Lotus Elan +2 battery - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Lotus Elan +2 battery

Hi. I need to buy a battery for my 1973 Elan+2S 130/5. Trouble is I haven't got the original which apparently was a "Exide 6 VTA 29 L" which means nothing to anyone today. Can someone tell me whether the terminals are on the forward side (ie next to the tank) or the after side (nearer the back of the car). As the earth (ground) strap is on the left when looking forward in the boot (trunk) that must be the negative terminal. The terminals are bolt through not the post type terminal. Judging by the bent piece of metal with a bolt through it, I guess the battery had a lip on the left end of the casing to clamp it down to the boot floor. Any other information about a suitable battery would be helpful so I can find a suitable alternative.
Many thanks John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 04:26 AM

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 11:41 PM

Welcome to the forum John. Agree with Sir Lotus to also join lotuselan.net as well for your car.

Terminals to the front of the car by the fuel tank. For Negative Ground, negative terminal to the left.

I just bought a battery that would fit the space and rigged up a nylon strap tie-down. I also use conventional battery clamp attachments. I understand your side of the pond you use different battery sizing conventions, so might not be that helpful, but I believe the size I found would fit was a BCI Group 90, as listed here for dimension data

GOLDEN GATE LOTUS CLUB - Standard BCI Automotive Battery Sizes

Here is a link to the Elan forum with some helpful info

new battery : Electrical / Instruments by LotusElan.net

A few other tips

I also moved the main chassis ground from the bolt on the trunk floor to the right side body / chassis bolt located behind the seat back on the tower. This provides better grounding to the chassis and is a common mod. If you are doing this mod the battery terminal orientation is less critical as both cables run up the tower top.

The critical battery dimension is the height. Not sure if your wooden floor is cut to accommodate the battery height? When I rebuilt the car I cut new floors to remove the cutout and ran 3/4" battens around the floor perimeter to raise it above the battery lugs. This will also accommodate a wider spare tire if required.

Consider installing a battery cutout switch so you can store the car with all electrical systems disconnected. Your car has the benefit of more fuses, but my car originally only had two. I have rewired it and it is all good, but we recently lost another of these great cars to an unfortunate electrical fire...

Fire Sale lotus elan 2 1969 : Lotus Elans and Plus 2's for Sale by LotusElan.net

HTH

Stu

Stu
Calgary AB
'69 Elan Plus 2
'00 Esprit V8
'87 BMW M6 & '84 BMW R100RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in