X180 IMPROVEMENTS - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 493 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 10:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDANGERUS View Post
Could you share with us the thought behind a forward facing camera installation?
After having several close calls (in both the Esprit and my other cars) of near collisions, I've decided having video proof goes a long way for resolution.

After having 2 rear end collisions (Feb and May) where someone hit my Ford Focus (the 2nd was disputed on fault - I had to go to Small Claims to resolve in my favor), I will be putting a rear camera as well.

The unique issue (at least for me) is that driving an Esprit daily doesn't lend itself to leaving a visibly installed video camera (suction cup mount). If my Ford Focus has a camera that is 'smash and grabbed', the repair of the broken window, etc is minor. But on the Esprit, any break in is more involved.

A front license plate camera may be too low; that's why I'm trying to position a 170 degree camera up high on the top of the car.

A rear license plate camera (unfortunately) may be my only Esprit solution; I'm concerned about someone damaging the car while stealing the rear camera; again, same concern about about repairing damage.
---

Ironically after 24 hours of posting this, I almost got hit by a SUV (turning right into my lane) AND 10 minutes later, a sedan ran a stop sign and almost grazed me. :-(

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'

Last edited by sleekgt; 09-02-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 493 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
post #43 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Engine compartment temps remediation.

High engine compartment temperatures have always been a problem on mid-engine vehicles.
Esprit design is not particularly forgiving when it comes to ventilation and heat management.
There are a couple of ways to improve this condition. Anything which confines the heat (as a turbo blanket or Dei-wrap) or increases ambient air flow through the engine bay would be of a great benefit.
Apparently, at some point in time there was an attempt to deal with this problem.
On many cars the belly pan has two large cut outs, which appear to be a quick fix (afterthought), lacking aerodynamic effectiveness.
There is an uncomplicated way to make it all work. All what we need is a scoop to revert the low pressure gradient in the belly pan holes.

Let's see...
Perhaps, some louvered panels could work?
Yep, need some cooling on the right, too. That's the 5"x5" square hole is for.

Now, some paint to seal off the fiberglass, which, if exposed to water, may swell and blister.
Well, it was like painting Cleenex! Coat after coat after coat (2 cans). Finally, applied Rust-Oleum Enamel at the bottom side and all edges, holes, cut outs (slow dry).
This afternoon, I dropped off the louvered bits at the powder coater.
Attached Images

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 09-03-2014 at 06:46 PM.

post #44 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 10:09 PM

Garage
I thought the side rocker panel scoops fed air into the area near the belly pan openings?

If you put the louvers over those openings, it might be better flow directly underneath at freeway speed.

But at commuter crawling speeds like I do, the louvers may impede some convection (?) flow to the top. Would be worth doing a temperature BEFORE/AFTER test after the mod.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #45 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Eddie,

The good thing is that you can bake some cookies on the way home! LOL-I could't resist.

Your predicament is pretty serious but not that difficult to solve.
Two elements are critical here:

-heat containment
Add turbo blankets over the turbo AND the adapter flange
Use miles of the Titanium wrap tape on all exhaust pipes and waste-gate bypass.
Any wrap on the exhaust headers wont last very long (unless you can get some ole good asbestos tape).

-air circulation trough the engine compartment
(need for forced air convection)
For the beginners, I would remove the beauty louvers from the engine cover. They are useless and weigh a ton.
Next, start adding blowers (marine in-line bilge blowers are reliable and inexpensive)
and
add deck fans to pull out the bad air (3xSPAL VA67-A101-83A 12V, PN#30103084)
and
hook all of that to the thermostatic controller.

Hmm.. no mo cookies.
Attached Images

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 09-21-2014 at 06:21 AM.
post #46 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Eddie,

The good thing is that you can bake some cookies on the way home! LOL-I could't resist.
Don't laugh, there are actual cookbooks explaining how to cook stuff in the heat of the engine bay.

Best Practice is to use Extra Virgin Motor Oil....less calories, more wholesome. Made from Free-Range Dinosaurs.

Seriously, we used to warm up KFC Chicken on the engine when we were racing in the '80s. It sure beat the Track Food!
AceVentura likes this.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #47 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
post #48 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Cabin air evacuation.

When we are on the topic of air circulation, I'd like to submit to your attention a cabin ventilation deficiency.
On very humid rainy days my windows fog up excessively. Air flow improvement is required. I found these 5CFM little giants on ebay.
They are EXACTLY 40mm OD and they fit into the holes in the door inner upper shell as well as in the one at the rear of the door. Connect them to the splice at the cigarette lighters, which energise with the ignition in ON position.
P.S. I covered large holes in the door bottom to to block the acoustical path to the interior and drilled a much smaller hole at the low point (rear corner), for drainage.
Attached Images

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 09-04-2014 at 06:22 PM.
post #49 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 10:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Eddie,
[snip]
Add turbo blankets over the turbo AND the adapter flange
[snip]
-air circulation trough the engine compartment
(need for forced air convection)
For the beginners, I would remove the beauty louvers from the engine cover. They are useless and weigh a ton.
Next, start adding blowers (marine in-line bilge blowers are reliable and inexpensive)
and
add deck fans to pull out the bad air
RE: Turbo blanket - I understand the concept of using a blanket to shield the engine compartment. But isn't using a Turbo blanket likely to increase possibility of coking the turbo bearing (88 Esprit is not water-cooled bearing like 89 and beyond)?

RE: beauty louvers vs. deck fans and marine in-line bilge blowers

The deck fans seem like they restrict the overall opening (3 circular openings to redirect all hot air with fans; blowers' motor/fan assembly obstruct the side window intake).

When the fans are ON, it probably flows more air than beauty louvers natural convection (superior at low speed). This would benefit my slow going commute.

But at freeway speed, it seems like the fans, combined with the smaller openings, would cause freeway speeds to run hotter? Have you measured before/after temps?

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #50 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
No, actually it runs cooler.
They were 165-170F before.
Now, thermostatic controller turns fans ON anytime the temperature hits 125F. Actually, I can adjust controller to any value from 35F to 190F which works independently of the vehicle speed. They cycle even after the engine is off preventing the heat soak.

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 09-12-2014 at 06:01 AM.
post #51 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
If you converted to H4 headlights and use a higher wattage bulbs, you should add modern ceramic sockets/extensions to prevent plastic parts melt down.
Attached Images

snowrx likes this.
post #52 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 10:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
No, actually it runs cooler.
They were 165-170F before.
Now, thermostatic controller turns fans ON anytime the temperature hits 125F. Actually, I can adjust controller to any value from 35F to 190F which works independently of the vehicle speed. They cycle even after the engine is off preventing heat soak.
Ah - I like that part - didn't think of the heat soak being addressed after being parked. Although sounds like I'd need a bigger battery.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #53 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Prevention of the alternator belt shredding in high revving engine applications.

Freewheeling pulley, with a SPRAG clutch, allows the alternator to freewheel and bleed off some inertia between engine torque pulses and abrupt higher RPM engine speed changes.

Every time a cylinder is compressing, the crankshaft slows down. Every time a cylinder fires, the crankshaft accelerates, even at a "constant" RPM. Especially when there is high load.

Since drive belts can only "pull", the belt also speeds up and slows down which creates vibration and whipping. Since the alternator has the smallest pulley, it sees the most from these accelerations and provides the most rotational inertia. With the Sprag clutch, when the engine slows down, it prevents making the other (normally tensioned) side slack!
Esprit engines do not have a spring loaded idler pulley, like most of them.

Advantages are spelled out here:
http://www.ntn.co.jp/english/product...75_en_P124.pdf

One needs to find the largest OD pulley available to be able to machine a V-belt groove into it. Mine measured 71mm OD and was advertised as for Corvette application. Spent hours on eBay looking for a suitable donor. The one I have used did not have any part number (bought the whole alternator and separated the clutch pulley). I found similar part, I think.(?)

Part Brand: LITENS OAD
Other Part Number: TENDECO 920746
Manufacturer Part Number: 39329
Interchange Part Number: VALEO 2601628A, 2601628B

Attached Images

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 09-15-2014 at 05:48 PM.
post #54 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Don't laugh, there are actual cookbooks explaining how to cook stuff in the heat of the engine bay.
"Manifold Destiny"

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
post #55 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 10:26 AM

GEE , I always wondered what the Belly Pan looked like. My Esprit didn't have one . Is there a reason for the Pan, other than to keep the engine compartment cleaner?
post #56 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Freewheeling pulley, with a SPRAG clutch, allows the alternator to freewheel and bleed off some inertia between engine torque pulses and abrupt higher RPM engine speed changes.

Every time a cylinder is compressing, the crankshaft slows down. Every time a cylinder fires, the crankshaft accelerates, even at a constant RPM. Especially when there is high load.

Since drive belts can only "pull", the belt also speeds up and slows down which creates vibration. Since the alternator has the smallest pulley, it sees the most from these accelerations and provides the most rotational inertia. With the sprag clutch, when the engine slows down, it prevents making the other (normally tensioned) side slack!

Advantages are spelled out here:
http://www.ntn.co.jp/english/product...75_en_P124.pdf

One needs to find the largest OD pulley available to be able to machine a V-belt groove into it. Mine measured 71mm OD and was advertised as for Corvette application. Spent hours on ebay looking for a suitable donor. The one I have used did not have any part number. I found similar part, I think.(?)

Part Brand: OEM (LITENS) OAD
Other Part Number: TENDECO 920746
Manufacturer Part Number: 39329
Interchange Part Number: VALEO 2601628A, 2601628B

SpragClutch - YouTube
Alternator pulley comparsion.wmv - YouTube
Solid Pulley vs OAP vs OAD - YouTube
So you already did this on your Esprit for the alternator? Cost?

Kenny; Dallas Tx
==============================
1995 Lexus SC300 - SOLD
1990 Nissan 300ZX - SOLD
1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo - SOLD
1996 Porsche 911 Cab - SOLD
1989 Porsche 928 S4 - SOLD
1994 Lotus Esprit S4
Test pipe, Ramspott & Brandt center exit exhaust, 2002 center exhaust valance, Alunox performance exhaust manifold, Spax coilovers with Eibach front springs, Elise steering wheel
post #57 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS4s View Post
GEE , I always wondered what the Belly Pan looked like. My Esprit didn't have one . Is there a reason for the Pan, other than to keep the engine compartment cleaner?
The pan reduces the likelihood that something will fly up into the timing belt.

It provides an aero effect (<--- this from the NO WING guy)

It concentrates the oil drips so that they always land in the cafeteria tray that you keep under the car, in it's parking space.

#1 is the serious answer.

As with all things Lotus, there are some minor variations, but mine looks like this (from the engine , top side):

AceVentura likes this.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #58 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 04:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS4s View Post
And if you want to fabricate your own, here's the measurements

Lotus_88_esprit_undertray Photos by eberin | Photobucket

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #59 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
Loose washers

Fasteners with loose washers are a shear menace and major PITA.

Fortunately, Big Three automotive have solved this problem a while ago by introducing fasteners with captive washers.(See posting # 19).

I have found a variety of nice nuts on eBay and decided to replace all of them (gradually).
Just enter "Free Spinning Washer Nuts " in the search box.
Or...
Go to: http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Nut...sher_s/122.htm

After 72 hrs of salt spray (80% RH) coating started flaking; no signs of rust, though.

AVOID black oxide coatings - not durable enough.
Attached Images

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 09-21-2014 at 06:31 AM.
post #60 of 493 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Integrator

Garage
ELECTROPLATING

If you need to re-plate parts, this company is very good and priced reasonably.
They also do CADMIUM in black, gold and transparent colors.

Electro Plating Specialties, Inc.
2436 American Ave
Hayward, CA 94545

"Electro Plating Specialties - Top Quality, Low Prices, & Fast Work in Metal Finishing!"

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 10-09-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in