What did you do for your Esprit today? - Page 36 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 379Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #701 of 716 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:22 PM

Well done Erik. Less causes for future problems. I've done the same to mine, when I bought it. Not that it had a problem, but I surely didn't want any in the future. I run a tubular exhaust manifold, a free flow sportscat and a free flowing cat back system. Cannot delete the cat, because of local Laws. But it flows much more free than the original one, because of the way it's made.

While you are in the engine compartment, you may think about deleting the mechanical chargecooler pump, as it's prone to disintegrating the Little Black impeller every few years. Not hard to renew, but I prefer to undo it as a Whole, plug the system, and install an Electric pump instead. All reversible and easy to do. If you haven't already doneit, it's surely worth doing before the new season I can supply a drawing of how to wire it in, if need be, and with no ill effects (no bad wireing).

Cheers,
Redfox
Erik L likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #702 of 716 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:43 PM

Garage
The mechanical pump delete is on my list. My impeller was changed a couple of years ago so its lower on the list for now.

BTW my post above indicates the FPR was connected to the vacuum pump, when I looked at it with fresh eyes I realized its connected to the HVAC.

In the future I am going to move the pump to the front trunk, seems crazy to run that plastic line all that way.
post #703 of 716 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:34 PM

As some of you know I completed a "refresher rebuild" of the engine on the '89 Esprit Turbo a couple of months ago as a consequence of having to repair a blown head gasket. I've been tied up for various reasons over the last few months with various stuff and have not had the chance to really take the car out and see how it would perform in a sustained run. Up until today I had less than 500 miles on the rebuild. And to some degree I have been babying the car to allow for everything to settle in and to make sure there were no "issues" related to engine performance. I had the chance to take it out today and run it at some speed for a few hours. And I have to say, I am unreasonably happy with how well the car performs. It was never a slouch but now it runs as I imagine it must have run as an absolutely new car. It was just one of those days were sitting at the wheel of this lovely Esprit was, well, an experience that brought me both a great deal of happiness and a real sense of satisfaction that only comes from investing your own work and energy in keeping these beautiful examples of automotive excellence running. What a stroke of luck that the Lotus marque became a part of my life and interests because today was one of those days were you just look at the car and think "wow"....

post #704 of 716 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 03:56 AM

Tom- hopefully I'll be saying the same thing soon. lol
post #705 of 716 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:01 PM
Dreaded Prior Owner

Made some little replacement knobs for my HVAC panel with the Harbor Freight lathe/mill.
Attached Images

shay2nak, carbuff, Erik L and 2 others like this.
post #706 of 716 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:53 PM
Dreaded Prior Owner

Powder coated the above and installed a new SJ HVAC panel to replace my cracked one.
Kudos to Lotusfab on TLF who enabled some cosmetic work for a change!
Attached Images

greenisGood likes this.
post #707 of 716 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:23 PM

Doin a little buffing and wax
Attached Images

Erik L likes this.
post #708 of 716 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:31 PM

Garage
New headliner!

The first major customization: a leather headliner to replace the rotted original foam-backed fabric. I went with black as there was no way I'd match the tan leather, and it goes quite nicely with the black instrument binnacle and the top of the dashboard.

The work was done by a leather shop in Syracuse that I've done business with before (he had never done a headliner, but he's very talented, and likes new challenges). I'm not sure of the forum rules about posting business names, but I'm happy to share if anyone would like the name of the shop. I have no affiliation, other than being a happy customer.

A bit difficult to see in the pics below ... should probably have taken the photos before reinstalling.
Attached Images

carbuff, Erik L, snowrx and 2 others like this.
post #709 of 716 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:18 PM

Garage
Put the car on a diet

This has been a work in progress for the past couple of weeks, but today I'm declaring victory: stripped all the '90s tech communications equipment plus an audio amplifier. I'd guess the total is around 10-12lb of e-waste and wires.
Attached Images

Erik L and Molez93 like this.
post #710 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:17 AM

Garage
I was able to find two used rear tires very cheaply in the correct size (275/40) for my new/used wheels so I mounted and put them on.

These rims are 11" wide it turns out so you could run a 315 or even a 335. The Hoosier R7 275/40s are huge compared to the street tire.

Definitely eliminates that "Tucked" look. I was amazed the wheels took almost no weight to balance.

Looking forward to getting some 235/40 for the front!
Attached Images

post #711 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:36 AM

I gave it a ride through the trioval at Daytona at about 110. Let's see if my 20th Century brain can figure out how to attach the pic of the car in the background someone took from pit lane
Attached Images

Erik L, DaveS4s and Seraph like this.
post #712 of 716 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:16 AM
Dreaded Prior Owner

Finally made the perches and got some 12" x 2.5"ID springs to install my SPAX dampers. SWAG for the springs was 150# front, 185# rear. Added some teflon washers above the lower perches to ease rotation.
Attached Images

Erik L and BritInNY like this.

Last edited by snowrx; 06-27-2019 at 08:36 PM.
post #713 of 716 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:10 AM

Garage
/\ How does it ride/handle?

I have heard a real sporty rate on the 1993-1997 cars is 250# front / 300# rear. That a lot stiffer. Is the geometry different on your car that makes a softer rate preferable? Or just going for a stock ride?
post #714 of 716 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:29 PM
Dreaded Prior Owner

Stock was 130# front, 157# rear so I've just stiffened it slightly. Early cars did have a different geometry, and I assume the later cars are somewhat stiffer chassis to handle the increased spring rates.
Not had a chance to really check the handling yet, I don't expect a lot of change unless my old dampers were really shot.
post #715 of 716 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:46 PM
My car sneezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
I gave it a ride through the trioval at Daytona at about 110. Let's see if my 20th Century brain can figure out how to attach the pic of the car in the background someone took from pit lane
Do you have a white 97?!?!? Do you have more pics?
post #716 of 716 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:59 PM

Garage
The stock power antenna was driving me nuts with the way the after market head unit was constantly running it up and down, plus it looked tired and heavy.

I purchased and installed a cheapy antenna from the local auto parts store and it had a standard type plug - I think its called a Motorola connector. I figured it would be easy to plug into the stock antennae - not so.

I looked at removing the stock antenna wire but its a major job to remove it from the interior so I looked at ordering an adapter.

I could not find anything that looked right using traditional search methods so I emailed some pictures to Crutchfield whom I have had good luck with before. I was shocked they could not help! They are a huge on line DIY car stereo site - sort of the Amazon of car stereo.

More searching and I found this place:

https://www.theantennasource.com/

I sent them the pics and after some research got back to me and said they had and adapter.

Adapter AA02 - ~$10.

I received it yesterday and installed it.

No more power antenna!

Great service from The Antenna Source - recommended!

As a bonus I think I saved about 2 lbs!

There is a pic of the antenna in post 710 above. There is a stubby replacement for about $6 that I am going to try also.

Blurry pics of the stock wire and the new antenna wire pre adapter.
Attached Images

Last edited by Erik L; 07-07-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in