What did you do for your Esprit today? - Page 9 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 379Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 06:51 PM

Noob, sorry to hear man! But as you said, this offers an opportunity! I like the way you think! Good luck and post the progress as it goes!
Artie

2006 Onyx Black Aston Martin Vantage
1999 Azure Blue Lotus Esprit V8TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-spree View Post
Noob, sorry to hear this but I know you won't cut corners on the rebuild. Good luck. Keep the updates coming. Ken
Thanks brotha it's all good, I was lucky to have not had to do it sooner.

2018 AMG C43 flashed 460hp (wifey)
2017 Shelby GT350
2009 Vantage
2003 996TT X50 Upgrades 1.2 Bar
2001 Esprit V8
1994 FD
2017 F150 Eco boost (Daily)
post #163 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtB View Post
Noob, sorry to hear man! But as you said, this offers an opportunity! I like the way you think! Good luck and post the progress as it goes!
Artie
Thanks Art, this will cut in to my FD fund.

2017 Shelby GT350
2009 Vantage
2001 Esprit V8
1994 FD

post #164 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 06:17 PM

Since no one has said anything, I have to ask, Noob...is a full rebuild really necessary?

I realize that mileage is on the high side, but even then, I've seen Esprits with far more than that going strong. If the bottom end is solid and the rings are good, I can't help but wonder if all you really need is a good valve job/head work.

Curious as to what your mechanic has to say...has he pulled the head yet?

To remain pertinent to the original thread, I will say that perhaps "What did you do for your Esprit?" could mean valve job instead of full rebuild.

That would leave more money for your FD, whatever that may be. Third gen RX-7 or Fixed Deposits...Ferrari Dreams? LOL

Roy
post #165 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 08:01 PM

Roy,
FD3S is the Mazda internal designation for the third gen rx7. The second gen rx7 was callled the FC3S and the first gen was the FB. You get the idea!
post #166 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo R View Post
Since no one has said anything, I have to ask, Noob...is a full rebuild really necessary?

I realize that mileage is on the high side, but even then, I've seen Esprits with far more than that going strong. If the bottom end is solid and the rings are good, I can't help but wonder if all you really need is a good valve job/head work.

Curious as to what your mechanic has to say...has he pulled the head yet?

To remain pertinent to the original thread, I will say that perhaps "What did you do for your Esprit?" could mean valve job instead of full rebuild.

That would leave more money for your FD, whatever that may be. Third gen RX-7 or Fixed Deposits...Ferrari Dreams? LOL

Roy
Hi Roy,

I've decided to go with a full rebuild with forged pistons etc. But thanks for the heads up Pal. I am planning on keeping my Esprit for many years to come. I am not one to keep cars for long, even had a hair up my butt to sell this one and pick up a V8 at one point but many of you guys have convinced me to keep what I have.

This is going to be a beast!

2017 Shelby GT350
2009 Vantage
2001 Esprit V8
1994 FD
post #167 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Roy,
FD3S is the Mazda internal designation for the third gen rx7. The second gen rx7 was callled the FC3S and the first gen was the FB. You get the idea!

2017 Shelby GT350
2009 Vantage
2001 Esprit V8
1994 FD
post #168 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 10:02 AM

Thanks Art!

Quote:
Roy,
post #169 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 10:03 AM

That sounds fantastic, Noob!!!
Definitely exciting...really looking forward to your updates now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspritNOOB View Post
Hi Roy,

I've decided to go with a full rebuild with forged pistons etc. But thanks for the heads up Pal. I am planning on keeping my Esprit for many years to come. I am not one to keep cars for long, even had a hair up my butt to sell this one and pick up a V8 at one point but many of you guys have convinced me to keep what I have.

This is going to be a beast!
post #170 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 01:45 PM

HI all,

Been doing a big job on the Esprit, by taking off all 5 coolers plus a lot more to get there. Renewed oil coolers, Water cooler, plus all foam, fasteners etc. All brackets either resurfaced or powdercoated.
Cheers,
Redfox.
Attached Images

Last edited by redfox; 05-25-2015 at 02:00 PM.
post #171 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 04:13 PM

Looks great! @redfox

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #172 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 05:59 PM

I installed new bearings, races, and grease seals on my front hubs.

I kinda have to do this more often with these new huge brakes...

Glad I have a press now, made the races much easier.

I had to put a new wheel upright on the left side due to a spun bearing. I also replaced all of the front suspension bushings, ball joints, and upgraded the front lower wishbone pivot bushings to the later V8 conical type.

I had to make some bronze inserts for the conical bushings.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #173 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 06:04 PM

So nice, Redfox!!!

If I might make a humble suggestion...traditionally, when my friends have added V8 wheels to their SE, it tends to raise the front up a bit due to the larger overall diameter. When you do the front spare tire delete, it further exacerbates the 4 x 4 visuals.

Your car is already gorgeous, but I think it would look even more breathtaking if you look into some adjustable coilovers and bring the front down a touch.

Anyway, just my two cents...a compliment and suggestion, not a critique!
post #174 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 11:17 PM

Thanks Guys.

Yes, it's surely a 4 x 4... Don't worry, critique is most wellcome, be it negative or positive.
It needs to get out a bit, but weather was bad, and I had to do other things as well. Should settle suspension after having lifted the car.
But next job is the sportscat I have ready on the shelf. Next is redo the whole front radiator pack all over again, as I am in the Group buy over at the Lotus Forum. Should save some further weight.
But I think I'll put it on the shel for a while, as this new ones I just did cools very well, and the lighter pack (which adds fans on the oil coolers as well), makes the car jump even higher in the air.
So, next is redo/change all of the suspension related components.
But I am at a loss of what to chose. I will not buy the Lotus suspension pack, as it raises the car even more, and I want something adjustable. So Íhlins is on my mind. We'll see.
As it is now, it looks kind of silly Good thing is, that the car is so low, that you only notice it from a distance

Kind regards,
Redfox.

MMMmmm... Big Brembo Brakes...
post #175 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 03:55 AM

Fan Shroud

Started my fan upgrade project this week. New shroud in process from fiberglass. Mold courtesy of Jim Knowles. When completed the shroud will have three 11" Spal low profile fans. More pictures to follow ......
Attached Images

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Esprit Turbo
post #176 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 08:03 AM

Garage
People are always telling me that the Esprit looks like it's doing 60 mph even when it's standing still and I think I got proof of that the other week.

I needed some gas for my lawn mower and pressure washer so I grabbed a can, got into the Esprit to make the 10 minute drive to my local gas station. On the way there I noticed a motor cycle cop on the other side of the road (two lanes each way with a center turning lane with a 45 mph speed limit). He was shooting radar/laser at traffic coming the other way so after I got the gas and headed home I was very careful to stay in the right lane and had the speedo set right on 40 mph just to be on the safe side. As I approached him, one of those huge cement trucks was in the left lane passing me doing about 50 mph; he raised his radar gun and pointed it right at me, not the truck! My radar detector lit up of course so I just gave him a pleasant wave and kept going. Most definitely vehicle discrimination.

David.

2015 Dodge Charger R/T Premium (Daily Driver)
2001 Lotus Esprit V8 (Weekend Driver)
2011 Dodge Charger Rallye (Sold)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife's car but great for golf trips and hauling stuff)
2001 Superformance S1 (Sold)
1968 Mini Cooper (Sold)
post #177 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Job 1: Today I went to hang the engine cover by the fabric straps on the hatch...and one of the shoelaces broke!

Luckily, I had an extra black shoelace. The other side had broken 20 years ago, so I saved that extra shoelace for JUST this emergency. Both sides finally match!

++++++++

Job 2: The gas cap cover flap was rattly. Used a Home Depot cabinet bumper to tighten it up.

++++++++

Job 3: Side windows moving slow. Cleaned out the glass tracks with alcohol, and re-lubricated with dry Teflon lubricant. The windows work like a real car's again.

+++++++

Job 4: Celebrated by washing the Esprit.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #178 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 05:17 PM

Garage
Real cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Job 1: Today I went to hang the engine cover by the fabric straps on the hatch...and one of the shoelaces broke!

Luckily, I had an extra black shoelace. The other side had broken 20 years ago, so I saved that extra shoelace for JUST this emergency. Both sides finally match!

++++++++

Job 2: The gas cap cover flap was rattly. Used a Home Depot cabinet bumper to tighten it up.

++++++++

Job 3: Side windows moving slow. Cleaned out the glass tracks with alcohol, and re-lubricated with dry Teflon lubricant. The windows work like a real car's again.

+++++++

Job 4: Celebrated by washing the Esprit.
Carbuf,

I think I know what you mean by a 'real car'. I've gotten used to helping my window motors by pulling while the button depressed. I might have to give it a go with a little cleaning and dry PTFE lube.

-Rich in Carlsbad
1990 Lotus Esprit SE

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
post #179 of 716 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 04:08 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceVentura View Post
I've gotten used to helping my window motors by pulling while the button depressed. I might have to give it a go with a little cleaning and dry PTFE lube.
I used cotton swabs soaked in rubbing alcohol to clean inside the tracks. Kept swabbing with new swabs until they came out fairly clean.

Also dripped some alcohol into the tracks to "flush" the tracks "below the horizon".

The dry PTFE is best 'cause it doesn't attract dirt once it dries (as Silicon Sprays do).

Of course, the ultimate fix for slow windows is to install relays in the circuit, because eventually the switches build up resistance and don't supply full voltage to the window motors. There are circuit diagrams and procedures in various Internet places to do this mod. I've never had to do it, though.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #180 of 716 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 05:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox View Post
HI all,

Been doing a big job on the Esprit, by taking off all 5 coolers plus a lot more to get there. Renewed oil coolers, Water cooler, plus all foam, fasteners etc. All brackets either resurfaced or powdercoated.
Cheers,
Redfox.
Wow..uber clean..looks as new.

Nice Machina.

very.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in