I seem to have been a little tardy with posting updates on here, for that I apologise.
Since last post we discovered that, despite a lot of triangulating of the chassis, it twists in the middle like a stick of liquorice when one corner is picked up, not conducive to good handling when we plan to put over 500BHP through it.
So, after much heart searching, I conceded that we would have to install a full roll cage, from the front suspension uprights to the rear ones. Once that was decided a design had to be formulated, not easy when there isn't a floor to weld tubes to. The 'off the shelf' offerings were useless for our requirements so it had to be bespoke.
The car was at the fabricators for 4 weeks as we designed the cage as we went. The first couple of days were spent trying to get chassis and body level. Had to give up and just level the chassis as the body is badly out of shape. We built the cage square to the chassis and I will sort the body out as best I can once I get back home. For example, the right hand A pillar was 20mm shorter than the left hand one! I had to cut it so the roof could be squared up and the front hoop fitted properly. The green tape is holding it in place.
I was there every day to discuss and agree each tube. Fortunately, I had expert help on hand, Graham Hatherway of GH Racing.
I have used T45, as this reduced the weight of the cage by 13.5Kg whilst still being stiffer than CDS.
The side tubes will be connected to the chassis with 38mm T45 which will double as seat fixings, once I harden up on the seat positions.
I recently noticed that we, somehow, managed to leave out the tube between the rear uprights. This will be rectified in the next couple of days.
This is Martin the fabricator, not me :-)