Wheel Help - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Wheel Help

I am probably going to change the wheels on my 98 TTV8 Esprit to one of the HRE wheels and potentially go to 18" fronts and 19" rears. I have seen past pictures on this thread that have this configuration with HRE wheels and I was wondering if anyone knew what the proper offsets would be if you changed the wheel size from factory 17" fronts and 18" rears to the sizes mentioned above? I only drive my car on the streets and have never taken it to the track so I am hoping for a little better street ride and performance. The reason for the change is that when I bought the car it has some "off the shelf" wheels and I do not have the original wheels to change back to. Also, the 17" tire selection is becoming increasingly limited and there are still multiple options in the 18" and 19" sizes without getting into the low profile tires. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:01 AM

There is not much clearance in the wheel wells for much alteration. Before you spend a lot of money on anything be very sure it will fit! Once you buy this stuff and it hits the body or suspension you can't generally take it back and get your money back! Fit and clearance has to be checked at all extremes of travel. You will have to recalibrate the speedometer too. Chnaging tire size can also possibly cause "issues" with the ABS. The least expensive and most compatible option would be to try to live with the recomended tire sizes. Change the tires if you have to and if you must buy rims stay with the standard sizes. It will get harder to get tire sets but in the near term you still can.
David Teitelbaum
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 10:34 AM
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red

I've seen some Esprits with either HRE 18 & 19's or HRE 17 & 18's. So HRE should have correct offset numbers. Ask them to check with previous sales history.

As for tire sizes, I don't think it's that difficult to find the matching tire sizes. I found many brands that has 235 40 17 tires. It's actually harder for me to get the rear sizes (285 35 18). However, you can go with 295's because Lotus put 295 Pirelli's on the Sport 350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in