.00 dollars but like JT Realty, checked tire rack and his price is correct. While Sumitomo's may be cheap in price, I do not feel they are a cheap tire. I have driven my Esprit in dry weather, hot and very cold (welcome to Maine!!) and also got caught in an unexpected rain storm. No issues with handling, I have not been able to break the rear end loose and i like to take turns on 2 wheels. :-)
I prefer to have the same manufacturer on all 4 wheels and am receptive to recommendations as long as they are backed up by experience with the tire in question; that being said I will probably replace the tires with Sumitomo's unless I hear a compelling reason to go with another manufacturer.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info MMaine. I too have not had any issue with my Sumi's so far. They have been an ok tire.
However, if I'd had a rear tire split at 50mph for no apparent reason, I'd be extremely hesitant to purchase the same brand again.
Let me know hw the new Sumi's feel when you put them on. I'd be interested to hear a comparison between old and new ones.
Thanks
Adam
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 04:37 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieGuy View Post
if I'd had a rear tire split at 50mph for no apparent reason, I'd be extremely hesitant to purchase the same brand again.
In that case, you would not be able to buy ANY tires!

Probably, the issue was age. 2004 - 2019 = 15 year old rubber! Proves that you can't visually determine tire 'health'.

Just as a point of reference:

Name:  blowout_1_.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  83.6 KB

This is a picture of a 30-series 2 year old tire. (Michelin, in case you have difficulty reading the sidewall, LOL) It suddenly lost air on a highway (suspected road debris), and before the owner could navigate past the traffic to an off-ramp, THIS happened.

Point is, that low PSI (and increased flexing) can make rubber fail/give up catastrophically and rapidly, especially after years of age (and, untold heat cycles).

Hey, we change our timing belts on a TIME basis to prevent these failures. Tires can fail the same way.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in