My M100 project driver - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My M100 project driver

My intro and pics here https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f221...-coast-329569/
Got a 91 Elan M100, 106k miles, needs some TLC and paint job, window regulators are main thing, traded a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire for it. PO seems to have ADD like me, took door panels off and windows out before he found regulators, a headlight motor needs bolting back up, a lot of parts and pieces disassembled. It sat for a while and got dirty, the clear coat is peeling, had been rear ended and bumper repaired but still some small FG damage in trunk floor and rear quarters. Brakes are real weak but it drove on my trailer, has aftermarket muffler, AC is inop.
So far I cleaned it with a little soap and water, the water was so black. I jacked the front end up and pulled the wheels, ordered new pads, I sanded on the clear coat a few nights ago, fired it up for a while to listen to it, need to put some front brakes on it and start driving it, can't wait, it was a barn find that found me. It came with the original wheels, I like them better than the 10 spoke wheels that are on it, although they might make good track wheels. Another night I found an aluminum top/hood weatherstrip bar that was bent, took a bit to straighten it out and epoxy it to the metal shim bar for reinforcement, then bolt it back to the top frame.
Last night I tested the pop up headlights, I had assembled the passenger side the night before, but it didn't pop up. There are a few rodent chewed wires behind the center console/dash that I can see and touch through the ashtray hole, but not enough room to strip the wires, looks like the PO was trying to pull the AC/heat control to gain better access, the wires look the same colors as the ones going to the headlight. Some pics of it the PO sent me, and two I took, time flies when you're in the garage
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 11:58 AM

Garage
Ouch. That poor girl looks like she needs quit a bit of work to get her in good condition.

If your looking at getting it back on the road and keeping it. Drop me a pm. I may be able to help you out with whatever parts / manuals / information that you need.

Evora 2010. Canyon red
Elan M100. Pacific blue

Web page: www.ElanM100.com
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 12:32 PM

I have such a soft spot for M100's...good luck...and if you tire of it, PM me...

2012 Lotus Evora S GP Edition #14/14
1995 Lotus Esprit S4
1991 Toyota MR2
1987 Renault GTA

www.91MR2.multiply.com

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 01:48 PM

1st thing is to get active on Lotus Elan Central ? Index page to get real help, part sources...

They are great cars, I currently have two.

Good luck
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So far I jacked the front end up and pulled the wheels, ordered and got new brake pads, I sanded on the clear coat a few nights ago, fired it up for a while to listen to it, need to put some front brakes on it and start driving it, can't wait, it was a barn find that found me. I cleaned it with a little soap and water, the water was so black. It came with the original wheels, I like them better than the 10 spoke wheels that are on it, although they might make good track wheels. Another night I found an aluminum top/hood weatherstrip bar that was bent, took a bit to straighten it out and epoxy it to the metal shim bar for reinforcement, then bolt it back to the top frame.
Attached Images

Last edited by 55chevy; 10-17-2015 at 05:01 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 08:57 AM

Good progress. Use this opportunity to clean, clean, clean. Cleaning things seem to focus my mind to see issues. Tackling the headlights (do both sides) will get you familiar with some more areas of the car, make the car look better and is inexpensive. When I did mine I found un-tightened clamps for the inter-cooler piping, loose horn mounts and lots of dirt.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Changed the oil and filter, not as hard as some posts I've read. Got new pads, installed and bled brakes, still kind of soft so ordered front rotors, installed them, late so didn't test it. Yesterday took wheels off and painted them, I was thinking silver, but had a full can of black Krylon Fusion, seems a popular wheel color, at least with the younger crowd, they turned out ok. Went to a cruise in last night, highlighted with pink duct tape, Breast Cancer Awareness. Really need new window regulators/motors, PO said it only came with one, and it's missing a lot of bolts and screws for inner fenders and door panels, at least those are available locally. Anyone interested in front license/tag mount brackets I removed?
Attached Images

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Went to a car show in Fairhope AL couple weeks ago, took the long way home, 170 mi round trip, nice cloudy day, perfect for topless cruising. A guy at the show with a McLaren Mike from New Orleans said he had a couple M100s.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in