Radical rebuild of my 1967 Elan - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Pattern for windscreen made.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 05:04 AM

Projects like this have always fascinated me... perhaps one day when I finish raising my brood and they've all left, I will have enough of my garage space back to tackle something similar. Thanks for sharing!

-M

2008 Exige S240
post #63 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 06:21 AM

This is incredible. I wish I had the knowledge and skills to do this. I love Jay leno's elan. Does anyone know the estimated cost of having something like that built?

post #64 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

The cost would be proportional to what spec you decided on. Even then I doubt that a builder would be able to give you a firm price. However, I have been told by my engine builder (who also builds cars ) that he would have charged a six figure sum!

That sounds a lot but just adding up the large items:
Engine - 10,000
Gearbox - 6,000
Diff - 1,000
Chassis/rear suspension - 3,600
Front suspension - 1,000
Wheels - 1,400
Tyres - 1,300
Roll cage - 2,200
ECU - 1,500
Wiring - 4,000 (this look very high, but it will be done by CE Electronics who aren't cheap)

comes to 29,800 and that is just the cost of the parts. I am not going to add up the cost of everything else, I don't want to know :-)
post #65 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Started to prepare dash for installation. However, I won't be fitting it until I have made the bulkhead. All in CF of course :-)

post #66 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 04:34 AM

Garage
subscribed.

this is a badass build

'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, ce28n, ic7 dash...
post #67 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

First trial fit of dash and centre console - and they bloody well fit!!!!

The design has been kept similar to the original, hence the rather boxy look. I could have made it all curvy but it isn't a new car and old cars had pretty straight dashes.

Last edited by stevebroad; 07-06-2016 at 10:03 AM.
post #68 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Made first part of rear panel complex. Not finished (more sanding and filling required) but I had to see if it fitted. Fortunately it does. Three more sections to make.

Trial fitted switch panel. A quick coat of paint so as to get a better idea as to how it will look. A tad sparse, but the glove box will help (same style as switch panel)

post #69 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Late night musings :-)

post #70 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Preparing the next sections of the rear panel mould.

post #71 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Made the sides of the rear panel today. Up until now I have been using the standard resin hardener, as this gives me 90 minutes pot life. However, it takes 30 hours to cure, slowing down part fabrication. As I have got better at laying up I have started to use the rapid hardener. This only has around 15 minutes pot life but cures in around 6 hours, meaning that multiple parts can be made in a day.

To that end I prepared to make the two side sections of the rear panel. To speed things up even more I used a preformed bag so that I only have to seal one end rather than making bags from a roll of bagging film.

Almost a disaster as I couldn't get a vacuum. The pump was pulling air but not enough to squeeze the carbon. Couldn't find any leaks so decided to put another bag around the existing one and attach my workshop vacuum. This worked as it added a little extra squeeze, allowing the main pump to do its job, just. The vacuum pump was also making funny noises so I though that it was on its way out. Great, it is only a couple of months old, so I was already working out what I was going to say to Easy Composites tomorrow.

I had enough of the proper film to make a bag for the second panel so this I did. Took my time making sure it was airtight and it worked a treat! I guess a combination of thin plastic (not designed to hold a high vacuum so probably slightly porous) and not a perfect airtight seal caused the problems with the first panel. The pump stopped making funny noises so that's a relief.

Removed the first panel from the mould and it seems OK, but I will reserve judgement until I can compare it's weight with the second panel.
Attached Images

LotusGreenvilleSC likes this.
post #72 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 04:13 AM
Nein Kinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebroad View Post
Up until now I have been using the standard resin hardener, as this gives me 90 minutes pot life. However, it takes 30 hours to cure ...
Most of us don't have an autoclave in our garage, but you can make a substitute that will dramatically speed up hardening and provide a measure of post curing. I use a thermostatically controlled electric space heater and a cardboard box with air inlets and outlets big enough to contain the part. I arrange these to produce a surface temperature on the part of about 140 F (60C). Four to six hours at this temperature results in hard resin that's ready to be pulled from the mold (I'm using West Systems resin and their slow and fast hardeners). I have not detected any noticeable shrinking or warping when comparing this to room temperature curing.

If handled improperly, electric heaters, flammable resin and cardboard can result in a fire. Either monitor the situation in person or set it up in an area that will not endanger life and other property should a fire occur. If you have access to a metal container (like an upside down garbage can with the edge propped up), fire hazard can be substantially reduced.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #73 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Hi Glen

That is an interesting idea. Now that I can cope with the fast cure hardener I am down to less than 6 hours anyway, but I will discuss with my resin supplier whether doing what you suggest will significantly reduce this time.

I use an old domestic electric oven for small parts I make with Prepreg and am in the process of making a large oven using plywood and insulation board so I can make the side window surrounds in Prepreg. It needs to be around 900mm (3 ft) x 900mm x 100mm (4"). I need between 100-120 deg C so have bought heater elements, fans and a thermostatically controlled temperature controller. This could also be used for wet lay carbon, so maybe I should make it taller :-)

Steve
post #74 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Worked on CF centre console last night. The ends will be trimmed to fit the dash and rear panels once they are in place. Photo is a little grainy due to low light conditions.

post #75 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 09:45 PM

MORE!!!!!

Jeff
1990 Esprit SE
post #76 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 01:32 PM

Awesome car, I had a chance to drive this one to a carshow in October 2016. Perky!
Attached Images

shay2nak likes this.
post #77 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

I have been a tad tardy on updates recently.

Since I last posted I have fitted a full roll cage, tied in to the rear suspension turrets and close to the front turrets. The front fibreglass is being replaced with a one piece carbon fibre flip front. Had a few issues with deformation of the mould so some repairs still to be done. Wheels and tyres are just to hold the car up. I have yet to harden up on the final choice.

All internal panels, floor, dash, boot floor and rear wheel tubs are now carbon fibre.
Attached Images

Last edited by stevebroad; 05-07-2018 at 01:36 AM.
post #78 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Photos relating to previous post.
Attached Images

post #79 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Fuel system.
Bottom section of rear bulkhead.
Steering wheel.

For some reason site is rotating some photos and I can't work out how to rectify this, sorry.
Attached Images

Last edited by stevebroad; 05-07-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in