What did you do for your Esprit today? - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 379Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 716 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delomike1049 View Post
Two days ago I replaced the steering rack boots and outer tie rod ends. Will be replacing the upper ball joints next week, as well as getting it aligned shortly thereafter.
When you get it aligned, post your results up here. I have yet to find a place that knows what they are doing with the Esprit suspension and setting the parameters properly. I even brought extra spacers and wedges for them last time and they just said they couldn't do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 716 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:19 PM

the car has a prettier face
post #83 of 716 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:10 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtB View Post
they just said they couldn't do it!
I never had that problem and I just went to the local Goodyear dealer.

I provided the specs I wanted the car set to, and a couple rear trailing arm shims (which I didn't need, still have them).

On Mike's '87, the only thing that they can adjust is toe, in the front.

In the rear, the only thing is the shims in the forward mounts of the rear trailing arms...a nut-and-bolt thing.

Those bolts only need to be loosened, the shims are like a two-pronged fork that fit around the through-bolt.

post #84 of 716 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
I never had that problem and I just went to the local Goodyear dealer.

I provided the specs I wanted the car set to, and a couple rear trailing arm shims (which I didn't need, still have them).

On Mike's '87, the only thing that they can adjust is toe, in the front.

In the rear, the only thing is the shims in the forward mounts of the rear trailing arms...a nut-and-bolt thing.

Those bolts only need to be loosened, the shims are like a two-pronged fork that fit around the through-bolt.
Atwell,
I know and knew how to adjust the shims and such. I just didn't have the lazer equipment to do the alignment. I found a shop and it turned out to be the only shop in town that has an alignment rack low enough for the old SE to drive onto, ended up just setting the toe as they told me they couldn't do the rest of the alignment. I wasn't aware of this until I had left the car there for several hours while I did some other errands. When I came by to collect the car, they informed me of the minimal work they did and of course charged me for a full alignment. I took the car and have yet to return to the place for so much as an oil change in any of the 7 cars we have. I, along with a fellow racer friend aligned the car manually with some plumb bobs and challk lines. We ended up doing it the old fashioned way!
post #85 of 716 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 03:18 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
I wasn't aware of this until I had left the car there for several hours while I did some other errands.
That's where you went astray. I "helicoptered" over the alignment rack while things were set up and adjusted.

Even then, the guys turning the wrenches came out to where the shop manager and I were talking and said "our alignment machine doesn't have the specs for a Lotus" I had 'em though.

I bet that was the first time they had to put in target measurements manually...
post #86 of 716 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
That's where you went astray. I "helicoptered" over the alignment rack while things were set up and adjusted.

Even then, the guys turning the wrenches came out to where the shop manager and I were talking and said "our alignment machine doesn't have the specs for a Lotus" I had 'em though.

I bet that was the first time they had to put in target measurements manually...
Haha! I rarely even let anyone do work on the tires of my cars. I usually take the wheels off and bring them the new tires and have them mounted and balanced and then bring them home and put them on.
post #87 of 716 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 03:41 PM
S4s

Garage
Yesterday, I replaced a few hidden gas lines near the fill tubes. Got rid of the last of these atrophied clear/white lines with rubber lines.

Not sure if it helped get rid of the gas smell since it was windy when did a test drive. But I noticed at low performance I didn't have any gas smell, but when I put the car through its paces, then I could smell strong gas. (Must be when I something that only occurs under higher pressure?)
Attached Images

post #88 of 716 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:01 PM

Jim,

Those hoses are not stock, replaced at some point in the past, but not ideal anyways, good that you replaced them. There are still a few other sources for the gas smell, one of those might be that your Bailey BOV is Tee'd into the pipe from the charcoal canister...

You should follow all the hoses on the diagram under the hatch and make sure the hose and check valve from the charcoal canister (under the coolant reservoir) are intact.

Also look at the o-rings around the fuel injectors (top and bottom).

The O-ring around the fuel pump flange on the right tank, and the cork gasket on the fuel level sender on the left tank.

Then of course the bottom of the fuel tanks for signs of rust.

And the fuel cross over pipe and 2 S-bend hoses under the engine.

I know you already tightened the hose clamps on the fuel filler hoses, but do check those for signs of rot.
post #89 of 716 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:42 PM
S4s

Garage
Thanks @Vulcan Grey . I've checked a few of those items, but I see there are a few more to add to my list.

Today my center wheel caps came in. Replaced the faded, cracked, yellow & green ones for some black & silver ones. Took 28 days to ship from Portugal to Colorado for the $25 ones off of Ebay.
Attached Images

post #90 of 716 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 06:05 PM

The black silver look good.
post #91 of 716 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 07:17 PM

Let's see them on the whole car, not just the rim! I bet they look much cleaner than the old faded yellow ones!
post #92 of 716 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 07:39 PM
S4s

Garage
Quote:
Let's see them on the whole car, not just the rim! I bet they look much cleaner than the old faded yellow ones!
I plan on replacing all of the badges on my red Esprit (currently up on jack stands). I have a black & silver badge for the rear, but I haven't found a nose badge that has the "LOTUS" in correct serif font. All of the ones I keep finding have the older style "LOTUS" in sans serif. I don't want to just get a foil sticker and call it good. I need to check at our next Lotus meeting to see if the Elise, Exige, or Evora have the same size nose badge, which might help to expand my search parameters.
post #93 of 716 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Fitness Regimen

Friday's rain washed the road salt away on Friday, so I got the Esprit out for only the second time this year!

I gave the car 90 minutes of Exercise. Left turns, right turns, acceleration, hard braking. Got my bod in and out without incident, too. No pain, no gain.

I also exercised the Hazard Switch (12 on-off cycles) to clean up the contacts. (Actually, I did 13 cycles, 13 is my lucky number. You cannot take any chances with an Esprit!)

The A/C worked too. I always use it at least once per drive no matter how cold to keep the compressor oil and refrigerant circulating (it was ~ 39 degrees F.) . This has noticeably reduced freon leakage.

In another couple weeks the garage should be warm enough to begin routine maintenance.

+++++++++++++

Hope I'm not making jtrealty feel bad. While we had sunny but cold weather, where he lives (40 miles away) it was snowing, according to the weatherman.
post #94 of 716 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:02 PM

went to swap out stock exhaust to muffler shop catless/mufflerless version that also came with my car. Broke every F#[email protected]#[email protected]% stud on the turbos. had a great weekend lol.
post #95 of 716 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:53 PM

Finally Installed the wheel and gear knob.

post #96 of 716 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 02:50 PM

Elise wheel looks great!

Tonight, I replaced the rear brake hoses on my 87 with stainless braided. I'll do the fronts, and change the brake fluid, tomorrow evening.
post #97 of 716 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 05:16 PM

Well this is what I did for my Esprit this week. My old shift boot had disintegrated and I've been looking for acceptable options that would match the interior. After a bushing rebuild (thanks JAE), the shifting was pretty crisp, so I experimented with some prototypes to make sure the sifting could work with a gate.

Removed the old lockout sleeve and integrated a longer spline in the gate to prevent accidental reverse selection. Everything seemed kosher, so I made the final piece out of 5mm aluminum that fits right in. Seems to be working great, with just a little steel on alloy click at each shift.

I'll probably replace the stock shaft with a stainless steel one and look for a more tasteful stainless ball to top it off. And if I still like it after a month or two, I'll have it anodized black to prevent the inevitable paint chipping.

Is shifting slower? Probably a bit until I get used to it, but I shift pretty daintily anyway.

Attached Images

post #98 of 716 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 05:27 AM

Hey that looks really cool!
post #99 of 716 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Spence,

Did you fab those climate control knobs yourself? NICE!
post #100 of 716 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Spence,

Did you fab those climate control knobs yourself? NICE!
I got them from PNM Engineering to replace the cracked plastic ones.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in