What's a fair market value for 2000/01 and 2002/03 Esprit? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

What's a fair market value for 2000/01 and 2002/03 Esprit?

If this has been asked before, then I didn't do a good job searching it and I will apologize in advance. With that said, what would be the fair market value for a clean, less than 20,000 miles 2000/01 and 2002/03 Esprit?

I'm in the market and have seen a wide range in the asking price - just trying to educate myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 03:34 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Market value will vary depending on condition and mostly, IF THERE ARE SERVICE RECORDS.

Even at 20K miles, there are maintenance items that need to be done on a TIME basis...cam belts being the most important. That can easily eat up the different cost between a low $$ and high $$ example.

Best to ask around (here or on the Yahoo TurboEsprit mail-list) to see if the car you are interested in is "known". Depending on the location, a present owner could pre-inspect the car or recommend a shop that is familiar with Lotus.

In a few minutes you will have a PM with more details.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 06:33 AM

I would say a fair value for an unmolested 99-02 Esprit around $35,000 w/ that mileage. I've had mine about a year and 'have been delighted with the "wow" factor and reliability. If you like to rev the engine and leave large strips of rubber the Esprit is not your car - it'll do it but I'm not sure how long. If you treat it with respect it will certainly reward you. It's much like owning a Ferrari but it only costs 1/2 as much. Mine has been an absolute delight but I'm glad I bought it at 57 instead of 18 because I was quite a terror back then.

Last edited by billt; 02-20-2010 at 06:51 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

anything updated from 99 to 01 models? i.e. electronics, engine ECU, brakes, suspension, etc?

Also when is the service schedule for timing belts? i.e. on a Ferrari (360 and earlier) it's either 15,000 miles or 3 years which ever comes first.

Last edited by pchop; 02-20-2010 at 12:09 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchop View Post
anything updated from 99 to 01 models? i.e. electronics, engine ECU, brakes, suspension, etc?

Also when is the service schedule for timing belts? i.e. on a Ferrari (360 and earlier) it's either 15,000 miles or 3 years which ever comes first.
The firmware on the ECU was updated for each year. Suspension was changed on the Final Edition cars (2003.5 - 2004)

It's worth it to see if the Lotus Hi-Torque reflash was done.

I think the 99 had Brembo brakes, the later AP Racing brakes were better, but then you can't use the spare tire...

Timing belts need to be tensioned every 12.5K miles...replaced every 25K
Ignore this service at your own peril.

For a list of what changed, look to Lotus Esprit World:

Esprit Models

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 02:19 PM

The price is going to be very dependant on condition and service history (or lack thereof). The year of the car won't affect the price so much as the mileage and the service history. Little to minor differences among the '00-'03 cars. Getting a Lotus that is "sorted out", meaning having all problems including minor stuff fixed and working can mean a lot. Most used cars have all kinds of niggling little things like burnt out bulbs, things that don't fit right, squeaks, leaks, etc. IMHO a really nice, well taken care of '00-03 with a complete history with all service up to date, fresh tires, brakes, battery, all of the bits included (sunroof, solid roof, all keys, tool kit, etc) can be worth around $45K. Location can matter too. It costs to bring a car across the country so if you do find one that is not nearby but seems cheap figure including shipping costs.
David Teitelbaum
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:41 PM

As others have said, milage and service history will affect the selling price. I have seen these as low as $29,000 - a 1997 at a car dealer's lot - to as high as $55,000 for a 2002 which looked like a good car from a private party.

I test drove a 2002 when new and the sticker price was $93,000, as I recall.

I didn't buy it, in part because the price was too high, and because as I have said in other posts here, I prefer the later I4's, but probably could have gotten it for mid-80's - it had been on the dealer's floor for almost a YEAR. It was the very bright yellow color, which I don't think was their most popular color by a long shot. I didn't much care for the color myself either.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:46 AM

My 2003 is still for sale in Los Angeles. PM me if interested.

I take my pre-owned toys I buy straight to my mechanic after purchase. I don't trust paperwork and or other people's driving ability. I don't care how many invoices and service records come with the car, if the last owner did not respect his/her machine, the car may look great, but could be very tired. The only way to know is to take it to your trusted Esprit mechanic, OR, buy a new one.

And by trusted mechanic, I did not mean Lotus dealer. (On the west coast, Harry of Viking Motorsports is top notch when it comes to working on Esprits.)

I ask my mechanic to do whatever it takes so I have peace of mind that it's not going to grenade during the next outing. I recommend you find yourself a good mechanic and just stick to taking the Esprit in minimum once a year for check up. I have the belts checked and tensioned on a yearly basis or every 6000 miles.

Owning an Esprit is like a marriage. You gotta be respectful and spend money, otherwise it's going to bite you in the hind end.

I have ADD: Automotive Diversity Disorder:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in