WARM UP REGULATORS/CPR, BOOST+VAC SENSING MULTI-PORT FUEL ENRICHMENT ? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
WARM UP REGULATORS/CPR, BOOST+VAC SENSING MULTI-PORT FUEL ENRICHMENT ?

I'm wondering if anyone here tried to adapt a double base vacuum/ boost sensing CPRs/WURs on Esprit 4 cyl engine?
I found this note somewhere in the cyberspace, but no PN# was mentioned.

[...]
I am running a Volvo 240 turbo WUR. Both the Volvo and Audi 5000s use a WUR with 2 ports, one above the diaphragm and one below it. The lower port uses a check/delay valve that blocks boost and positive pressure change into the lower chamber. I've been wondering why they are plumbed like instead of a single vac/boost line above the diaphragm like the 930 uses.

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 02-14-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDANGERUS View Post
I'm wondering if anyone here tried to adapt a double base vacuum/ boost sensing CPRs/WURs on Esprit 4 cyl engine?
I found this note somewhere in the cyberspace, but no PN# was mentioned.

[...]
I am running a Volvo 240 turbo WUR. Both the Volvo and Audi 5000s use a WUR with 2 ports, one above the diaphragm and one below it. The lower port uses a check/delay valve that blocks boost and positive pressure change into the lower chamber. I've been wondering why they are plumbed like instead of a single vac/boost line above the diaphragm like the 930 uses.
In some applications they use the Control Pressure Regulator (aka Warm Up Regulator) to also give a fuel spike during quick acceleration kind of like the accelerator pump in a carburetor. Done with what looks like a check valve but it is really a delay valve which acts like a leaky check valve. You have to remember on cars with forced aspiration most of the time the plenum is under negative pressure. The controls like vacuum advance and the CPR use vacuum signals but also have to live with pressure. In such cases they also can operate on pressure differential. Bosch made the Jetronic system very adaptable so they could sell it to use on a lot of different cars. All of these parts are very application specific. In some cases you can adjust or adapt them to work in different applications but you need to know what you are doing. I suggest you get a book by Probst called Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management if you are going to hack Jetronic systems or parts.
David Teitelbaum
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
X180 UFO Capsule

David,
The CIS momentary enrichment is executed by the "UFO" capsule, and not the WUR.
This capsule looks like a small metal UFO with a vacuum line at the bottom and has a square electrical terminal at the top. Some Esprits have just an empty square two prong male plug and no sign of the capsule. This part does not show anywhere in Parts List, Lotus Notes or anywhere else. Most of the owners don't even know of its existence or purpose. However, on the sheet 7 section MG of 1988 Onwards Service Notes there is a "Differential Pressure Valve" connected between the earth and pin #11 of the ECU. Pin 11 of the ECU controls the fuel enrichment. The UFO capsule is a momentary Hobbs switch and its vacuum line connects to a tee plumbed into the black w/white stripe hose connected to the bottom of the square module (an over-boost sensor) located on top of the RH rear wheel arch, (right buttress). Black w/ white stripe vacuum line runs directly from the over boost cutout switch to the intake manifold at the back of the engine and on the downstream side of the throttle plates. So it's measuring true vacuum/boost at the input to the valve.
The two pins of the connector are shorted together for about 1.5 second each time there is a quick decrease in the vacuum level (100mB jump, i.e. the throttle plates are opened quickly). The device only works with a vacuum applied, no connection between the two pins occurs during gradual increase or decrease of boost. One pin of the connector is grounded and the other goes to the ECU. So each time the throttle is pressed quickly to increase speed a ground signal is sent to the ECU. It has been confirmed that the function of this device, in conjunction with the ECU, is to act as the K-Jetronic equivalent of an accelerator pump. When the ECU receives the ground signal from the UFO device it adjusts the frequency valve to DC=95% to provide extra fuel for acceleration (momentary action). It has been confirmed empirically, that this capsule dramatically improves throttle responsiveness.

To achieve continuous enrichment under boost, the Control Pressure has to be manipulated via continuous WUR adjustment in function of the rpm and MAP. It can not be done by grounding pin #11. However, it can be done either digitally, with an application of the UTCIS "PT" Digital WUR, or mechanically by applying the IM plenum pressure signal to one side of the diaphragm in the WUR lower chamber. Boost sensing WURs were used on 1980-s Volvo turbo, Audi TQ, MB, Saab, Porsche, BMW, etc., but (mysteriously) not on Lotus.
Attached Images

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:36 AM

In some applications they use the Control Pressure Regulator (aka Warm Up Regulator) to also give a fuel spike during quick acceleration kind of like the accelerator pump in a carburetor.

I didn't say that was how they did enrichment in the Lotus. Another way they did enrichment was to force the Lambda ECU to full enrichment either by using a WOT switch and grounding an input to the ECU or a pressure switch on the manifold when it senses pressure. There are a lot of ways to do the same thing.
David Teitelbaum
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 06:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
David,
[snip]
This capsule looks like a small metal UFO with a vacuum line at the bottom and has a square electrical terminal at the top. Some Esprits have just an empty square two prong male plug and no sign of the capsule. [snip]... capsule dramatically improves throttle responsiveness.
You mean like this one on my 88? My VIN is x62332:

Is this the black/white vacuum hose that I want to tap if I get a UFO (for better throttle response)?
There is a squarish thing behind the boost sending unit.
This is over the right arch - picture of my unused boost sending unit (have a mechanical VDO vacuum/boost gauge now):

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'

Last edited by sleekgt; 03-07-2014 at 07:10 AM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 10:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Eddie,

Yes, that's it! You have the connector but no capsule (first picture).
Thanks for the link to the Mercedes 380 SEC part, but it's listed as an 'A/C Solenoid'.

I believe this works in REVERSE? There's an 84 380 SEC at the local PickNPull (arrived today 3/10/2014) - I'll see if I can strip off the A/C Solenoid and test with my vacuum tester and DVM.

On my 06 Mustang, it had an A/C Solenoid that CUTS POWER to the A/C clutch on full throttle (maximizes acceleration by cutting out A/C compressor load temporarily).

So this Mercedes A/C Solenoid may be NC (Normally Closed) and only open briefly at 0 inches of vacuum (the opposite of what I need).

Does that assumption sound correct to you?

Here's the page 7 diagram of section for the Bosch CIS system:

Here's the black/white vacuum line to tap:

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:38 AM

Well shoot, I also have the plug-in, but no enrichment capsule....crap.

It makes sense that the esprit CIS system should have a momentary enrichment device of some kind for WOT acceleration. On other CIS systems I've seen WOT mechanical switches right at the throttle plate to signal enrichment at the WUR. This works too.

A vacuum sensitive switch/solenoid downstream of the throttle plate (such as the "UFO" enrichment capsule) can serve the same function...in fact, should do it better than a mechanical switch.

Anybody know where one of these cool little enrichment capsules can be had? Are there any part numbers on it? It must be a bosch device as it has the typical bosch electrical connector. Hhhmmmmm.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:55 AM

Here's a similar part.....Bosch part number 0280111004
Attached Images

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
Here's a similar part.....Bosch part number 0280111004
It appears to be sold at Summit Racing but I can't get any specs on what it does. It does not come up on the Bosch Automotive part - may be NOS:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bch-0280111004

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekgt View Post
It appears to be sold at Summit Racing but I can't get any specs on what it does. It does not come up on the Bosch Automotive part - may be NOS:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bch-0280111004
The part in my car is 0280111001.

I see that Summit sells this part ending in "1" and the part ending in "4"

Does anyone know the difference?
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremluf View Post
The part in my car is 0280111001.

I see that Summit sells this part ending in "1" and the part ending in "4"

Does anyone know the difference?
I don't know the operational difference, but the 01 part is for Esprit's built up to Feb 1986. The 04 part is for Mar 1986 to end of 86 only according to this link

BOSCH - L-Jetronic (To 2/86) - Part Number: 0280111004 - Dave's Discount Auto Parts | www.davesdiscountautoparts.com/

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekgt View Post
I don't know the operational difference, but the 01 part is for Esprit's built up to Feb 1986. The 04 part is for Mar 1986 to end of 86 only according to this link

BOSCH - L-Jetronic (To 2/86) - Part Number: 0280111004 - Dave's Discount Auto Parts | www.davesdiscountautoparts.com/
Mine is #977 and is an 87. I see in the history that it was changed. Now it's gonna bug me not knowing the difference
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 09:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremluf View Post
Mine is #977 and is an 87. I see in the history that it was changed. Now it's gonna bug me not knowing the difference
Yep - no information on line that I can find (Bosch site doesn't have any legacy info).

Guess I'll have to check out the Pick-n-Pull junk yards and see if I can find a Mercedes with the equivalent part and test them. Not easy for sure.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
0280111004 can be made to work. Just block the side port with a rubber cap and use only the bottom nipple.

0280111009 will work, too.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 10:35 PM

Garage
Thanks for the tip on the 0004. Going to put my order in after combining with some other items on Summit Racing page. Seems like a straight forward upgrade (and I already have the wire routing when I did my VDO vacuum/turbo gauge upgrade).

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 10:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Eddie, you got it! The "UFO" capsule is on the diagram, but not on the parts list.
I installed the UFO capsule (bought from MRDANGERUS) tonight - pretty easy to do - just tap into vacuum, plug into empty socket and done.

Truthfully, I thought it would be so subtle as to not be significant.

But it did make a noticeable difference. The off-boost throttle response without the UFO capsule was pretty soft. With the UFO capsule, when I stomp on the throttle and my vacuum/turbo gauge goes from 11 in/MG to 0 in/MG - their is a somewhat abrupt transition from soft response to a sharper feel.

Update took it out for some testing - on and off - clearly the throttle response is sharper; more noticeable under certain non-boost conditions. The most noticeable for me is 20 in of vacuum in 3rd gear and stomp on it; very sharp.

Pretty nice improvement for a few bucks and not much work ;-)

Thanks John!

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'

Last edited by sleekgt; 07-26-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in