Is there such a thing as a FWD (front-wheel drive) sportscar? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
View Poll Results: Can Front-wheel Drive cars be sportscars?
Yes 193 46.28%
No 85 20.38%
H#ll no! 139 33.33%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:13 AM

The Type R has often been called the best handling FWD car in the world. So, I'll vote yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1
Oops! my bad, I thought this was the "can sedans be sports cars also?" thread and voted yes where I should have voted H#ll no!...sorry
No biggie. BMW for the win. I love the advertisements they have in print... I wish I had links to them, e.g. the picture of the rabbit with big front legs and puny rear ones LOL!

Here's our take on this subject:
post #23 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:05 PM

Let's not forget front-wheel drive cars with mid-ship transmissions.

"The performance handling machines..."

post #24 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, but ?QUE?

FWD + Mid-ship transmission? What is that? Most FWD cars have engines which are transversely mounted, the transmission is literally *right there*.
post #25 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:56 PM

Now if we say that all wheel drive cars are sportcars (Audi Quattro, etc) how much do you want to bet that someone will say that their lowered 4X4 is a sportscar?

What about a Ford Lightning

Didnt GMC make a 4wd small Blazer about 10 years ago that had great acceraltion and goodhandling and was lowered? I think it was called a Typhoon or something like that. Had better acceraltion and handling than a lot of cars
post #26 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:06 PM

Yup, they also had a pickup version (S10 based) called the Syclone.
post #27 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

xxxotic: Lamborghini Diablo VT, Lamborghini Gallardo, Lamborghini Murcielago, Bugatti Veyron.... they're all AWD and very much so sports cars.

The GMC trucks you're thinking of are the Sy/Ty twins (Syclone, GMC S10 based, and the Typhoon GMC Jimmy based). Same(?) motor as the turbo G-body cars (Buick GN, Regal T-Type, GNX) and the awesome 25th Anniversary Turbo Trans-Am. Sadly none of these are sportscars for purposes of this discussion, but much more sportscars than FWD "sporty" cars are.
post #28 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:19 PM

I went to SCCA driver's school in an 850 Austin Mini in the 60s. It was not very fast, but kept up with Sprites and Spitfires. The 1275 Mini Cooper could kick some serious sports car tail. As I recall, there were a couple in the 2005 SCCA Runoffs in Topeka.
post #29 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlypSide
Would this imply that you could remove the rear wheels in cornering and it would have no effect on the car? If that's not the case, your checklist is wrong.
Quote:
The GMC trucks you're thinking of are the Sy/Ty twins (Syclone, GMC S10 based, and the Typhoon GMC Jimmy based). Same(?) motor as the turbo G-body cars (Buick GN, Regal T-Type, GNX) and the awesome 25th Anniversary Turbo Trans-Am. Sadly none of these are sportscars for purposes of this discussion, but much more sportscars than FWD "sporty" cars are.
The Syclone and Typhoon did not share an engine with the GN/T-type/GNX, nor with the Turbo T/A. The Sy/Ty's have a 4.3L turbo V6. While the general specss are similar between it and the 3.8L Buick turbo V6, they aren't based on the same design.

Also, you don't think the 1989 Turbo T/A was a sports car? It's a car based on speed, handling, and affordability over comfort, practicality, or refinement. What's it take to be a sports car, an exotic badge or a big pricetag?
post #30 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Rei

I vote Hell No, Sorry not a big fan of the FWD layout too much understeer for my taste and well the line is just not as good as a RWD midship when it comes to cornering. And come on as little kids we learned that FWD is no fun riding on tri-cycles.

Now if the question is a FWD "sporty" then that would be a yes. But since it's if a FWD is a sports car my answer would still have to be no.

Kids in the Back seat causes Accidents
Accidents in the Back Seat causes Kids
Moral Stick with a Two Seater
post #31 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

zr1:

About the checklist? It's humor Of course those FWD cars need their rear wheels, what else would hold up the groceries in the trunk?

Thanks for the correction on the Turbo G-body versus Sy/Ty powertrain stuff, anyone ever squeeze the 4.3L into the G-bodies? *interesting*

The T/A is a hot ride, but I don't think it's a sportscar, it's more of a ponycar/muscle car to me, or an American GT (back seats).
post #32 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the correction on the Turbo G-body versus Sy/Ty powertrain stuff, anyone ever squeeze the 4.3L into the G-bodies? *interesting*
Not that I know of, but I wouldn't necessarily know. I suspect the Buick 3.8L has a much bigger aftermarket than the Vortec 4.3L motor.

A ponycar that can handle isn't a sports car? I guess what's a sports car then?

I wouldn't call the Turbo T/A a musclecar. I always think of musclecars as big sedans that also have huge motors. The T/A has a horrible back seat and a pretty small trunk. The GN's were definitely musclecars.
post #33 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

zr1fan:

Along those lines I'd say the 25th Anniv. T/A is a GT then (as it's got backseats), but even though they're musclecars I've also seen pictures of GN's set up to road race (awesome).
post #34 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P90Puma
M100 Elan...
... is the reason I voted "no" instead of "hell no". It does kind of gray the lines a bit, but it's unique, and was a complete failure. (coincidence?) It's kind of like using the International CXT to prove that semi-trucks can be considered SUVs, imo.

post #35 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 11:59 AM

Although rare, mid-ship FWD transmissions enable a better weight distribution by mounting the engine longitudinally behind the front axles. Another benefit is reduced torque steer.

The Acura Legend is one example of this.

k.

"The performance handling machines..."
post #36 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

66 to 43 say: No (the majority of which say "Hell No"). Did I mention that I love Elisetalk?
post #37 of 628 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I'm going with a helll no
I would have to say yes - based on the generally accepted definition of a sports car - two seat car, designed as a soft top, for the fun of driving....... They have existed.

I don't want to resurrect that thread again.......otherwise things could get out of hand..............

'07 Land Rover LR3
'07 Black Audi RS4
'06 Silver Exige - gone for now
'04 Silver Audi S4 - departed
'05 Black Porsche Boxster - departed
post #38 of 628 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 01:57 PM

I'd say yes.

Simply because of the M100.

1992 Mazda Miata (FINALLY, a sports car!)
A couple of old Mk2 VW diesel parts cars
post #39 of 628 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transio
... is the reason I voted "no" instead of "hell no". It does kind of gray the lines a bit, but it's unique, and was a complete failure. (coincidence?) It's kind of like using the International CXT to prove that semi-trucks can be considered SUVs, imo.
Perfect, my sentiments exactly.

2007 Exige S. delivered on 1/2/07. Chrome Orange,touring,track,LSD,TC, Stage II and Starshield. Still considering performance/power upgrades however, I am extremely impressed by the performance/power of the S. IMHO, it definitely does not need to be upgraded. Not for the street, anyway.
There is no other car for any amount of money that I would rather own and drive.
post #40 of 628 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 05:48 PM

In 1956 SAAB made 6 prototype cars called the Sonett. The Sonett had an aluminum chassis, a fiberglass body, and no roof. The car weighed 1100 pounds. The drivetrain layout was front drive with the engine behind the transaxle. SAAB had the 2 stroke engine run the opposite direction compared to the production cars with the engine in front of the transaxle. A 2 stroke engine can be run in either direction. From 1966-1974 SAAB produced the Sonett as a production car which was completely different. Just a little history on an interesting car. I will leave it up to your oppinion if you want to call any Sonett a sportscar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in