71 Lotus Elan search - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mdwhitaker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

71 Lotus Elan search

Hello to all- I am beginning to search for my deceased father's 71 Lotus Elan S4 FHC Federal Spec purchased new in Tring, England in August 71 , brought back to Northern Virginia in 74 and sold to a gent from Washington, D.C. in 1989 with 59k miles on the clock. The color was Lotus Yellow with engine rebuild by Lloyd Cayes of Lotus, LTD in 1982. I don't have sale papers , just original military registration with chassis # 0033J. Build date of Nov 70 so VIN # would be 7011--0033J. Andy Graham-Lotus archivist advises the missing batch# should range from 21-24. Initial check on lotuselanregistry.com was unsuccessful.

My goal here, aside from learning the car's subsequent history, would be acquiring the car for restoration if possible. I drove this car a lot as a young guy and miss it -the one that got away. Realizing that this is a longshot, if my search is not successful then I will try to acquire another Elan, preferably S4/Sprint DHC with restoration within last few years. Thirty years is too long to go without the finest classic sports car ever produced. Thank you all for your time.

Cheers,Mark
SS Lotus Elise likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 02:24 AM

I hope you find it. Best of luck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwhitaker View Post
Hello to all- I am beginning to search for my deceased father's 71 Lotus Elan S4 FHC Federal Spec purchased new in Tring, England in August 71 , brought back to Northern Virginia in 74 and sold to a gent from Washington, D.C. in 1989 with 59k miles on the clock. The color was Lotus Yellow with engine rebuild by Lloyd Cayes of Lotus, LTD in 1982. I don't have sale papers , just original military registration with chassis # 0033J. Build date of Nov 70 so VIN # would be 7011--0033J. Andy Graham-Lotus archivist advises the missing batch# should range from 21-24. Initial check on lotuselanregistry.com was unsuccessful.

My goal here, aside from learning the car's subsequent history, would be acquiring the car for restoration if possible. I drove this car a lot as a young guy and miss it -the one that got away. Realizing that this is a longshot, if my search is not successful then I will try to acquire another Elan, preferably S4/Sprint DHC with restoration within last few years. Thirty years is too long to go without the finest classic sports car ever produced. Thank you all for your time.

Cheers,Mark
There was an older gentleman in Ellicott City, MD (not too far from DC), and who lived a few blocks from me, who had a car just as you describe around that time frame. Racking my brain trying to recall his name, it will come to me. Haven't spoken to him in years, I'm not sure he's still living. I know he stored it at Treasured Motorcars in Reisterstown, MD during his ownership. You might contact them, although a few years ago I reached out to them for records on an Esprit of mine, that I owned during the same time frame, on which they worked. They indicated they no longer had records dating back to the early/mid 80s.

A long shot, there are a lot of vintage Lotus around the Mid Atlantic area. Get in touch with the DC Chapter of Lotus Ltd. If the car is still in the area, somebody will know about it. Not many, if any of the old timers in that group come to Lotustalk. They could put out a call for the car in their monthly newsletter.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:28 AM

I would also check in with the people that run the British Car Shows in and around that area. Our marque is such a limited production, someone in that area should be of assistance.

Good luck. Would be a great story.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks- I emailed Phil Mitchell of the D.C. chapter of Lotus, LTD last week about the car and he is going to put out the word re the search. I'll probably put in an ad for the newsletter as well. By the way, forgot to list the engine # in case anyone is checking- G23874. Thanks. This seems to me a bit of car archaeology or "carchaeology"! I crack myself up.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in